Important - Share with everyone!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No kidding, one prop and you are in. Actually, I've done this myself, not with the intention of abducting, but to allow some space for patients and their family. I have offered to take the young ones to go look at the fish or the birds when they get a bit rowdy, they trustingly allow me, a stranger, to take their small child with me and the child will go. Even an offer of juice will work to separate a child from their parents. Scary indeed!!

Let's try not to scare people unduly. Over 75% of child abductions are by relatives and a portion of the other ones are by acquaintances.

I wasn't taught not to talk to strangers. I was taught that when talking to strangers never give my last name, parent's names, or address. I was also taught not to accept anything from strangers. I was taught that some strangers did BAD THINGS to children and lured them with candy, ice cream, and other stuff. I was also taught never to go anywhere with a stranger or get in their car.

I think that children who cautiously talk to strangers are more likely to pick up the feeling of when a stranger is dangerous.

When I was five or six years old a stranger tried to lure me into his car to show him something on a map. This was immediately suspect to me. I told him I couldn't read a map (which I couldn't) and that he should ask the cop who usually showed up at that intersection about that time of day. I had actually seen a motorcycle cop at that intersection about the same time most days.

It's that 25% we need to be very concerned about. I also don't feel that I am being alarmist about this issue.

It's that 25% we need to be very concerned about. I also don't feel that I am being alarmist about this issue.

You are not.

I disagree that most kids will detect "stranger danger". The video is evidence of that. It's why abductions happen - kids have a trusting nature.

I think most kids will talk to strangers no matter what the parents tell them. I think kids need to understand how to talk to strangers and how to deal with temptations to leave with them. Of course, some kids just won't be safe talking to strangers and parents have to deal with those kids differently.

I think most kids will talk to strangers no matter what the parents tell them. I think kids need to understand how to talk to strangers and how to deal with temptations to leave with them. Of course, some kids just won't be safe talking to strangers and parents have to deal with those kids differently.

That is what the video is about, kids talking to strangers even after being told, daily, not to.

I don't understand what you find objectionable about my bringing this to others notice.

That is what the video is about, kids talking to strangers even after being told, daily, not to.

I don't understand what you find objectionable about my bringing this to others notice.
I don't have any objection to you bringing this to the notice of others. Maybe I'm just grouchy today. I thought the title of the thread, "Important - Share with everyone!!" was a bit alarmist. I really would have a preferred a video that had some suggestions of what to do about the fact that kids were so willing to walk off with a stranger.

I'm afraid the takeaway for this video, for most parents, will be to tell the kids more emphatically not to talk to strangers, and I don't think that will work in most cases.

The video gave me chills. As roadfix says, we can never be too careful. I've got grands that age too, plus older and younger. Today's world is a dangerous one.

Good video. I remember my younger sister and I, probably 6 and 7, walking to school together. A man in a red pickup stopped and asked us for directions. He had something "funny" in his lap. My sister was going to get in the pickup with him to help, I told her no, grabbed her arm, and told her to keep walking. My mom had always told us to not talk to strangers.

Last edited:
Good thing you were cautious, Dawg and Taxy, or you may have ended up on "Unsolved Mysteries". :(

The video makes a good and strong point but, unfortunately, children are innately naive and will fall victim to their naivete regardless of the number of times we "remind" them about potential dangers. That's one of the reasons it's so difficult to be a diligent parent without being a "hovering" one.

Thanks for sharing, PF.

Now, parents are getting arrested for allowing their children to be "free range". I think the danger has always been there. In our area, there are still unsolved missing children cases going back many years.

Yes, raising a child to be friendly, but reserved with people they don't know is tough. We had "drills" with my nephew, who was very trusting. I would walk up to him and say "stranger" and then reach for his hand. He would shriek and run away to his mother. I had various co-workers who helped us who my nephew did not know, test him in the park and stores. He performed excellently.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom