Insomniac's Thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over the counter sleep aids, and Melatonin, are useless IMO. I have not tried a prescription sleep aid.

CD
Melatonin is definitely not useless. I tried it, on the advice of a neurologist, in high doses to treat chronic headaches. It didn't help the headaches but it definitely put me to sleep. By high doses, I mean 18-27 mg.

Addie....you should start eating a little more. You're down to 15 pounds! :shock::ermm::LOL:

Thank you. I never was good at math. Never will be. I started out at 180. Am now down to 110. I know that math is supposed to be simple. But I can't figure out if I am supposed to add or subtract. I do know it is not multiplication.

I will admit, I let everyone else do my math for me. I stopped making any effort in H.S. Was only to happy to take a failing mark every year. I just made up for it in other subjects. At that time in my school, you had to have so many points to graduate. I did it by earning extra points in other subjects. Like taking Latin instead of one of (what the school considered) an easy language.

I think Pirate inherited my dyslexia, only in reading and spelling. Yet he can solve a complicated problem in his head long before you have it even written down. Oh how I envy him.

Melatonin is definitely not useless. I tried it, on the advice of a neurologist, in high doses to treat chronic headaches. It didn't help the headaches but it definitely put me to sleep. By high doses, I mean 18-27 mg.

My dreams when on melatonin... it super charges mine. :ermm:

Last edited:
The main reason I started it was to find out who the other imsomniacs are. ;)...
Well, CD, you can see that DC is just chock-full of Night People. Before he retired, Himself was working 4-midnight. We kinda got used to being on Hawaii time. Besides, someone has to wake the birds up. Then WE go to sleep.

I'm going through a good spot of sleep currently. Intermittently I've had problems with falling asleep - the "can't shut the brain up" problem. I've found if what I do right before going to sleep is pretty benign and non-electronic, sleep comes easier. A comfortable shower and a glass of wine doesn't hurt, either. ;)

As far as waking during the night? I used to fight it. Would toss and turn trying to fall back. Then somewhere I heard/read something about "second sleep". Probably on NPR. Anyway, now if I wake during my sleep cycle I'll get up and have a little something like a glass of milk and a couple graham crackers, read a little from a magazine, and head back to bed. Usually fall asleep within minutes.

Now, about getting out of bed when I have to get up.....

Hey, hey, you can't have an insomniac's party without me! While it is only just after midnight here, I am usually hanging around until 2, 3 4 and even sometimes 5 am. I have chronic pain mostly to thank for it.

I have been known to make muffins at 3 am to try and tire myself out!

I don't have chronic insomnia. Actually, it's mostly just habitual. Let's see, last night I was up till 5?? or was it 5:30?? or was it the night before??
Last few weeks have been like this, from anywhere around 2am to 5am. Maybe one night was before midnight. Idk! It probably actually is from too much net surfing. I need to get back into exercising. GET OUTSIDE!!! (it's so hard to do when you sleep till noon tho!) Need to get better schedule. idk! yeah, just need to prioritize the 'net time is all. Force breaks. Set times. It's getting there...wait! lol ok, well it's before midnight now, so maybe I'll sleep by then.

oh yeah! last night I was cooking until like 2am, so you know, I had to decompress. (for three hours??!! lol)

Hey, hey, you can't have an insomniac's party without me! While it is only just after midnight here, I am usually hanging around until 2, 3 4 and even sometimes 5 am. I have chronic pain mostly to thank for it.

I have been known to make muffins at 3 am to try and tire myself out!

You need to make brownies... if ya' know what I mean. :cool:

CD

I don't have chronic insomnia. Actually, it's mostly just habitual. Let's see, last night I was up till 5?? or was it 5:30?? or was it the night before??
Last few weeks have been like this, from anywhere around 2am to 5am. Maybe one night was before midnight. Idk! It probably actually is from too much net surfing. I need to get back into exercising. GET OUTSIDE!!! (it's so hard to do when you sleep till noon tho!) Need to get better schedule. idk! yeah, just need to prioritize the 'net time is all. Force breaks. Set times. It's getting there...wait! lol ok, well it's before midnight now, so maybe I'll sleep by then.

oh yeah! last night I was cooking until like 2am, so you know, I had to decompress. (for three hours??!! lol)

I do better in spring/summer/fall months. I can get out and work in my yard and garden. It is warm enough right now for that, but it is too early to plant, without running the risk of a spring freeze that kills my new plants. All of my perennials are still dormant, so there is nothing to do on those.

At least I've been able to walk psycho-poodle a lot this month. It gets me out in the sun and fresh air, and provides some exercise.

I'm about to go into one of my go, go, go modes with my business. In some ways that helps, because I work my butt off, and in other ways it doesn't, because I am flying somewhere almost every day, and sleeping in a hotel almost every night.

CD

Last edited:
Sleep aids...Ambien caused me have amnesia, stopped that. Melatonin I use since I work nightshift, for my sleep disorders I have a CPAP and Trazodone.

I do better in spring/summer/fall months. I can get out and work in my yard and garden. It is warm enough right now for that, but it is too early to plant, without running the risk of a spring freeze that kills my new plants. All of my perennials are still dormant, so there is nothing to do on those.

At least I've been able to walk psycho-poodle a lot this month. It gets me out in the sun and fresh air, and provides some exercise.

I'm about to go into one of my go, go, go modes with my business. In some ways that helps, because I work my butt off, and in other ways it doesn't, because I am flying somewhere almost every day, and sleeping in a hotel almost every night.

CD

yes, on that note...i mean, I got up today at a reasonable hour, so I'd better get moving and get outside!! :D
Best wishes to you!

M (haha well, I DO sign this to a lot of people, for various reasons, but it also fits with my username here! ahh! cool eh? :LOL:)

Sleep aids...Ambien caused me have amnesia, stopped that. Melatonin I use since I work nightshift, for my sleep disorders I have a CPAP and Trazodone.

oh, anybody try magnesium glycinate?? This has like a natural muscle relaxer and helps to fall asleep...although it didn't work so great last night, but usually it does and helps one stay asleep too.
just a thought! not a drug either!

S.L.O.B. , are you retired, or still of a working age?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried sleeping aids? Anything from Ambien to melatonin.

I've found I don't really feel rested after a chemically aided sleep. Yes, I slept, but it just doesn't feel right.

I am retired, but this went on even when I was consulting at Amoretti.

I have tried sleeping aids, but I have no trouble getting to sleep. Hell, I stop moving and I'm sleeping. I just can't stay asleep for 7 to 8 hours like normal people. I'm just grateful for a DVR so I don't have to watch infommercials at 3am!

Last edited:
oh, anybody try magnesium glycinate?? This has like a natural muscle relaxer and helps to fall asleep...although it didn't work so great last night, but usually it does and helps one stay asleep too.
A substance that has a therapeutic biological effect on biological processes is a drug. Some are not tested or regulated.

Last edited:
...I just can't stay asleep for 7 to 8 hours like normal people...
SLoB, did you see the article link I posted earlier? It's to an article called Nightly 8-Hour Sleep Isn't a Rule, It's a Myth.

I'll have episodes of not sleeping the entire night through or being able to fall back asleep after I return from a trip to "The Library" during the night. Then somewhere I saw or heard something from NPR that talked about the "normal" 7-8 hour night of sleep as being somewhat contrary to the way our bodies are hard-wired. Centuries ago, before regular lighting such as early gas lamps but more likely when electricity became wide-spread, humans went to sleep shortly after dark, slept a few hours or so, awoke and did "stuff", then returned to sleep after an hour or two of wakeful activity. I'm just sayin' that you're probably more normal in your sleep pattern than normal people are! :LOL:

Thank god the days of taking beneficial big does of niacin are over. There's a supplement that tweaked my brain like I didn't want it to. Besides the red face flushes, I got uncomfortable "brain surges", for a moment. I didn't like it.

Melatonin? I got unusual dreams taking that supplement. It's a common side effect. I stopped taking it.

Last edited:

Trust me, I've tried everything. Most insomniacs have, especially if they still work.

Magnesium is a drug, it's prescribed for people who have electrolyte deficiencies and too much can be bad for your heart.

I get really vivid and crazy dreams if I eat dark chocolate before I go to sleep.

I get vivid and weird dreams all the time, no matter what I eat or drink. As a kid, they were often nightmares, but now, they are just weird. I often awake after one of my dreams, and wonder just how in the world did my brain come up with that one.

CD

SLoB, did you see the article link I posted earlier? It's to an article called Nightly 8-Hour Sleep Isn't a Rule, It's a Myth.

I'll have episodes of not sleeping the entire night through or being able to fall back asleep after I return from a trip to "The Library" during the night. Then somewhere I saw or heard something from NPR that talked about the "normal" 7-8 hour night of sleep as being somewhat contrary to the way our bodies are hard-wired. Centuries ago, before regular lighting such as early gas lamps but more likely when electricity became wide-spread, humans went to sleep shortly after dark, slept a few hours or so, awoke and did "stuff", then returned to sleep after an hour or two of wakeful activity. I'm just sayin' that you're probably more normal in your sleep pattern than normal people are! :LOL:

No matter what shift I worked, I never had trouble falling asleep. Even when the kids went to school. Get the kids out the door, hit the bed and wake up when they came home. Most of the time I got less than eight hours. But I survived.

Back
Top Bottom