I'm thinking of getting a scooter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not so sure about mopeds or electric bikes. As owner of several bicycles, and I do my share of commuting by bike whenever practical, if I were in the market for a scooter I'd get a true, dedicated scooter, and not ones with pedals.

I think it's a great idea. I would do it.

(What?!! The Harley boy is thinking "scooter.")

You bet, in fact I'm thinking of it for myself.

I'm thinking installing a rack (on something) and actually going to see clients on a vehicle that doesn't gulp gasoline.

There are some larger scooters, capable of doing highway speeds, where the entire seat lifts up for storage. My sharpening tools could be stored there out of the weather. I only do the eastern part of my home county and by UPS delivery.

Failing that, I was thinking of making the bike a Harley Sporyster. Now, I realize that to many of you a Sportster is a heavy bike. Trust me, I rode one last week. To me, it's a scooter.

Win, lose or draw, with gas prices rising, we should think about this.

A scooter ins't a bike. a scooter can be easily folded up under your arm !

I think you are referring to a different scooter MW. The scooters here everyone is referring to are smaller motorcycle-ish type things. They require gasoline to run, not pushing with one foot type power.

Here's a neat looking scooter..

img_672973_0_b36c9a1b17089543ee8821427abb55bd.jpg

Perfect!

I've never seen one like that! do you have any details or is this just shot you took one day? I still want yellow one. I've never seen one like that. Really impressed me. Glad I brought the up the subject. Are you getting one roadfix? Thanks for sharing this with us. Now like Michael in FW said have to wait in line.

back in the day the 60's ... I had a Lambretta scooter. I also had a sidecar on it so my 2 sons could ride with me.

Whatever you do stay away from the Chinese made scooters they are impossible to get parts for. Trust me we tried, finally sold scooter for next to nothing.

Whatever you do stay away from the Chinese made scooters they are impossible to get parts for. Trust me we tried, finally sold scooter for next to nothing.

hrmmmm...never had a problem here, and actually, on the world market, Chinese scooters are the most abundant...

I've heard some nightmare stories about the Chinese bikes like the dual sports or offroad models. The brands using the Jongshen motors are the ones you want. And true, they are hard to get parts for so make sure you ask the salesperson where to get replacement parts before you buy one.

We love our scooters! DH rides his to work everyday (excluding rain or snow) and I ride mine all summer until school starts again. I strapped a basket to the back of mine (an old metal gym locker basket) so when I go to the store, I know if it fits in the grocery carry style basket, it will all fit between my basket and backpack.

DH has a Yamaha Zuma and loves it. It's a little bigger and heavier but he thinks that makes it a little more stable. Mine is a Tank (not sure who makes it). I like it but have had problems.

As has been suggested, find a good dealer and test drive a few to find the weight and size that is good for you. If you want some extra help, find out if anyone is offering a motorcycle class near you, they might let you come for their practice day (here they have a day set aside for cones and the like outside for people to practice turning, stopping and starting).

As far as the speed, scooters are not technically supposed to be on highways. If the speed limit is 55, it is off limits to scooters. At least that's the law here ... They can't get up to speed quickly enough and most are not even capable of reaching 55 due to a lower CC value (thus the reason for not needing a cycle or other special license). Because you might not be able to find a yellow one you like, you can also look at getting an orange reflective vest. They carry them at most running stores. Even though mine is a bright, neon green, I wear a bright orange sweatshirt because they see me before they see my scooter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom