In a world first, Switzerland deems it illegal to boil a lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The vegetarians (present company admired), have been screaming about animals with faces being hurt by harvesting them. The meat-atarians have consistently pointed out that carrots scream upon being chopped. How horrible in both cases.

What is really upsetting this is about Switzerland, is that they have always tended not to take anyone's side, EVER, and now this...now we have no country representing the 'no taking sides' of every debate, because they've clearly taken a side. Who knew they'd take the side of a crustacean!

Lol, bliss.

I wonder how goes the lobster fishing in Switzerland? I've heard they don't catch many there because their lobster pots are like their cheese. ;)

Does anyone remember the movie "That's Life"?
There is a line from the movie ‘That’s Life’, where Jack Lemmon’s character complains about lobster fixed the traditional way by dropping them into boiling water being tough from the shock. Far better, he explains, to start with a pot full of white wine, drop in the lobsters and slowly turn up the heat. That way the lobsters get drunk to begin with, and stay all nice and relaxed.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::cool::chef:

Does anyone remember the movie "That's Life"?
There is a line from the movie ‘That’s Life’, where Jack Lemmon’s character complains about lobster fixed the traditional way by dropping them into boiling water being tough from the shock. Far better, he explains, to start with a pot full of white wine, drop in the lobsters and slowly turn up the heat. That way the lobsters get drunk to begin with, and stay all nice and relaxed.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::cool::chef:
That seems likes such a FAIR way to do it. If it was any of us, wouldn't we prefer it? :chef::yum::ROFLMAO: I'm so disappointed in Switzerland now. They could have consulted us first to get a better end result.

They consulted PETA instead ;)
Yes, didn't they? What about the meat-atarians, don't their views count? Oh DARN, I wanted switzerland to keep being the non-taking-sides people and now I'm disappointed.

They have live lobsters in Switzerland? I would think they would all be frozen before it's time to cook them.

Perhaps they should try a more gentle though medieval method and boil them in oil (butter).

They have live lobsters in Switzerland? I would think they would all be frozen before it's time to cook them.

Perhaps they should try a more gentle though medieval method and boil them in oil (butter).
Actually, according to the article, they have to be flown in live in seawater.

The vegetarians (present company admired), have been screaming about animals with faces being hurt by harvesting them. The meat-atarians have consistently pointed out that carrots scream upon being chopped. How horrible in both cases.

What is really upsetting this is about Switzerland, is that they have always tended not to take anyone's side, EVER, and now this...now we have no country representing the 'no taking sides' of every debate, because they've clearly taken a side. Who knew they'd take the side of a crustacean!

Yeah, whose looking out for the innocent vegetables?!!!

Language Warning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqZmwwUvgVU

CD

Caseydog, ha haha hahahaha

Laws on how you make lobsters in your home. One more way for the police and lawmakers to invite themselves to dinner! Yeah.

"knock knock, yes maam, we hear you are serving lobsters tonight and we came to observe."

How consenting adults cook in the privacy of their kitchens is their own business. Swiss politicians need to be more like ours, and focus on what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms. :glare: :LOL:

CD

Caseydog, I was thinking that exact same thing. Except our police are more invasive than is comfortable.

Caseydog, I was thinking that exact same thing. Except our police are more invasive than is comfortable.

I doubt the police really care what consenting adults do in their kitchens or bedrooms. It is the politicians.

In Switzerland, I doubt the police are going to waste any time trying to catch someone boiling a live lobster in their home kitchens. This law is mostly going to change how restaurants cook lobster.

BTW, I hope everyone on DC knows that the most humane way to boil a live lobster is to plunge it quickly and head first into rapidly boiling water. If you slowly submerge it tail first, or the water isn't hot enough, the lobster is going to feel it.

The knife through the head thing also dispatches the lobster instantly -- well, as long as you do it in one quick thrust.

CD

Back
Top Bottom