Insomniac's Thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As soon as I retire, I won't care about the quality/quantity of my sleep, I'll sleep when I want. Until then, I do need help in getting the sleep I need so I can function at work.
I don't get sleepy in the day, I only get sleepless at night. Already retired, sort of.

I agree with getting rid of things that cause you anxiety, it has to help with the constant movie in your head when it's time to sleep.
Wow, do you ever have me figured exactly! It's that damned movie! The one that runs on the inside of my closed eyelids.

It's my retirement business that has me stressed. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but was the worst idea in my life. Fortunately the business is structured that I can get rid of it gradually, in a modular manner, can't get rid of it all at once due to tax considerations.

When I get rid of it I swear I won't ever do a single useful thing for the rest of my life! :) Not unless it's fun or because I have to.

I'll admit the e-reader contradicts the no-TV no-PC suggestion.

My experience is that prescriptions eventually become the new normal and are ultimately self defeating. Like Ambien, read the physician's data sheet. It says do not prescribe for more than 4-6 weeks. Like anybody pays attention to that.

A healthcare professional I know well tells me once a person reaches 60+ they no longer experience deep sleep, and it is common if not the norm for such people to have sleeping problems the rest of their life. She also says older people generally don't need as much sleep.

Hey, she's got her doctorate, I can't tell anybody if she is right. However I think if I can solve my anxiety problems (situational) by simply removing the anxiety-causing elements from my life, it can't help but make me sleep at least a little bit better.

My family can get quite concerned regarding my sleep habits. I don't work, some days walking are very difficult for me, so I do nothing to aggravate it, I don't make spur of the moments to go someplace, so if I want to take a nap I do. If that means I will be up half the night, so be it. It is not like I have any engagements at three in the morning.

Having said that, come March, I have several early morning medical appointments. That means no naps and I am asleep by 11 p.m. or midnight. I get all the sleep I need and am able to get up about an hour before I head out the door. Then it will be back to my regular routine of having no routine. I never worry about it. Hopefully, any new medical appointments after March will be in September sometime. In the meantime, I sleep as long or short, whenever I want to.

It's just that I don't want to watch the damned, anxiety movie. I can read fully awake, if I'm asleep I'm fine, but the problem is when I'm not asleep but too groggy to read.

Sleep should be like a vacation from your problems.

I don't get sleepy in the day, I only get sleepless at night. Already retired, sort of.

Wow, do you ever have me figured exactly! It's that damned movie! The one that runs on the inside of my closed eyelids.

It's my retirement business that has me stressed. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but was the worst idea in my life. Fortunately the business is structured that I can get rid of it gradually, in a modular manner, can't get rid of it all at once due to tax considerations.

When I get rid of it I swear I won't ever do a single useful thing for the rest of my life! :) Not unless it's fun or because I have to.

Heh, if I had half the smarts and energy I have in my anxiety movie, I'd have nothing to do in my waking hours.

Now, back to the real purpose of an Insomniac's Thread. General chit chat about what's going on., not trying to FIX our insomnia...

Here...nothing much, everyone is sleeping and my charting is done. I'm wasting time.

I'm not heavy into video games, but I play an intense one an hour before bed and it's like having drank 3 cups of caffeinated coffee. I drink only non-caffeinated drinks. It's as if playing video games has some kind of caffeine like connection to my brain.

I now try and refrain from playing video games before going to bed :LOL:

Last edited:
When I am dog tired but need to stay sharp at work, I play card games and backgammon on my phone.

Spades and gin rummy help keep my brain moving when I start dozing off because you have to plan ahead then execute the moves, and backgammon is just simple math with a little strategy, enough to keep from snoozing.

Since I retired, I will never for the life of me, understand my sleep patterns or needs. If I sit here long enough at the computer, I will get very sleepy. So the first thing I do is read my emails. Then I go to the national news. I usually will start to get sleepy halfway through that. I hate falling asleep in the middle of the day. But it can just overcome me.

Sitting for too long sets off the pain in my hips and spine. If I take the Vicodin for the pain, about 15 minutes later, I am ready to put a new roof on the building. So instead, I get up away from the computer and head out to the kitchen. Do dishes, cook something, do anything to keep me standing until the pain subsides. Then back to the computer.

If I take just one Vicodin, it gets the pain under control. I have been on these pills and have never followed the directions to the letter. Take two, three times a day. I only take them when I really need them. I honestly feel like I will develop a dependence on them and become addicted. Plus I am under the impression that pain medication makes you sleepy. They seem to have the opposite effect on me.

I don't want to become addicted or use them for sleep. So I just let my inner rhythm dictate my sleep needs and pattern

Addie, everybody is different. Like for example you sleep during the day, I can't. Your brain and my brain are wired differently, and same goes for many or most people. The reason you don't understand is because you don't realize how different peoples' brains are. And it changes with age too!

Addie, everybody is different. Like for example you sleep during the day, I can't. Your brain and my brain are wired differently, and same goes for many or most people. The reason you don't understand is because you don't realize how different peoples' brains are. And it changes with age too!

You are so right Greg. Here it is 4:38 a.m. I have to go shopping with my son at 7:30. I should be sleeping. Instead I am wide awake. Last night you could wake me if a bomb went off in my bed. During my working days, I could never stay up past 11 p.m. Now I really don't have any real sleep patterns. Some people have to have total darkness. I turn the TV down as low as I can when I am ready to sleep. But I don't shut it off. My TV runs 24 hrs. 365 days. Even when I go out. I doubt I could sleep in total darkness ever again. And I have no idea why.

I am a freelance photographer with a rather narrow specialty. So, I may work 25 days or more one month, and 5 days the next. On the 20-plus day months, I am rarely working in Dallas, so I spend a lot of time on planes, in airports and sleeping in hotels. On the 5-day months, my body clock takes time to get with the program.

This creates some sleep issues. Well, that and I'm an old fart.

My posts here are often a reflection of that. It is 3:03 AM as I am posting this. On the road, I have my laptop, and when I can't sleep, I surf.

So, any other insomniacs here? Just curious. I can't imagine I am the only one, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

CD
Sometimes I can't get off to sleep or I wake up at some ridiculous hour and can't nod off again.

If I have a run of the MOTNIs (Middle Of The Night Insomnias) I embarque on a course of "treatment" - A milky drink (not my favourite but needs must) or a cup of camomile tea with a spoonful of honey before bed instead of my usual mug of (indian ) tea usually sorts out the problem. I also avoid the computer last thing at night and if I have something on my mind I speak to myself sternly about getting it out of my mind.

Oh yes, and avoid sleeping in the daytime. It upsets your body's natural rhythms.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yep, blackout drapes for the bedroom. On the other hand, a sleep mask is portable and indispensable for hospital patients, airline and car passengers, or naps in your recliner. :sleep:

Not a good night for insomnia. I have to fly to San Antonio in the morning.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for the next few weeks. I have cars to shoot in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Kansas, Florida and California -- so far. There will be more. All by March 15.

The way that I work probably has a lot to do with my sleep issues. I have these surges where one month I may sleep at home five days, sleeping in four time zones in two weeks, and then spend a whole month at home.

Like Danny Glover said in Lethal Weapon, "I'm getting too old for this $%@#."

CD

Sounds like a crazy schedule, CD. :wacko: I guess we won't see you around too often. Just check in enough so that we know you're still alive!

Are you going to car shows in those cities? Manufacturing plants? Dealerships? Wherever, it sounds like a tiring career. At least you have a loyal-but-crazy Psycho-dog waiting for when you get home. :heart:

Got my regular work done, should find something else to do but I am procrastinating. Therapy in the morning, then a blessed night off. Dang, I HAVE to do laundry...no rest for the wicked.

I am so happy to find the insomniacs here!

I'm just a natural night person. Go to bed at 2 to 3 am and up at 10 to noon.

Lately though, I've been staying awake until 5, 6, 7 or 8am and then I can only get a couple of hours sleep, so I'm basically wasted for the day. Like last night. I was up to 4am and then heated up a bowl of soup and finally drifted off at about 6am. Then I had to get up at 9 this morning.

But that one was my own fault. I started looking up some genealogical records last night (will someone explain to me why I always start these things at midnight?) and my brain went straight into overdrive. Next thing I knew, it was 4am and I was like a little owl.

My problem is when I go to sleep at 2 to 3 am I still wake up at 6:30 or 7 am. My internal clock won't let me sleep later even on completely dark days. It's not the sun. It's my internal clock.

Sounds like a crazy schedule, CD. :wacko: I guess we won't see you around too often. Just check in enough so that we know you're still alive!

Are you going to car shows in those cities? Manufacturing plants? Dealerships? Wherever, it sounds like a tiring career. At least you have a loyal-but-crazy Psycho-dog waiting for when you get home. :heart:

I'll have my MacBook with me, and will check in to unwind, as I am right now from the San Antonio Airport.

I am photographing cars for a classic car auction, which is a big part of my photography business. It is my "niche." It is very hard work, believe it or not, but I get to drive some really awe$ome cars.

Psycho-poodle is at the dog sitter's house, playing with Voodoo, his cat friend. He's not missing me at all.

CD

I get that, CD. My (retired) brother restores classic cars for customers and is really into it. It's actually more of a passion with him, and he makes a pretty penny for it. Isn't it fun to lay down on the ground in the rain and take those great shots? LOL. Be well and safe on your travels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom