In Remembrance of Our Dear Friend Buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie, I think the bithday party is a lovely idea. I decided that for tomorrow's dessert I am going to make a small cake, and decorate it in Buck's honour. That way I can share this with MY family.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family this weekend and always.

katie, i've been on vacation, and have been trying all week to get dw's laptop working so i could see how buck is doing. (my system is in pieces on a coffe table in the basement)

i was finally able to log on thursday and look for this thread, but then it crashed again. probably this time from my tears.

the past few days have given me time to try to think of a way to tell you how sorry i am, from the deepest part of my heart. you have been in my thoughts constantly, but there are no words to express these feelings.

you and buck are and always will be a shining example of how great a couple could be. how precious love can be. how much of a gift we've been given by god, and how people like you and buck take that gift and show the rest of us how it's done. with grace, and humor, and respect.

thank you for sharing yourselves and your love for each other with us. because of you, an example has been set forth for us all to see and to follow.

i know buck is in heaven already, so i'll only continue to pray for you and yours, that your sadness wanes, but the memories of the greatness of a man named "buck" will continue on forever. i will miss him, until we can all meet again someday, as one.

but then it crashed again. probably this time from my tears.the past few days have given me time to try to think of a way to tell you how sorry i am, from the deepest part of my heart. you have been in my thoughts constantly, but there are no words to express these feelings.you and buck are and always will be a shining example of how great a couple could be. how precious love can be. how much of a gift we've been given by god, and how people like you and buck take that gift and show the rest of us how it's done. with grace, and humor, and respect.thank you for sharing yourselves and your love for each other with us. because of you, an example has been set forth for us all to see and to follow.i know buck is in heaven already, so i'll only continue to pray for you and yours, that your sadness wanes, but the memories of the greatness of a man named "buck" will continue on forever. i will miss him, until we can all meet again someday, as one.
that was lovely Bucky, how true also...

I was exploring, reading through "Dove's Kitchen Table" and found this quote from Buck:

"Hi Marge, Just want to join in with what Katie said. We love you and look forward to the journey. Be well!
Buck"

katie, i've been on vacation, and have been trying all week to get dw's laptop working so i could see how buck is doing. (my system is in pieces on a coffe table in the basement)

i was finally able to log on thursday and look for this thread, but then it crashed again. probably this time from my tears.

the past few days have given me time to try to think of a way to tell you how sorry i am, from the deepest part of my heart. you have been in my thoughts constantly, but there are no words to express these feelings.

you and buck are and always will be a shining example of how great a couple could be. how precious love can be. how much of a gift we've been given by god, and how people like you and buck take that gift and show the rest of us how it's done. with grace, and humor, and respect.

thank you for sharing yourselves and your love for each other with us. because of you, an example has been set forth for us all to see and to follow.

i know buck is in heaven already, so i'll only continue to pray for you and yours, that your sadness wanes, but the memories of the greatness of a man named "buck" will continue on forever. i will miss him, until we can all meet again someday, as one.

I was also really touched by what Buckytom wrote, and I tried to give him karma, but it wouldn't let me. To my remembrance, I've never given him any before, but it said I had to spread it around...... :ermm:

Well...it's all over. The service was this afternoon at 1:00. Nice crowd. All our children, their spouses/fiancees, and all our grandchildren were here, along with Buck's only sibling, his brother, John. Two of my brothers were here, too. So Buck's farewell was filled with family and friends.

I chose three pieces of music for the service - Amazing Grace, Because You Loved Me (Celine Dion), and Believe (Brooks and Dunn). The first and last ones were Buck's favorites. The middle one was our life together.

Lots of flowers. So beautiful.

Yesterday the mayor stopped by to offer his condolences. He told me that the city had purchased a large crepe myrtle, which would be at the funeral home, that would be planted in the city park. A bronze plaque with Buck's name, etc. will be placed in front of the tree. So sweet.

The two pastors did a wonderful job and Buck would have been touched with what they said about him. He loved these two men and I was glad they conducted the funeral today.

Tomorrow two of our sons are going to cook breakfast for everyone at my brother Kevin's house. That's where everyone is staying. I'll probably get there a little before 9 to eat with everyone.

I won't get Buck's "urn" until Tuesday, but that's okay. There's plenty to do before then.

Earlier this evening, Buck's two sons rented a truck and loaded it with many of his big shop tools. I told them they could have anything they wanted. Good thing, too. A little less for the state to get their paws on.

I'm not looking forward to getting the bills from the hospitals/doctors/ambulance/airlift service. I'm sure it's not going to be pretty.

Today was a great drain on me and I'm more weary than tired. I'm glad Nicole and Paul are staying until Friday.

Well, it's "tomorrow" for me, so I'd best get some sleep so I can feel rested before our custom breakfast.

It sounds like Buck's send off would have been one he approved of. I know how much work it was to make all of the preparations and I'm so glad it went off so well. Amazing Grace is my favorite song, too. I think it's the first song I learned to sing as a child.

I hope getting Buck back home on Tuesday will bring you a special peace. Have you decided where to put him?

I'm so glad to hear some of the kids can stay until Friday because there are bound to be lots of things still left to do. But take your time and above all, take care of yourself because most stuff will wait until tomorrow.

Love and Peace,
T

Dear Katie: What a trooper you are! Amazing Grace.... my favorite, too... and I think it describes you in the face of all this.

Just one small piece of "advice" for these coming days and weeks.... whatever anyone wants of or from you, make them wait until you have had a chance to consider it, and/or discuss it with your lawyer or whomever else you deem appropriate. No matter what anyone says, nothing is so urgent that you can't take your time to consider the consequences.

A crepe myrtle in the park in Buck's memory..... a hint into what kind of man he was.....

Love you lots,
jj

I wasn't going to read this thread and post as I really don't know those involved too well. To lose a person so integral to your existance for so many years must be shattering. My wife and I are in a similar situation being each others soul mates. We are rarely ever apart except for working.

I am so sorry for your loss. I don't really know what to say except that atleast, this way, you got to see him over his last days knowing they were his last days, rather than have him suddenly ripped away. I had the same thing with my father holding his hand while he died.

Cling to those happy memories you have built up over the years and in the months and years ahead, whenever your mind begins to dwell on Buck, remember these happy times and celebrate his life and your time together. Reading your posts I know he was a great guy without ever having to meet him, just by the amount you care.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Katie - you know my love, my heart and my prayers are with you. My step-mom passing a couple of months ago could never compare to your life with Buck ... but I do have some idea of how things change when you have loved and cared for someone for a long time.

PM me any time you need to talk.

ChefJune said:
Just one small piece of "advice" for these coming days and weeks.... whatever anyone wants of or from you, make them wait until you have had a chance to consider it, and/or discuss it with your lawyer or whomever else you deem appropriate. No matter what anyone says, nothing is so urgent that you can't take your time to consider the consequences.

Miss Katie, Let me add...
I can't count the times I have gone to one of my friends widows, and said something like this..."Katie, you are going to get more advice, from more people than you ever thought possible... about what to do, and how to do this or that etc. etc. etc. Here is my advice to you...Don't listen to any of them!! Period!!!! Take your time, to weigh every decision...There is no rush...no hurry. Do what Katie wants to do only after Katie has had the time to think things through with a clear mind. Not before! Ok? Ok???
.....Good girl! Bless you!!

Last edited:
Hi Katie

I have been offline for a few weeks due to work commitments and couldn't believe what I was reading - I am gobsmacked! Buck was a wonderful man (i can tell not only from the way you spoke about him but how his family rallied together - a well respected husband, father and community member). He was always giving me that extra bit of advice when I needed it.

Please take the prayers and condolences of my DH and myself and listen to what Uncle Bob said, take your own time. We have a very close family friend who is in a very similar situation and take everything day-by-day but know that we are all here for you - holding your hand, giving you big hugs and walking right beside you.

God bless you.

Katie, thank you so much for letting us know everything went calmly, and you are handling things in your own way.
The music is special and the tree is a wonderful way to keep Buck's memory alive.
I know you appreciate having family around to sort things out and mourn and celebrate with you, but please don't forget to take time for yourself, to refresh and reflect and find peace and make the correct decisions you need for your own well being.​

We miss you and we miss Buck, and are in all our thoughts always. If you need any of us, for anything, just ask.​

Relax at your morning family breakfast and let them wait on you.​

Uncle Bob is right on! Most of us are well-intentioned, yet we, myself included, give out ill-informed or even stupid advice with every intention of being helpful.

Don't listen, just thank them and tell them you'll consider it. Trust yourself.

Dear Katie, I read your very first post on June 12, but have not been on here very much lately. I am finding this so very difficult to comprehend. It all happened so quickly. I am so deeply sorry. I can't stop crying. All my love to you and your family. I am sorry but I cannot find any words to heal your pain. You have a lot of love here at DC. Come back when you can.

Oh Katie, thank you so much for remembering us and letting us know how things are going with you. You are never far from my thoughts right now,and I know I speak for other members of the DC family as well. We all wished fervently that we could have been there with you, not just yesterday to honor Buck, but all along - and also today. Obviously, Buck's light shone very brightly wherever he was, and I am so pleased to see that his wonderful life is receiving recognition in your home town. We will all be with you on the difficult road you see in front of you. Love from Karen

Katie, you picked the most wonderful songs! And it sounds like it was beautiful! Now, it's time for you to rest a while so that you can get your energy back. Love and hugs to you!!

Back
Top Bottom