"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
All my best wishes to Buck for a speedy recovery and to you for strength as you go through all this.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #52
Senior Cook

My thoughts and prayers are with You, Buck and also for those treating him. That they can find what is wrong quickly and treat it effectively. God Bless,

-Josh

Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #53
Head Chef

best wishes ...
Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #54
Certified Cake Maniac

Katie, I love reading your posts of you and Buck sitting outside watching the kittens, etc. The love and closeness between you shows so very much.

I am sorry I am posting late on this but I just found this thread. My prayers are with you both and with the doctors as well. But be firm with the hospital staff. I have been going through this same thing with DD and her fiance. They can't make you leave his side. And even if they want you to take breaks, you can go into the lounge and rest or make phone calls, etc. But you need to be with him....for both your sakes.

I wish I was closer and could do something other than pray but you certainly have that now and as long as is needed.

But remember you are not alone - you have us.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm back. Arrived home about 5 p.m. I'm whupped.

Where do I start?

So far he's had 4 units of blood and 1 unit of platelets. He's on a potassium chloride drip and something else to aid coagulation. Off oxygen now.

Fortunately he's peeing like a racehorse now, which shows better kidney function. Urine is still very dark and he's still passing blood in his stool.

Had an ultrasound done of his liver, in the room, this morning. Couldn't risk taking him anywhere because his BP was still low...60/32. They wanted to do a CAT scan of his kidneys, but couldn't because, again, the BP was not high enough or stable enough.

The internist came in just before I left and said the ultrasound showed a small "mass" in the liver. The doc said that is low on the list of worries until the cause of the bleeding is found. He felt it was either in Buck's throat or his stomach, or both. Wants do do a scope test to see, but not until the BP is better.

So here we sit. At the mercy of the BP gods. Doc says tomorrow may be the day for one or both tests. I hope so.

Buck is in good spirits and said he doesn't feel overly worried about what's been learned so far. He said he feels it will all be taken care of and everything will turn out well.

Got thrown out of Buck's room, per "policy," even with Buck begging them not to. It's a crappy policy. However, I did persuade the late afternoon nurse to let me stay a bit over an hour. When I left at 4:30, his BP was 105/47. Small improvement, but we'll take it.

I just finished telling the children. They seemed calm, which is good. They have loving spouses to sound off to, so that gives me some consolation.

Now, all I have to do is to tell Buck's 94-year-old mother when I talk to here tomorrow night. We always talk to her on Friday evenings and, with any luck, I'll have some additional information if the tests get done.

I'm trashed, I'm so tired, but maybe I'll crash tonight.

Buck wanted me to let you know how much he appreciates your love, support and prayers. It means a lot to him. To both of us.

I'm going to try to print off a bunch of your posts and bring them with me to the hospital tomorrow.

Thanks again.

P.S. I'm out on the front porch with my outside kitties.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #56
Head Chef

Oh Katie, I've been checking the computer all day to see if we had heard from you. You and Buck have not been far from my thoughts during the day. Thanks for the update - I know there are many,many others longing to hear how Buck is doing - and how YOU are doing, too. The world sometimes just turns upside down in 24 hours. We should all realize that, because no one is immune - not even the really GOOD ones like you. I hope you get some real rest tonight and when you wake up in the morning, feel the arms of your DC friends around you.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #57
Sous Chef

My goodness Katie, tell Buck the guys from down under are thinking of him and wish him a speedy recovery -----
Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Katie...I wish I could sit you down to a big platter of fried chicken, rice & gravy, peas, cornbread and a big glass off tea!! Some chocolate ice cream for dessert too!!
Me and Buck could fight over the pully bone!!

Get some rest...!! Ya gotta keep your strength up!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #59
Executive Chef

We are all with you both. Sending lots of warm wishes and healing hugs!
I'll be thinking of the both of you. I hope he recovers quickly!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #60
Certified Pretend Chef

Katie, we appreciate the update on Buck's condition. Sounds like the docs are doing the right things and Buck's feeling better so that's a good sign.

We will continue to keep you guys in our thoughts. Don't forget to take cae of yourself through all this.