"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm Still Sick, But Now I Know What I Have...

As some of you know, I have been sick for a few days. I figured it was the flu, and I still might have had a touch of that. My leg, though, was the worst part of my problem. The lower part of my right leg was dark red and in extreme pain. By last night it was within a few inches of my knee. Walking the few steps to the bathroom was excruciating. Just lying in bed it sometimes hurt with nothing touching it, and other times things like the air from the fan, or the bed sheet made it hurt. Now and then Tony and Carlos (kitties) would run through like a thundering herd and hit my leg like a ton of bricks. That made me scream, pretty much.

So, off to the hospital. I have cellulitis. I'm now on one antibiotic two times a day and another antibiotic four times a day. He also prescribed a high dose Motrin and a pain killer. Truthfully I may hold out on using that one until I have a bad kidney stone episode. While I was almost ready last night for them to amputate that leg, I think I can get by with the Motrin. If not, I'll use them, but sparingly.

It feels a teeny bit better right now--until I try to walk. The first 10 or so steps are always the worst.

I've also got various aches and pains all around my body (swollen glands I think--I've had them through this whole process), and I woke up this morning feeling very achy all over. The doctor said it will probably get worst before it gets better. He drew a line around my leg, just above the redness. It it goes a little past that, it's ok, but if it goes, in his words, substantially above the line, I need to come back immediately. My first thought was that my substantial may be different than his, so I asked him, and he said to the knee. If all goes well, I have to go back Sunday night for him to check it.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO thankful that this didn't hit on our vacation. I would have been in worse agony than I already was.

Barbara

Old 07-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Master Chef

Wow Barbara... that sounds bad. The discomfort had/had to make you miserable. I'm glad that you got to the doctor and on the way to getting better!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks Sattie. Cellulitis can actually kill you, but it looks like we got there early enough that it hadn't progressed further. The main danger, I guess, is blood clots forming.

Barbara
Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Prayers and good thoughts have been sent ! Take care !
Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks Barb. I really appreciate that.

Whew, I need to lie down again! I hate anything that keeps me away from here!

Barbara
Old 07-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

Wow, I'm glad it went now too! I hope you get to feeling better really quick!!
Old 07-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. That came out of the blue.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

BE WELL!!!

babe
Old 07-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I know exactly how you feel Barbara, I contracted Cellulitis in both legs some six weeks ago, my doctor prescribed Ialex three times a day but no pain killers. On the seventh day I was ready to be rid of my legs but that night things turned around, but it took three courses over three weeks to clear. Six days ago I had recurrence and luckily I had a script left so got on to it early but it has still laid me low, keeping your feet elevated helps. Scaring is now going to be an issue, mine more so, and my doctor suggested Dermeze which I will try but I am keen on pure Emu oil. This is a dreadful disease which I am having great difficulty coming to grips with because I have always been very active.
To make my matters worse was that we had decided to sell our business which would have given us enough money to go in to early retirement or perhaps do some casual work. On the day we were to sign the contract our landlord advised our agent, they wouldn't tell us, that they wouldn't be issuing a new lease. We then had to just let out lease run out and walk away with nothing, then, just two weeks out of the shop I came down with this disease.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Head Chef

Oh man, Barbara!! I'm so sorry you are sick!

I had to look up cellulitis, because if I'd known about it, I'd since forgotten. Holy cow, that is SCARY!

Do you have any idea how or where you may have been infected with that bacteria?

Geez, I hope you are feeling better by now and continue to feel better quickly!

Lee