"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Executive Chef

I'm Such a Fool

I have a 17 year old and she works, goes to school, and is trying to get into college. Because of this, we needed a second car. In my first attempt to be totally unselfish I bought a Honda Passport this weekend for $900 because the paint wasn't perfect and it had a ticking noise that I looked up and is a common problem with the vehicle. I test drove it and purchased it from a dealer "as it". I expected it to need work but I didn't expect to only get it 50 miles and have it completely break down.

I know, $900, but I trusted the dealer when he said his girlfriend had been driving it and that he'd drive it anywhere and there were even receipts from South Carolina from a week ago in the car, so it looked like it had been driven. The test drive didn't reveal any issues and I trusted someone who said their son had cancer (kind of thought it would be bad karma for someone whose son has cancer to sell a lemon to a single mom).

I am such an idiot. The question is, now what do I do? My mechanic was supposed to pick it up last night be we had snow. Should I just dump it for $900 "as it" to someone else? I can't. I'd love to, but I can't for some reason.

I feel like such a fool trusting a dealer. Has anyone ever been this foolish? I'd like to feel like I'm not alone. I do get the idea of "too good to be true" but I didn't have huge expectations. I expected the car to need some work but I didn't expect it to only work for 50 miles and not even be able to get it to the garage for diagnosis.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Did the dealer not offer a warranty on the car??....Say 30 days or something??? Wait for your mechanic to pick up the car and give you a diagnosis, and cost of repair before making any decisions...

We all have trusted people, and gotten burned in some shape, form or fashion...IMO that does not make one a fool!

No go to your room and write 100 times...I am not a fool!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Do you have a "lemon law" in your state?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Glorie ~ I don't think so if you accept a car "as is." I also believe Lemon Law only refers to new cars, not used.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

Hi Calli,
I agree with uncle bob on this one. Have your mechanic check it out first. It may be something simple that has worn out. But, yeah $900.00 does sound too good.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm sorry, Callisto! That bites the big one! I have leased a car from a dealer and had nothing but problems shortly after.

Another story is ...I bought a car from a doctor, and I had the thing totally redone..... then the engine went. I didn't keep it after that. It's not the same thing, but I know how you feel.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Master Chef

South Carolina has a Lemon Law but you're right, it only applies to new cars.

Even though it was sold, "as is" you may have a right to redress based on any verbal assurances the dealer gave you.

What does it say in your contract?

You might also find this helpful: SCBar // Automobile Warranties
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I would look into the possibility of some recourse based on the assurance from the dealer, but you have other options without feeling guilty. You could probable sell it to a scrap yard for more than $900. I had a car that was totaled really bad, and I still got $1500 for it.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Well, my mechanic didn't ditch me, he took a snow day yesterday because his kids were out of school. He knows I can make him a bunch of money on my 2 cars so I didn't think he'd ditch me but I was worried.

It sounds like the first issue is the water pump which isn't expensive as far as parts go, it's just labor. We'll see what happens and what his estimate is. I don't want to call this dealer a fraud prematurely but if it needs too much work, he's going to get an earful plus I think he'll be the subject of a blog post, or several.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Master Chef

Before you blog about him, try to get your money back.

If he's uncooperative, report him to your state consumer affairs authority and the better business bureau.