"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
watch out. here come's mama with a lukewarm cloth!!!!

hope you're feelin' better, barbara.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #42
Head Chef
I to have cellulitits but not to the extent that some of you have and I agree it is very painful and none of my meds help with the pain. I have no idea where i got it
I have to swab my legs with some gooey stuff the doc gave me then wrap in sterile gauze and then wrap with ace bandage and after a day of being wraped my legs itch so bad I could screem, good luck with yours

Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #43
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Dave, call another doctor and ask if you should be wrapping it like that. I think a very light covering of gauze would be okay to keep germs out), but it seems like it needs to breathe. Mine didn't say to put anything on it. I'll pray for you.

Meanwhile, mine has had me in tears a lot tonight. It is hurting just lying in bed. I thought that was over.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #44
Master Chef
my medical book recommends warm-water soaks to hasten healing and relieve pain-----also recommends in addition to anything the dr. prescribes extra Vit. C will help---hope you feel better soon, both you Barbara and David. My daughter once had it on her ear........probably a bite of some sort caused it...but it cleared up with antibiotics
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #45
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Meanwhile, mine has had me in tears a lot tonight. It is hurting just lying in bed. I thought that was over.
How many days now have you had it Barbara, I'm on day 9 of the recurrence and it's just starting to improve a little. I'm thinking I might start taking some aspirin to thin my blood and help the circulation.
Now that you have started this thread a few more suffers have popped up, I was feeling quiet lonely a few weeks back.
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/../members/expatgirl-5319.html"
expatgirl[/URL]]extra Vit. C will help
Cool, I think beer has V/c in it
We are happy little Vegemites, happy as can be
attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #46
Head Chef
Barbara, surprise that the heat hurts. My husband looks so forward to the hot moist wraps, it bring the circulation back to the leg cold makes it worse.
also, his dr always says make sure you flat so there in no restrictions to the flow to the leg and you should elevate the leg.

Husband has always had it in his left leg, but in 2005 , after a heart attack and a triple by pass, they took a vein out of his right leg for heart bypass now he has it in both legs. Left is severe

The moist heat wraps is what they do everytime he is in the hospital.
We have it down to a science now, the minute he starts getting the pain and the fever, he starts on the antibodics and heat wraps and off his leg,

Dr gives us running scrip for antibodics 80.00 for 10 pills. So we always have it on hand His flares up are fewer and less time when it happens, Hasn't had to go to hospital for 2 yrs now.
Dr says keep up what you are doing its working. Especially since they wanted to cut off his leg 2 yrs ago.

Good Luck to all who have, I have seen what it does and the pain you go through.
I feel for you all
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #47
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I was surprised it is bothered by heat too. It looks like a really bad sunburn. In fact it has started peeling.

Right this second it feels pretty good, but I think that is because of the Hydrocodone. It usually just bothers me when I have to stand up, or after sitting too long, but it kept me from sleeping last night until I took a second Hydrocodone.

A lot of the red is gone. I know it is getting better. It's just that the main area is still pretty intense. The doctor had to move my appointment to Friday. Apparently she's never had this.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #48
Master Chef
Last time I was in the hospital, when it was on my face and in my ear, I asked if they could put moist heat on it to help relieve some of the pain. The Dr. smiled at me and said, "we are trying to get rid of the infection, not give it a home. We can get you more pain meds instead."

My Dr. says for circulation yes heat, and moist heat is better so it doesn't dry out your skin. For cellulitus she said no way, it loves the heat and that will only help it spread. I used heat on it once, and it got worse so fast it was amazing. Cold slowed it down, unfortunately heat feels better, LOL.

She also said to 'draw it out', IE bring the infection to the surface, you use alternating hot cold. I did that when I had a carbuncle on my stomach and it worked great, but there was no cellulitus present at the time and she said once that starts you can't use that method.

And I always start peeling once the cellulitus has started receding.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #49
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I am sticking faithfully to my Hydrocodone's, as I don't want a repeat of last night. It was up and down today, but there was improvement. I was able to walk to the living room. As soon as I stood still, it started throbbing and burning, but when I started walking the pain lessened. Walking is a little easier when I wear my Crocs.

I have to admit that I did something incredibly stupid a few hours ago. The other day I had rubbed a little Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream on a particularly dry patch. It didn't bother it, so today I gently rubbed some in to the whole thing. It felt really good... for about 5 minutes. Then it felt like someone had set my leg on fire! I grabbed a clean towel, got it wet with cool water, then carefully cleaned it off. About 10 minutes later, it was back to normal. I won't make that mistake again!

Anyway, I think I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef
Barbara, this has been a very difficult illness for you to fight through. I am happy to hear you almost done with it.

Hang in there.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote