In memory of my best friend........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know too the heartache. After having Magee (my Lilac-crowned Amazon parrot) for 15 years, through marriage, divorce, many driving trips to Florida on my shoulder and everything in between. He was my one constant through those years, he caught a cold to phnemonia and died 3 days later in my hands. My heart couldn't hurt more. And still does telling you here. And I lost him in 1992.
I never did get another bird, but have the 'new' love of my life - Parker, the weiner dog for the past 6 years. He fills my heart now. But each 'baby' is different and it takes time. Allow yourself to grieve. There are no rules.

Thanks for sharing. Alot of us do feel your pain.

PS...No, there is nothing more important than love!

sorry to hear about your loss at such a critical time. It always seems that God puts some kind of life into ours to latch on to. Personally, Magee is the first parrot I have heard that gave someone support. We never know where the next sign of love will come. Sure is relief to have support when we feel so down. I bet Parker is a good dog. He knows you better than any person could. Dogs do not care what we look like, smell like, walk like, happy or sad, etc. their spirit is there for only one reason to be near you. If only we would just treat them as if it were their last would be mutual relationship. I apologize for not noticing your post but the one that started with smoke king grabbed my attention and responded. did not want you to feel I didn't care about Magee. 15 years long time. What memories you must have. They are all yours. Thanks for telling us about the love you had.

i am so sorry!! it's hard to lose your 4 legged babies!! god bless!!
RainbowBridgeGailHogan2.jpg

Oh, smoke king, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Don't be ashamed of your tears or your grief. Our animal children are so very dear to us, and they love us so unconditionally. They rely on us to care for them, and you did exactly that for your sweet Bailey. Your pain will gradually ease, I promise. At some point, you'll even be ready for another sweet animal child...at my age (64), I have outlived so many sweet pets. It hurts every time. Just last month, we had to say goodbye to our sweet kitty Puff, who was 15. I still see her everywhere. I'm so glad that the kind people here have been some comfort to you.

:( I just want to put in a bit of my thinking when one loses a dear pet. When we lose a friend we usually swear we will never get another pet. I believe that even though we lost our best friend we should not shut down our hearts for another that you can give a wonderful life. It does not mean you are being unfaithful or do not love the pet that has passed but that in your pets memory you just have a spot open for another creature with no chance for a good life and that you can give a it wonderful life. And I mean no searching for a pet to fill that spot but when it's time that creature will find you. You will know when it happens. I just had a friend that had her dear cat die she was so broken up the next thing she finds is a cat outside her door trying to fight off a large Rattle Snake her boyfriend scooped up the cat they named Leonard and dispatched the rattler so that Leonard would not get bit. He is now under her care and even though she still mourns Simon her cat that just died who had a hard life in the wild until she adopted him but he had a few really incredible years living in luxury and love from her and him to her. But now Leonard gets the same chance to have a happy life as well.

I agree jpmcgrew... It was hard to lose Buster, but was such a blessing to find Binks... or did he find me? I don't know, but I think we were meant for each other. And one thing I was telling smoke king, I notice little mannerisims in Binks that Buster had. It brings such a big smile to my face and a tear!

My oldest Boots... getting really old... can't hear anymore... I fear that within the next few years, I will be facing another loss.

I simply can not imagine my life without dogs.

Just an update-through some searching and more than a few phone calls, we have been able to locate Baileys sister, Bandit, at a wonderful JRT kennel a couple of hundred miles from our home.

Although Bandit isn't pregnant right now, we are planning on getting 2 puppies from her next litter, provided everything goes as expected. And while I still don't feel "ready" at this point, it makes me happy that our new pups will be Baileys kin-I can't help but feel that this will make her happy too.

Again, thanks to everyone for your kind words. You can't begin to realize what a difference you have made.

s.k., is any parent ready for a new baby? LOL! I know when you see those adorable faces you'll be ready. They'll be the best medicine.
Good for you. You brought me a big grin. Thanks for sharing.

Smoke King - I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but, glad to hear that you may be able to get a "kin".

If I ever understood how much they love us, I do not. I was away for a week. "Bear" my big chocolate lab spent several nights flat on the floor facing the door, just staring at it. Since I am home, Neitehr he, Nor "Liam", my black lab will let me out of their sight.

Keepthe memories close and they will be with you. I hope you get the pup and love them jsut as much.

AC

This is coming late as just now seeing this thread.
As with the others in here, I am so sorry that you and your family had to have that happen with your precious Bailey. Loved the words by so many in here with the encouragement they've given you. You can only know that Bailey doesn't hurt anymore, that Bailey was loved beyond belief and that Bailey loved you more in doggie terms than 'you' even know.
We're given these little furry creatures for reasons of different nature. Sometimes they heal, while other times, they are for comfort and nurturing. They look at us with their little faces, we struggle to know what they're thinking, all they want is to be pet and loved.
You did that. You loved, spent the last days with Bailey with fun and laughter and joy and warmth that Bailey could sense and feel.
Hats off to you for caring to do that.
I too believe there is a doggie and a kitty heaven.
Loved Stacy's photo, it's lovely.
This Siberian looks exactly like our Lakota who passed 5 years ago and can not be replaced.
Hope you mend soon.

Attachments

• siberian heaven.gif
    siberian heaven.gif
    72.5 KB · Views: 61
  • jack%20russell%20terrier%20crissy%20G2.jpg
    jack%20russell%20terrier%20crissy%20G2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 160
Not trying to get everyone all weepy and crying again, but I think you all will appreciate this poem as well from the pet that has departed:(:(

BEYOND THE RAINBOW

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played, I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade. I saw a wonderous image then of a place that's trouble-free Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity. I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side Were meadows rich and beautiful--lush and green and wide! And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be! My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do. I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright.
That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright glow pierced the night.Twas the glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold. For although we may not be together in the way we used to be, We are still connected by a cord no human eye can see. So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

C.G. 1995

I just got this in my email:

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old's perspective)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Linda, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Linda told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly..

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

• When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  • Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride.
  • Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
  • Take naps.
  • Stretch before rising.
  • Run, romp, and play daily.
  • Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
  • Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  • On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
  • On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
  • When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
  • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
  • Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
  • Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
  • If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
  • When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by.

Last edited:
I'm sorry... it's so sad to lose a friend...

Maybe your puppy and Lily lily Queen of cats are together playing :)

I just got this in my email:

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old's perspective)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Linda, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Linda told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly..

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

• When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  • Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride.
  • Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
  • Take naps.
  • Stretch before rising.
  • Run, romp, and play daily.
  • Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
  • Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  • On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
  • On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
  • When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
  • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
  • Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
  • Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
  • If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
  • When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by.

Thank you for the time of sharing this story. To me, this is a basis to create a sermon. If ONLY people would try to be aware of the daily things that are happening around them when they have a pet! Breaks my heart when I see how people neglect and do not take some time with their pets. Thankful I have that time. However, there were times when I too was guilty of ignoring the love my dogs were showing. Dogs have truly been a life saver for me in different ways. Thanks again for sharing and this is only my personal opinion.

I wanted again to thank each of you who contributed to this thread. As I checked it each day, It was like a fountain of healing - I was touched by all of your kindness, thoughts, and words of wisdom. I can't possibly express my gratitude to you within these pages. Just know that I will never, ever forget it.

I'm still at the mercy of my emotions, but I know thats OK. Now, whenever it becomes overwhelming, I just pull up this thread,and re-read the kind words that everyone left for me. And while it doesn't hurt any less, it reminds me that there are people out there who understand and care-and that makes coping a little easier.

Again-thanks to you all and god bless you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom