In Remembrance of Our Dear Friend Buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie - like many others here have said, I think of you often. When my step-dad died in November, my mom sought out a griefshare class near her (it was about an hour away, but she went). It is a support group for those newly widowed. We (the kids) practically forced her to go. Here is their website if you want more info. Just plug in your zip to see if anything is close by, and its free.
GriefShare: Grief Recovery Support Groups

Also, if you would like to talk to someone who is a few months out from where you are (my step-dad died Nov 2007), pm me and I'll give you my mom's edmail address - they were married 30 years, so she knows how it feels. She has had a difficult time, they were very close like you and Buck.

I wish you strength for the days ahead, just take it one day at a time.

((HUGS))
Jennifer

my thoughts have not left you for long these past days, katie.

this next line has been written and erased so many times that i need a new keyboard.

so i'll just say that you are loved, by me and obviously so many here.

Thanks, bucky. I needed to see your post. I was doing pretty well until darkness closed in on me on the porch. I so enjoyed listening to the night sounds with Buck when we sat out on the porch in the evening. Now it seems so solitary. Even the outside kittens seem different.

This is my first "real" night by myself and I'm not handling it very well. I want my Buck back.

Katie - I can tell you I had a good cry tonight....and I think I'm gonna have another one. I'm going to sit on my front porch right now...I just feel like being there.

Awww (((((Katie)))))) I'm so sorry. Still don't know what to say.
Can't imagine being without my other half.... literally. My best friend.
Never feel like you need to stop crying. You have plenty of folks here willing and ready to cry along.
I know I am....

You're never far from my mind these days, Katie. I can't begin to imagine how alone you must feel without Buck beside you. I am so sorry. It is just so wrong and I will never understand it. Thank you for sharing with us.

Katie, I've been thinking about you so much, wondering how you are faring without your "other half". This is a thread I hope you will let us keep alive for a while.

I don't know how it is there with your neighbors and friends and associates but when my daughter died, the hardest thing was that no one spoke of her again. After the brief, initial mourning period, people were uncomfortable when I spoke of her and they never brought her up. It was so hard for me because she was the only thing on my mind for so long - I missed her so much.

I know that other people just didn't know what to say and were afraid to say the wrong thing or "make me cry again". They didn't realize that the tears were going to come no matter what.

So if you feel like talking about Buck or sharing stories or just speaking about how awful it is that he isn't on the porch with you, this is a safe place with people who cared for him, too, and who won't get tired of hearing it or tell you that you should try to start moving on. We're missing him with you.

Love,
Terry

Katie, I'm so sorry for your sadness. Please don't stop sitting on the porch, that was a part of you and Buck, and he is still a part of you. Everything you and Buck did will bring back a memory, be it happy or sad; you need it. My father has been gone for 11 years yet there are things that we used to do that still bring back his memory and I find my self crying and smiling at the same time. It's alright Katie, you will get through this with the help and love of your friends and family at DC. Just don't be surprised when you feel that familar "brush" from Buck, it's just him letting you know he's with you, too. Love, Dawn :>)

My aunt used to have a big porch on your front side of the house and it was surrounded by big shady oak trees and there was always a breeze blowing by on a hot summer day (air conditioning would not have known what to do in her house) and we snapped beans, shucked popcorn, counted cows, and solved the world's problems out there) and there was always a dog or two and definitely cats esp. Sylvester who was his own personality.....dogs always kneeled before his majesty..........best therapy outside of my grandmother's beautiful garden---she lived across the road a piece.........that sounds like your comfort zone, too Katie............if you haven't already, Buck will start to visit you in your dreams.......that time will come and he'll always be with you....I visit with my grandmother often as we were very close......nothing special dreams, but I dream of her more than anyone else........Buck will come and I know visit those of us her are trying to guess the latest "Guess what this is a picture of" I know that'd guess where that elusive mastodon sculpture and its creator were located by now as he had so many computer resources.....that's what I will always associate him with ............

Death is nothing at all;
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other that we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name;
speak to me in the same easy way you always used.
Put no deference into your tone; wear no forced air
of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed at the little
jokes we enjoyed together.

Play...smile...think of me.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it always was;
there is absolutely unbroken continuity.

I am waiting for you, for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner
............and all is well...all is well

Been a while since I posted here because every time I try I choke up and can't do it.

Katie, just know I'm holding your hand and crying with you on that porch. I can only imagine how much you miss him.

Death is nothing at all;
I am I, and you are you.

of solemnity or sorrow.

somewhere very near,
just around the corner

That is such a wonderful example of what I believe. K.E., you have perfectly expressed life/death for Katie. You deserve a great big hug.

And Katie, you already know how I feel about you and Buck, and how he is probably already making a comfortable place for you to be by his side when the time comes. As I said before, it will be a grand reunion indeed when we come together again with all of those we know and love who have passed before us.

Goodweed of the North

Death is nothing at all;
I am I, and you are you.

of solemnity or sorrow.

somewhere very near,
just around the corner

That was really very, very nice ... thank you for sharing. I think we all could apply that to someone we've loved and lost, and surely were comforting words for Katie.

Katie, I don't know you and didn't know Buck, but you both have managed to tug at my heart strings. Sending you strength and peace and a lifetime of memories.

Back
Top Bottom