I'm Such a Fool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I have a 17 year old and she works, goes to school, and is trying to get into college. Because of this, we needed a second car. In my first attempt to be totally unselfish I bought a Honda Passport this weekend for $900 because the paint wasn't perfect and it had a ticking noise that I looked up and is a common problem with the vehicle. I test drove it and purchased it from a dealer "as it". I expected it to need work but I didn't expect to only get it 50 miles and have it completely break down.

I know, $900, but I trusted the dealer when he said his girlfriend had been driving it and that he'd drive it anywhere and there were even receipts from South Carolina from a week ago in the car, so it looked like it had been driven. The test drive didn't reveal any issues and I trusted someone who said their son had cancer (kind of thought it would be bad karma for someone whose son has cancer to sell a lemon to a single mom).

I am such an idiot. The question is, now what do I do? My mechanic was supposed to pick it up last night be we had snow. Should I just dump it for $900 "as it" to someone else? I can't. I'd love to, but I can't for some reason.

I feel like such a fool trusting a dealer. Has anyone ever been this foolish? I'd like to feel like I'm not alone. I do get the idea of "too good to be true" but I didn't have huge expectations. I expected the car to need some work but I didn't expect it to only work for 50 miles and not even be able to get it to the garage for diagnosis.

Did the dealer not offer a warranty on the car??....Say 30 days or something??? Wait for your mechanic to pick up the car and give you a diagnosis, and cost of repair before making any decisions...

We all have trusted people, and gotten burned in some shape, form or fashion...IMO that does not make one a fool!

No go to your room and write 100 times...I am not a fool!!:LOL:

Hi Calli,
I agree with uncle bob on this one. Have your mechanic check it out first. It may be something simple that has worn out. But, yeah $900.00 does sound too good.

I'm sorry, Callisto! That bites the big one! I have leased a car from a dealer and had nothing but problems shortly after.

Another story is ...I bought a car from a doctor, and I had the thing totally redone..... then the engine went. I didn't keep it after that. It's not the same thing, but I know how you feel.

South Carolina has a Lemon Law but you're right, it only applies to new cars.

Even though it was sold, "as is" you may have a right to redress based on any verbal assurances the dealer gave you.

What does it say in your contract?

You might also find this helpful: SCBar // Automobile Warranties

I would look into the possibility of some recourse based on the assurance from the dealer, but you have other options without feeling guilty. You could probable sell it to a scrap yard for more than $900. I had a car that was totaled really bad, and I still got $1500 for it.

Well, my mechanic didn't ditch me, he took a snow day yesterday because his kids were out of school. He knows I can make him a bunch of money on my 2 cars so I didn't think he'd ditch me but I was worried.

It sounds like the first issue is the water pump which isn't expensive as far as parts go, it's just labor. We'll see what happens and what his estimate is. I don't want to call this dealer a fraud prematurely but if it needs too much work, he's going to get an earful plus I think he'll be the subject of a blog post, or several.

Before you blog about him, try to get your money back.

If he's uncooperative, report him to your state consumer affairs authority and the better business bureau.

Check with the Better Business Bureau in your state. If it hasn't been three business days since you bought the car, you may be able to get out of the deal.

Check with the Better Business Bureau in your state. If it hasn't been three business days since you bought the car, you may be able to get out of the deal.
I bought it Saturday, took possession Monday and it broke Tuesday. If Eric my Car Dude says it won't take too much to fix, I want to keep it. If it's going to cost all my savings, I'll hopefully either sell it with full disclosure of what's wrong or get this guy to sell it "on consignment". I'm pretty sure "as is" means what it says in this state. Not 100% sure but that's what I'm seeing on the internet. I did try and check him out on BBB but he's not listed. Not sure what that means.

I bought it Saturday, took possession Monday and it broke Tuesday. If Eric my Car Dude says it won't take too much to fix, I want to keep it. If it's going to cost all my savings, I'll hopefully either sell it with full disclosure of what's wrong or get this guy to sell it "on consignment". I'm pretty sure "as is" means what it says in this state. Not 100% sure but that's what I'm seeing on the internet. I did try and check him out on BBB but he's not listed. Not sure what that means.

Did you look at the link I provided for you upthread?

The one discussing the law surrounding car sales and warranties?

Did you look at the link I provided for you upthread?

The one discussing the law surrounding car sales and warranties?
I did but that's South Carolina and I'm in North. I am still doing internet research and waiting for my mechanic. I expected him 2 hours ago and he's still not here. :(

I happen to work at a used car dealership in New Jersey. If that happened to a car we sold "as is" if it only went 50 miles we would do something about it. Did you ask him for a refund? Or better yet if the car runs well except for the water pump you might ask him to sell you the part at cost - or you getyou get the part and ask him to do the labor for free. I do not know the dealer so I do not know if he knew about the water pump when he sold it to you. I have seen them go without any warning before. You also in most states have 3 days to renege on any contract. If he does not want to work with you then I would stop payment on the check if you paid by check - if you paid cash and have the reciept you may still have recourse if you reported the issue to him within 48 hours. It is very hard to find a car in the price range you are in - See if he will work with you. I am not sure what you mean when you say he did not ditch you - what did he tell you about the problem and did he offer to help you at all?

Callisto, you are not alone. My ex and I bought a capri many years ago from a dealer and we paid good money for this used car. The transmission blew the very next day. There was a warranty, but they insisted that it was okay when we got it and well after a lot of fighting we lost. The car ended up costing twice as much to fix as it did to buy and was never really any good. I am glad that it was only $900 for you, even though no one can afford to lose that much these days. I have you in my thoughts and prayers.

This car is cursed. I left the key on the shifter in case the mechanic came by while I was at the store, he didn't. I went out to get it and the key fell down into the shifter. I'm hoping to be able to retrieve it by removing the plastic around the shifter tomorrow in the light of day. If that doesn't work I'm going to increase the insurance and blow the thing up.

Have you talked to the dealer and what did he say??? Is he willing to work with you? If we had sold it my boss would just fix it because he feels its just not right to not fix since it happened so fast. Other dealers I know may have you get the part at cost and do the labor for free. I do not see on here what the dealer had to say about the whole thing. Please update for us - Thanks

Have you talked to the dealer and what did he say??? Is he willing to work with you? If we had sold it my boss would just fix it because he feels its just not right to not fix since it happened so fast. Other dealers I know may have you get the part at cost and do the labor for free. I do not see on here what the dealer had to say about the whole thing. Please update for us - Thanks
I am waiting for my mechanic to look at it before talking to the dealer that sold it to me. They are very far away and the rollback charge to get the vehicle there would be enormous. One I hear what my mechanic has to say, then I'll call him. I still feel foolish for not having Eric look at it first.

Back
Top Bottom