"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #651
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Katie, just thinking about you today, and hoping it's an easy one for you.

As always, Katie...........................

Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #652
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thank you, quicksilver. You must be psychic because I've had a very, very difficult week. Not sure why, but I'm spent.

I'm beginning to feel the effects of not being able to sit on the front porch as long as usual. I'm now driven inside about 6 p.m. either because it's too chilly to be outside or because it's getting dark. Of course, when Daylight Saving Time ends soon, it will be dark even earlier.

I sooo miss talking to someone. Buck and I used to talk for hours every day. I work at the shop 5 days a week and the phone never rings there. Well, it doesn't ring at home either.

Some days I feel like a dolt because I have no interaction/conversation with a human.

Again, thanks for your kind and generous thoughts. They mean a lot.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 AM   #653
Sous Chef

Katie, is there any way you could move closer to one of your kids?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #654
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks, Pytn. I've considered that. Our daughter lives in Los Angeles, which is not my cup of tea. Oldest son lives in suburban Washington, DC and is making plans to move to Tennessee/West Virginia. The other three live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. However two of the three are making plans to move. One to northern California, the other perhaps to Florida. They're not sure yet. Our society is much more mobile than when I was growing up. After a lot of thought and review of finances, moving would be inadvisable...at least for the near future.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #655
Master Chef

ok, then, how about a community center or, look up groups in your area for things that you have an interest in. Check your local church. Do you like to knit, play bridge, what do you like to do Katie? I don't want you to be lonely. There are other ladies out there, just like you, that are looking for someone to spend some time with or just be able to call and talk. God Bless Katie, I wish you happiness again!!
Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #656
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Thank you, quicksilver. You must be psychic because I've had a very, very difficult week. Not sure why, but I'm spent.

I'm beginning to feel the effects of not being able to sit on the front porch as long as usual. I'm now driven inside about 6 p.m. either because it's too chilly to be outside or because it's getting dark. Of course, when Daylight Saving Time ends soon, it will be dark even earlier.

I sooo miss talking to someone. Buck and I used to talk for hours every day. I work at the shop 5 days a week and the phone never rings there. Well, it doesn't ring at home either.

Some days I feel like a dolt because I have no interaction/conversation with a human.

Again, thanks for your kind and generous thoughts. They mean a lot.

i certainly can relate katie, i am always surprised to find a week gone by with no contact with other people. i guess i have gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me so much anymore. my son lives five min. away and i see him only a couple times a months . my daughter is one hour away and i see her every two months or so. so even if you moved nearer kids, they have their own lives and you will see them less than you think.

i have a lot of hobbies to keep me busy. if i get lonely i just go with it and it passes soon enough. i have a friend my age, we talk about four times a week. you will just need more time to adjust to being single. it takes a while. in mean time, you can talk to us at d.c.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #657
Executive Chef

Katie, I'd be more than happy to chat with you anytime you want. Just let me know, okay?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #658
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
ok, then, how about a community center or, look up groups in your area for things that you have an interest in. Check your local church. Do you like to knit, play bridge, what do you like to do Katie? I don't want you to be lonely. There are other ladies out there, just like you, that are looking for someone to spend some time with or just be able to call and talk. God Bless Katie, I wish you happiness again!!
I agree. Katie, I think you need to get yourself out there somehow. I know it's easier said then done. I do think that reaching out will give you something to grab onto.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #659
Executive Chef

Katie, hoping Halloween brings you lots of little ones filled with excitement, giggles and greedy little hands! I hope you have lots of your own smiles and giggles tomorrow night too!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #660
DC Grandma

sending you my love and understanding Katie.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote