I'm Still Sick, But Now I Know What I Have...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
As some of you know, I have been sick for a few days. I figured it was the flu, and I still might have had a touch of that. My leg, though, was the worst part of my problem. The lower part of my right leg was dark red and in extreme pain. By last night it was within a few inches of my knee. Walking the few steps to the bathroom was excruciating. Just lying in bed it sometimes hurt with nothing touching it, and other times things like the air from the fan, or the bed sheet made it hurt. Now and then Tony and Carlos (kitties) would run through like a thundering herd and hit my leg like a ton of bricks. That made me scream, pretty much.

So, off to the hospital. I have cellulitis. I'm now on one antibiotic two times a day and another antibiotic four times a day. He also prescribed a high dose Motrin and a pain killer. Truthfully I may hold out on using that one until I have a bad kidney stone episode. While I was almost ready last night for them to amputate that leg, I think I can get by with the Motrin. If not, I'll use them, but sparingly.

It feels a teeny bit better right now--until I try to walk. The first 10 or so steps are always the worst.

I've also got various aches and pains all around my body (swollen glands I think--I've had them through this whole process), and I woke up this morning feeling very achy all over. The doctor said it will probably get worst before it gets better. He drew a line around my leg, just above the redness. It it goes a little past that, it's ok, but if it goes, in his words, substantially above the line, I need to come back immediately. My first thought was that my substantial may be different than his, so I asked him, and he said to the knee. If all goes well, I have to go back Sunday night for him to check it.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO thankful that this didn't hit on our vacation. I would have been in worse agony than I already was.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Wow Barbara... that sounds bad. The discomfort had/had to make you miserable. I'm glad that you got to the doctor and on the way to getting better!!!

Thanks Sattie. Cellulitis can actually kill you, but it looks like we got there early enough that it hadn't progressed further. The main danger, I guess, is blood clots forming.

Thanks Barb. I really appreciate that.

Whew, I need to lie down again! I hate anything that keeps me away from here!

I know exactly how you feel Barbara, I contracted Cellulitis in both legs some six weeks ago, my doctor prescribed Ialex three times a day but no pain killers. On the seventh day I was ready to be rid of my legs but that night things turned around, but it took three courses over three weeks to clear. Six days ago I had recurrence and luckily I had a script left so got on to it early but it has still laid me low, keeping your feet elevated helps. Scaring is now going to be an issue, mine more so, and my doctor suggested Dermeze which I will try but I am keen on pure Emu oil. This is a dreadful disease which I am having great difficulty coming to grips with because I have always been very active.
To make my matters worse was that we had decided to sell our business which would have given us enough money to go in to early retirement or perhaps do some casual work. On the day we were to sign the contract our landlord advised our agent, they wouldn't tell us, that they wouldn't be issuing a new lease. We then had to just let out lease run out and walk away with nothing, then, just two weeks out of the shop I came down with this disease.

Oh man, Barbara!! I'm so sorry you are sick!

I had to look up cellulitis, because if I'd known about it, I'd since forgotten. Holy cow, that is SCARY!

Do you have any idea how or where you may have been infected with that bacteria?

Geez, I hope you are feeling better by now and continue to feel better quickly!

Lee

I'm so sorry to hear this Barbara, but really glad you know what it is. If it doesn't respond to treatment as fast or as well as the doc would like, be sure and mention to him that you have cats - and new kittens, right? There is a particular bacteria common in cats' mouths and on their claws, to some extent, which can cause a very nasty infection that quickly progresses to cellulitis. I believe the bacteria is a Pasteurella type and is tough to get rid of - often requiring hospitalization for IV antibiotics. As I recall, it responds best to high doses of penicillin.

I got it once from a relatively minor cat bite on my wrist when I was working in a vet clinic. It swelled hugely and was red and hot overnight and it also made me feel very sick. Thankfully, I knew what it was and got on antibiotic within 24 hours and it responded very well. Another girl who worked there got it once and had to be hospitalized for about a week. Anyway, mention it to the doc when you see him/her and in the mean time, take good care of yourself, my friend.

Wow Barb that came out of nowhere, but then it usually does doesn't it? Glad you are getting it taken care of, it is nothing to play with. I have had it three times, twice associated with Carbuncles (one where the sun don't shine LOL) and once on my face. Very unpleasant stuff!

Barbara, I am so glad you had the wisdom to get medical attention. Good for you. Hope you feel better really soon, and please keep us posted on your progress.
Attie - so sorry to hear about your business. What rotten luck! I hope a better opportunity comes along for you, and that your cellulitis is over and done!

Thanks everyone. When I first got up my leg wasn't hurting, which was good. Then I stood up to go to the bathroom. Until I finished in there and made back to the bed, it literally felt like millions of red-hot needles were stabbing me. Talk about bawling my head off. The next time it was just as bad, but only until I got into the bathroom. The last time it wasn't too bad. It is still red, but hopefully the pain is going away.

have they checked for borreliosis/Lyme disease?
It sounds very much likely....

but it's good to hear you feel better now...

Oh man, Barbara!! I'm so sorry you are sick!

I had to look up cellulitis, because if I'd known about it, I'd since forgotten. Holy cow, that is SCARY!

Do you have any idea how or where you may have been infected with that bacteria?

Geez, I hope you are feeling better by now and continue to feel better quickly!

Lee

I had cellulitis last year, too. The bacteria are usually staph or strep, which are always on the skin. Sometimes they get inside the layers through a break in the skin - a scratch or even a paper cut. Usually people's immune systems can fight it off, but sometimes not, so an infection results.

Hope you feel better today, Barbara.

Hope you feel better soon Barbara. It sucks that you're in so much pain. I really wish I could do something for you.

It feels better today, but we're talking degrees. When I first get up it still burns like fire, but yesterday it was better each time. Hopefully today it will be too. We're going back for a follow-up visit this afternoon. I hate that I couldn't go to church with James. I'm glad he went though. He told me to try to be ready to go by the time he gets home, but I told him that with the way this makes me feel, I'm scared to take a bath or shower (which I need BADLY) while he is gone. So I will do that when he gets home.

As far as the cause, it is probably a combination of my bad habit of picking at things (came by it honestly--my grandfather was a picker) and the cats, and also possibly with the dog's help (he likes to lick my legs or feet now and then). Being little, the kittens scratch me up a lot when they are running around.

I just hope this stops hurting soon. I don't know which is worse, this or kidneystones. When my kidneystones are at their worst, I would say they are, but for the most part, this is pretty much tied with them.

The only good thing that has come out of this is that I have lost 10 pounds. Not a diet plan I would recommend!

When my son had this, he was in so much pain, he was bawling too. I really sympathise with you!!
I hope you feel better real soon Barbara! I think we went through a week of it before he finally would go to the doctor. The only thing that we could figure on his was the ant bites.

One more thing, don't get out doing things the first day you feel better!! It will come back! Wait about a week before you do anything really active.

Last edited:
Thanks Stacy. :)

A quick question for those of you who have had it. When you tried walking (even when it wasn't quite as painful), were you ever unsteady on your feet? Sometimes I feel like I'm drunk--I kind of sway and have to steady myself. This is without painkillers. It happened before I got my prescriptions as well, so I know it's not the medicine.

:huh:Barbara

Back
Top Bottom