"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 AM   #591
Executive Chef
We're here Katie.
We're thinking of you, even if we haven't written so.
I hope you've taken these couple of days to catch your breath and work your head clear alittle.
If you need or want company, just sign in.
Any of us will listen.
Good night, dear lady.

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #592
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thank you for the kind words, quicksilver. The last several days have been difficult because all the children have gone home and I've been here alone. The weekend was especially difficult. It was the first one since Buck got sick that I've had to be by myself.

I've kept myself occupied by doing "busy" work and making necessary phone calls. I've been fighting with OPM (Office of Personnel Management) trying to get information on his life insurance. Surprisingly, my exchanges with the Social Security Administration have been fairly productive.

The medical bills started coming in the mail yesterday. Whoa! Just the ones from the doctors so far. I can't imagine what the ones from the plane company that transported him to Nashville and St. Thomas Hospital are going to be.

Haven't been sleeping much and, as some have suggested, I want to try taking some melatonin, but I can't find it in my little town. I'll look on the 9th when I go to the big city to do my shopping.

I've lost my interest in cooking. Just seems no point in it since Buck's not here. He loved the meals I cooked for him and it was always a pleasure to prepare a nice meal for him. I do eat three meals a day, but just something to fill the hole. No fun eating either.

The city planted Buck's white crepe myrtle yesterday and I drove by the city park to see it. They planted it near the little chapel and it looks nice. They'll place a bronze plaque by it soon.

Guess I've rambled on, so I'd better get a move on and get downstairs and feed my inside and outside furbabies.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #593
Sous Chef
Words would seem so trite to try to respond to your grief Katie.
I hope with all my heart that a time will come when you will feel able to cook a special meal just as you did for Buck and take it out on the back porch to eat it, knowing that he is so very close to you.
I salute your courage and bravery.
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #594
Executive Chef
When my dad died, my mom felt the same way about cooking, even though she's an awful cook. She used to cook and shop daily to keep my dad from eating stuff that wasn't good for him and because he really appreciated it. Plus there was the pleasure of sharing a meal together. Now, she just eats because you need it to stay alive. Mostly raw fruits, salads, cheeses that sort of thing. (She's a vegetarian.)

I don't mean it to sound like she is still completely miserable almost 4 years later. She's not. But as far as cooking, she still feels that it's just not worth it to cook without Dad to cook with and for.

I would imagine the cooking thing is even harder for you since it seemed to me that cooking together and for each other was almost part of your romance with each other. Ya'll made each meal, each special occasion, each bake day seem like such a special way to express your love for life and each other. I know I'll miss those posts about your suppers.

Love you, Katie.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #595
Master Chef
Katie, I pray the Lord surround you with His love and peace and give you comfort. hugs, Diane
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #596
Executive Chef
Thinking of you Katie.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #597
Master Chef
Katie.... not sure what to say that has not already been said, but I share the same sentiments as others and know that we think about you and lift you up in prayer.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #598
Master Chef
Just letting you know I am still thinking of you.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 AM   #599
Sous Chef
(((Katie))) Keeping you close in my thoughts-Love and energy, Vicki
VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #600
Master Chef
Your still on my mind and in my heart too, Katie!!

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote