"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I'm so sorry to hear this Barbara, but really glad you know what it is. If it doesn't respond to treatment as fast or as well as the doc would like, be sure and mention to him that you have cats - and new kittens, right? There is a particular bacteria common in cats' mouths and on their claws, to some extent, which can cause a very nasty infection that quickly progresses to cellulitis. I believe the bacteria is a Pasteurella type and is tough to get rid of - often requiring hospitalization for IV antibiotics. As I recall, it responds best to high doses of penicillin.

I got it once from a relatively minor cat bite on my wrist when I was working in a vet clinic. It swelled hugely and was red and hot overnight and it also made me feel very sick. Thankfully, I knew what it was and got on antibiotic within 24 hours and it responded very well. Another girl who worked there got it once and had to be hospitalized for about a week. Anyway, mention it to the doc when you see him/her and in the mean time, take good care of yourself, my friend.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
Master Chef
Wow Barb that came out of nowhere, but then it usually does doesn't it? Glad you are getting it taken care of, it is nothing to play with. I have had it three times, twice associated with Carbuncles (one where the sun don't shine LOL) and once on my face. Very unpleasant stuff!

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #13
Head Chef
Barbara, I am so glad you had the wisdom to get medical attention. Good for you. Hope you feel better really soon, and please keep us posted on your progress.
Attie - so sorry to hear about your business. What rotten luck! I hope a better opportunity comes along for you, and that your cellulitis is over and done!
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Thanks everyone. When I first got up my leg wasn't hurting, which was good. Then I stood up to go to the bathroom. Until I finished in there and made back to the bed, it literally felt like millions of red-hot needles were stabbing me. Talk about bawling my head off. The next time it was just as bad, but only until I got into the bathroom. The last time it wasn't too bad. It is still red, but hopefully the pain is going away.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #15
Master Chef
have they checked for borreliosis/Lyme disease?
It sounds very much likely....

but it's good to hear you feel better now...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Oh man, Barbara!! I'm so sorry you are sick!

I had to look up cellulitis, because if I'd known about it, I'd since forgotten. Holy cow, that is SCARY!

Do you have any idea how or where you may have been infected with that bacteria?

Geez, I hope you are feeling better by now and continue to feel better quickly!

I had cellulitis last year, too. The bacteria are usually staph or strep, which are always on the skin. Sometimes they get inside the layers through a break in the skin - a scratch or even a paper cut. Usually people's immune systems can fight it off, but sometimes not, so an infection results.

Hope you feel better today, Barbara.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Hope you feel better soon Barbara. It sucks that you're in so much pain. I really wish I could do something for you.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon
It feels better today, but we're talking degrees. When I first get up it still burns like fire, but yesterday it was better each time. Hopefully today it will be too. We're going back for a follow-up visit this afternoon. I hate that I couldn't go to church with James. I'm glad he went though. He told me to try to be ready to go by the time he gets home, but I told him that with the way this makes me feel, I'm scared to take a bath or shower (which I need BADLY) while he is gone. So I will do that when he gets home.

As far as the cause, it is probably a combination of my bad habit of picking at things (came by it honestly--my grandfather was a picker) and the cats, and also possibly with the dog's help (he likes to lick my legs or feet now and then). Being little, the kittens scratch me up a lot when they are running around.

I just hope this stops hurting soon. I don't know which is worse, this or kidneystones. When my kidneystones are at their worst, I would say they are, but for the most part, this is pretty much tied with them.

The only good thing that has come out of this is that I have lost 10 pounds. Not a diet plan I would recommend!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #19
Master Chef
When my son had this, he was in so much pain, he was bawling too. I really sympathise with you!!
I hope you feel better real soon Barbara! I think we went through a week of it before he finally would go to the doctor. The only thing that we could figure on his was the ant bites.

One more thing, don't get out doing things the first day you feel better!! It will come back! Wait about a week before you do anything really active.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Thanks Stacy.

A quick question for those of you who have had it. When you tried walking (even when it wasn't quite as painful), were you ever unsteady on your feet? Sometimes I feel like I'm drunk--I kind of sway and have to steady myself. This is without painkillers. It happened before I got my prescriptions as well, so I know it's not the medicine.