"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Sous Chef

In memory of my best friend........

I know that there are more important things in the world. But right before the fourth of July, my best friend, my little Jack Russell terrier, Bailey, took ill. We didn't think too much about it, but when we took her to the vet, we were informed that her Kidneys were severely failing, and we needed to discuss euthanasia.

We cancelled all of our holiday plans, and spent the the entire week with her-playing & swimming with her (when she was able) and loving and comforting her when she was not.

Within a week, her sickness had progressed to the point where we had to let her go. If I live to be a thousand, I will never forget that horrible day, and I relive it every morning, afternoon and night. After 6 weeks, I still cry every day. Everything reminds me of her, and I still find myself looking for her, hearing her tags jingle and so on, even though I know shes gone. For the life of me, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I hate to admit it, but I've had people close to me die and I didn't react this way. She was barely 4 years old and it seems so unfair.

I'm posting this thread as a memorial-to my best friend, my constant companion-a little dog that brought so much joy to my life. who never judged me and who always loved me unconditionally no matter what. My hope is that this post will travel the world and she will be on the mind of everyone who reads it, if only for a brief moment.

Thanks to all of you for allowing me the opportunity to honor my best friend.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm so sorry for your loss.......my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Master Chef

I truly understand the pain and sadness of losing your friend. I'm soooo sorry to hear about it. I think it was a blessing that you were able to spend quality time with her prior to her departure. This makes me remember my dearly departed companion Buster.

My respects to you and your best friend. May she live on in your memories.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Sattie, I'm so sorry; I know what it is to lose a furry friend. My thoughts are with you as you mourn your little Bailey. You will see him again someday.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

May some peace come to you soon. May you soon remember all the good times...I have been in your position with a little black doxie..She was with me no matter what and that day came for us too, It's been a year and I still see her eyes looking at me as the vet did what needed to be done..Believe me it still hurts and the tears still come, but most of the time I just remember that little puppy my son placed in my arms...Then I know I did the right thing that day. Peace and sweet memories to you.
kadesma
Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sorry for your loss, smoke king.
Two of my customers had their pets pass on yesterday, the one under horrible circumstances. I'm sure those who knew Bailey besides you will miss her, too.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

Very touching memorial. So sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post

Within a week, her sickness had progressed to the point where we had to let her go. If I live to be a thousand, I will never forget that horrible day, and I relive it every morning, afternoon and night. After 6 weeks, I still cry every day. Everything reminds me of her, and I still find myself looking for her, hearing her tags jingle and so on, even though I know shes gone. For the life of me, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I hate to admit it, but I've had people close to me die and I didn't react this way. She was barely 4 years old and it seems so unfair.

I'm posting this thread as a memorial-to my best friend, my constant companion-a little dog that brought so much joy to my life. who never judged me and who always loved me unconditionally no matter what.

Thanks to all of you for allowing me the opportunity to honor my best friend.
I know too the heartache. After having Magee (my Lilac-crowned Amazon parrot) for 15 years, through marriage, divorce, many driving trips to Florida on my shoulder and everything in between. He was my one constant through those years, he caught a cold to phnemonia and died 3 days later in my hands. My heart couldn't hurt more. And still does telling you here. And I lost him in 1992.
I never did get another bird, but have the 'new' love of my life - Parker, the weiner dog for the past 6 years. He fills my heart now. But each 'baby' is different and it takes time. Allow yourself to grieve. There are no rules.

Thanks for sharing. Alot of us do feel your pain.

PS...No, there is nothing more important than love!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

I'm so sorry for your loss. I do know how it feels to lose a beloved furbaby.

((hugs))
LadyCook
Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Executive Chef

smoke king, please accept my sympathy. Your post made me cry as to the beautiful memorial to your Bailey. I have lost so many, one indeed to kidney stones. After having them removed several times, the fourth time I told the vet enough! I did not want her to go through another surgery He completely understood after having so many surgeries.

Your post was so expressive and just gave us an idea of the love you had for your Bailey. i really feel they don't leave but stick around. In my heart, I pray that I will see all of them again and they will know me. Maybe they are with Bailey now enjoying one another.

thank you very much for posting about your feelings. As I said, you did good and sure made me appreciate how a little dog can make such a difference in person's life. I hope that in the days to come you will consider getting another gift in your life. Too good to do without.