"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #491
TG, if I'm not mistaken, when someone dies intestate the State is normally entitled to a chunk of their money. Therefore freeze any accounts til they determine what they are going to get $ wise. Since he has a wife the amount will obviously be less, but they still want their cut.

Katie, prayers going up for that to be swiftly dealt with.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #492
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I will be removing all threads about wills and details and stuff like that. Please feel free to repost in this thread.

Let's keep this thread what it's intended for.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #493
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post

The "gifts" of food, etc. began this morning at about 8:30 and hasn't stopped all day. One woman brought a container of homemade spaghetti sauce, 2 boxes of angel hair pasta, 2 large bags of salad greens, a big jar of applesauce, a carton of vanilla ice cream, and 2 homemade pecan pies.

In the middle of the afternoon, someone brought 2 huge barbecued pork butts and a half gallon of barbecue sauce.
I'm sure that all that food won't go to waste at Sunday's birthday party. That sure is a lot! Good to keep busy and maybe you'll even get a chance to *cook.* That always helps me slip into my own thoughts and escape with myself.
JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #494
Traveling Welcome Wagon
The birthday party is a good idea! That will be a wonderful way to share memories.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #495
Master Chef
I did what you suggested Kitchenelf....sorry to have gotten distracted.......not thinking right these days......too sad I guess.....

Katie, you have wonderful friends and the birthday party sounds great.........Buck will be there in spirit I know.....
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #496
Master Chef
You know Texas A&M has a wonderful tradition----every year on April 21 they have what is call to Revellie(hope I'm spelling that correctly) and any student or prof who has died during the year is remembered on that day. The Aggies gather wherever they are and it's global someone will answer to their name when it's called out..........nonone's name is left not answered to and my nephew was able to say "Here" when his grandpa's name from the class of 46 was called out.......it's very emotional and everyone celebrates their lives afterwards.....so it sounds like you're doing the same, Katie,
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #497
Executive Chef
I just now found out about all this. So sorry to hear what happened!

Katie E., my prayers and thoughts are with you. This is all a shock to me. I read most of the thread, and started crying.
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #498
Sous Chef
I am so sorry to hear about your and your family's loss!
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #499
Head Chef
Thanks so much for checking in with us, Katie. We all miss you. As you go through these necessary steps, we are with you on each step, you know. So hard, so hard. I'm glad your kids are there and hope you are feeling some comfort from the many friends you surely have, both here and at home.
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #500
Executive Chef
I'll be praying to day for the day to be blessed with happiness, celebration, memories and all things good.

Wherever we are, any and all of us, at the hour of the service, we ought to say a prayer, plant a flower, sing a song, hug someone, bake a loaf of bread, something just for the occasion and in Bucks honor. I'll be in the air on my way to Kentucky and will arrive only 250 miles from the service city. I feel vacant that I'll be in the right state but for another event. It's an important one that I mustn't miss.

Happy thoughts to all in here today. I'm waiting for Katie's gift to arrive so I can send it in her direction via another....

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote