"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I know too the heartache. After having Magee (my Lilac-crowned Amazon parrot) for 15 years, through marriage, divorce, many driving trips to Florida on my shoulder and everything in between. He was my one constant through those years, he caught a cold to phnemonia and died 3 days later in my hands. My heart couldn't hurt more. And still does telling you here. And I lost him in 1992.
I never did get another bird, but have the 'new' love of my life - Parker, the weiner dog for the past 6 years. He fills my heart now. But each 'baby' is different and it takes time. Allow yourself to grieve. There are no rules.

Thanks for sharing. Alot of us do feel your pain.

PS...No, there is nothing more important than love!
sorry to hear about your loss at such a critical time. It always seems that God puts some kind of life into ours to latch on to. Personally, Magee is the first parrot I have heard that gave someone support. We never know where the next sign of love will come. Sure is relief to have support when we feel so down. I bet Parker is a good dog. He knows you better than any person could. Dogs do not care what we look like, smell like, walk like, happy or sad, etc. their spirit is there for only one reason to be near you. If only we would just treat them as if it were their last would be mutual relationship. I apologize for not noticing your post but the one that started with smoke king grabbed my attention and responded. did not want you to feel I didn't care about Magee. 15 years long time. What memories you must have. They are all yours. Thanks for telling us about the love you had.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Thanks for your kind words, In The Kitchen.
Much appreciated.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #23
Master Chef

i am so sorry!! it's hard to lose your 4 legged babies!! god bless!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #24
Head Chef

Oh, smoke king, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Don't be ashamed of your tears or your grief. Our animal children are so very dear to us, and they love us so unconditionally. They rely on us to care for them, and you did exactly that for your sweet Bailey. Your pain will gradually ease, I promise. At some point, you'll even be ready for another sweet animal child...at my age (64), I have outlived so many sweet pets. It hurts every time. Just last month, we had to say goodbye to our sweet kitty Puff, who was 15. I still see her everywhere. I'm so glad that the kind people here have been some comfort to you.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
i am so sorry!! it's hard to lose your 4 legged babies!! god bless!!

WOW! TG where did you get this? It just made me cry all over again. So bitter sweet.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I just want to put in a bit of my thinking when one loses a dear pet. When we lose a friend we usually swear we will never get another pet. I believe that even though we lost our best friend we should not shut down our hearts for another that you can give a wonderful life. It does not mean you are being unfaithful or do not love the pet that has passed but that in your pets memory you just have a spot open for another creature with no chance for a good life and that you can give a it wonderful life. And I mean no searching for a pet to fill that spot but when it's time that creature will find you. You will know when it happens. I just had a friend that had her dear cat die she was so broken up the next thing she finds is a cat outside her door trying to fight off a large Rattle Snake her boyfriend scooped up the cat they named Leonard and dispatched the rattler so that Leonard would not get bit. He is now under her care and even though she still mourns Simon her cat that just died who had a hard life in the wild until she adopted him but he had a few really incredible years living in luxury and love from her and him to her. But now Leonard gets the same chance to have a happy life as well.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #27
Master Chef

I agree jpmcgrew... It was hard to lose Buster, but was such a blessing to find Binks... or did he find me? I don't know, but I think we were meant for each other. And one thing I was telling smoke king, I notice little mannerisims in Binks that Buster had. It brings such a big smile to my face and a tear!

My oldest Boots... getting really old... can't hear anymore... I fear that within the next few years, I will be facing another loss.

I simply can not imagine my life without dogs.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Just an update-through some searching and more than a few phone calls, we have been able to locate Baileys sister, Bandit, at a wonderful JRT kennel a couple of hundred miles from our home.

Although Bandit isn't pregnant right now, we are planning on getting 2 puppies from her next litter, provided everything goes as expected. And while I still don't feel "ready" at this point, it makes me happy that our new pups will be Baileys kin-I can't help but feel that this will make her happy too.

Again, thanks to everyone for your kind words. You can't begin to realize what a difference you have made.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #29
Executive Chef

s.k., is any parent ready for a new baby? LOL! I know when you see those adorable faces you'll be ready. They'll be the best medicine.
Good for you. You brought me a big grin. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #30
Head Chef

woof. :(