I'm thinking of getting a scooter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I am seriously thinking of getting a scooter. Could someone tell me what brand of scooter they think would be best? Considering I am not real young do you think someone elderly would be able to handle one? Saw someone older than I am on scooter yesterday and piqued my curiousity. Do they all have gear shifts? Would like a yellow one so people could see me coming.

Thanks for being serious and giving me your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm partial to Yamaha in the Japanese brands. Scooters are getting pretty hard to come by though, being sold beforethey hit the showroom floor. The place I got my ATV at hardly had any selection compared to what they had last year.
And don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you do not need to shift on a scooter, and they all have a place to carry small items, moreso than a motorcycle. And I can only hope that a cycle license is required for as many as I see on the road. Good for putting around town. Bad on a highway or other 55 MPH road, unless the ones I see on highways (rarely) just can't keep up with traffic.

I LOVE mine, there I said it! lol. Where I come from EVERYBODY rides scooters(or mobile-ettes). I think they are fine for any age group.

I have Baja and love it. Yamaha makes a great line of scooters, as does Honda, and Aprilla.

Be sure to check your local craigslist for deals on both new and used.

As for gears shifts, most are fully automatic twist and go with CVT style transmissions. most also have a push button style starter, so kicking it to start is only in case the battery is low.

Last edited:
Aprilla was mentioned in an article USA Today had on scooters last week. They mentioned not being able to keep up with demand. Scooters are definitely the practical toy to have this year.

I average 90mpg and can cruise at 60-65mph, no worries. I mainly use it to get to and from the metro and run errands, but have gone into D.C. on a few occasions and have had no issues. And at $5.73 to fill up every two weeks, I love my gas bills!

I LOVE mine, there I said it! lol. Where I come from EVERYBODY rides scooters(or mobile-ettes). I think they are fine for any age group.

I have Baja and love it. Yamaha makes a great line of scooters, as does Honda, and Aprilla.

Be sure to check your local craigslist for deals on both new and used.

As for gears shifts, most are fully automatic twist and go with CVT style transmissions. most also have a push button style starter, so kicking it to start is only in case the battery is low.

I KNEW you were the ONE! Baja is what they all have here but again they tell me they don't make them anymore or they aren't available. Therefore I go to this site who I trust more than my family! (isn't that a quote hard to believe?) do I need to shift? All I want the thing for is in the city not on highway, motorcycles can go on highway. I know I will have to go to school to get the license, but isn't it worth it? TATT, aren't you cool without need of air conditioner? I see these people with windows up and A/C going and someone rides by looking great without any need for it. Me? I got to roll my windows down regardless if I have A/C or not. I just figure if I got to run to the store or church I can hop on the scooter.

Thanks for all your comments will 'digest' them after I get through fixing this meal. So happy I can count on all of you to not feel my thoughts are dumb!

The guy they bought their scooter from (Baja) are not completely honest but they really had no choice. They wanted that brand Only place here in town that handled it. Just our luck!

I KNEW you were the ONE! Baja is what they all have here but again they tell me they don't make them anymore or they aren't available. Therefore I go to this site who I trust more than my family! (isn't that a quote hard to believe?) do I need to shift? All I want the thing for is in the city not on highway, motorcycles can go on highway. I know I will have to go to school to get the license, but isn't it worth it? TATT, aren't you cool without need of air conditioner? I see these people with windows up and A/C going and someone rides by looking great without any need for it. Me? I got to roll my windows down regardless if I have A/C or not. I just figure if I got to run to the store or church I can hop on the scooter.

Thanks for all your comments will 'digest' them after I get through fixing this meal. So happy I can count on all of you to not feel my thoughts are dumb!

lol, even on the hottest of days, I am good to go...until a stop light comes along, lol. Not to mention, it is a fun way to get a little sun!

So long as they are under 50cc, you do not need to register or insure...heck, you don't even need a drivers license, just a valid ID. Any thing over 50cc is classified as a motorcycle. I have my M class because I do have a proper bike that I cruise on, but the scooter is my daily driver.

In the Kitchen said:
I am seriously thinking of getting a scooter. Could someone tell me what brand of scooter they think would be best?

One brand nobody has mentioned so far is Vespa ... I had 3-4 friends that had them when I was a kid and they never seemed to have any problems with them. They are all over Europe ... this could be getting into the argument of which is better - Ford or Chevy. With the price of gas going up - people are looking to the European solution for cheap motorized transportation ... sales are up for all brands of scooters - thus supplies are down. If you really want one - you may have to settle for what you can get - or be willing to wait for several months to get a specific make/model.

In the Kitchen said:
Considering I am not real young do you think someone elderly would be able to handle one? Saw someone older than I am on scooter yesterday and piqued my curiousity.

It's not as much about your age as it is about you abilities/capabilities. If you have any problems with your balance, coordination, reaction times or reduced peripheral vision ... I wouldn't suggest one. There are some 3-wheel scooters what might help if you have minimal balance problems - Vespa makes one ... I'm sure other makers do too.

In the Kitchen said:
Do they all have gear shifts?

Some are manual shift - some are automatic ... depends on make/model.

In the Kitchen said:
Would like a yellow one so people could see me coming.

Again - depends on make/model ... or what you can negoatiate with the dealer about getting a custom color paint job (either from the factory or post-production).

LICENSE TO DRIVE: Don't know where you live - but I would check with your Department of Transportaion - Driver's License division to see what the requirements are for your state. Here in Texas - you have to pass a driving test on your motorized bike even if it is below 50cc and you have a valid license for driving a car.

options

there are many electric bikes on the market now that look great. the most impessive i've found is the optibike. it costs the same as a small car but the beifits in the long run could outway the cost. plus it looks better.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are many electric bikes on the market now that look great. the most impessive i've found is the optibike. it costs the same as a small car but the beifits in the long run could outway the cost. plus it looks better.

Well ... technically - it's a moped, not a scooter. And, it's a hybrid - not totally electric ... and it has a higher center of gravity than a scooter so while an older person might be able to handle a scooter they might not be able to handle this "gizmo".

But - it is "interesting". I probably would have really enjoyed one of these when I was younger and lived in Colorado.

Last edited:
It is a hybrid - read the info they have on the site you posted:

If the Optibike is electric, do you really get any exercise?

Yes. Because the Optibike is electric, riders actually get more exercise. How? Due to the integration of the Motorized Bottom Bracket (MBB) the rider pedals as he/she normally would a regular bicycle. The Optibike just adds about 20 mph to whatever the rider pedals, making cycling much more fun! Imagine having Lance Armstrong’s legs, that’s what the Optibike does. When riders are having fun, they want to ride longer, and get more exercise in the process.

It's a Moped (motorized pedal device). Not the same as a scooter.

I'm partial to Yamaha in the Japanese brands. Scooters are getting pretty hard to come by though, being sold beforethey hit the showroom floor. The place I got my ATV at hardly had any selection compared to what they had last year.
And don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you do not need to shift on a scooter, and they all have a place to carry small items, moreso than a motorcycle. And I can only hope that a cycle license is required for as many as I see on the road. Good for putting around town. Bad on a highway or other 55 MPH road, unless the ones I see on highways (rarely) just can't keep up with traffic.

I know at least here you don't need a cycle license for a scooter.... and I think that's a bad thing. With so many people driving them and not having really a clue as to how......
Oh dear I think I've said too much.
:angel:

Tatt, can you send me a link to yours ? DH would looooooove one to ride the subway in the am.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom