"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Insomniac's Thread...

I am a freelance photographer with a rather narrow specialty. So, I may work 25 days or more one month, and 5 days the next. On the 20-plus day months, I am rarely working in Dallas, so I spend a lot of time on planes, in airports and sleeping in hotels. On the 5-day months, my body clock takes time to get with the program.

This creates some sleep issues. Well, that and I'm an old fart.

My posts here are often a reflection of that. It is 3:03 AM as I am posting this. On the road, I have my laptop, and when I can't sleep, I surf.

So, any other insomniacs here? Just curious. I can't imagine I am the only one, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

CD

Old 02-20-2017, 04:34 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I usually hang out here at night. I work 12 hour shifts as an RN in the nursing home. Love my job. But right around now I'm done with my work and everyone is asleep.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I usually hang out here at night. I work 12 hour shifts as an RN in the nursing home. Love my job. But right around now I'm done with my work and everyone is asleep.
My sister is a hospital RN. She's been an RN for about 35 years. To patients, she is more involved than the doctors. I can't tell enough people how proud of her I am. I have very high regards for RNs. It is a very admirable profession.

CD
Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you! I've been an RN for 19 years. Fully dedicated to my old folks. Hospitals are too fast for me, I don't get to know the patients before they are sent home. Here, we are a family and I know my patients very well.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thank you! I've been an RN for 19 years. Fully dedicated to my old folks. Hospitals are too fast for me, I don't get to know the patients before they are sent home. Here, we are a family and I know my patients very well.
I think my sister would sometimes like to change places with you. She is a hospital RN in Houston, currently the 4th largest city in the US, and it is about pass Chicago for third place. She doesn't get to know her patients for very long. But, she probably spends more time with them than their doctors. That part is probably not a whole lot different in your position.

CD
Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nope, the doctors see them for about 20 minutes every two months, unless they get sick.

Time to go home soon...
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
Head Chef

I'm not an insomniac but I often wake up in the middle of my sleep and can't get back to it.

I don't reach for the internet but I do reach for the book I was reading when I fell asleep.

Sometimes it puts me right back to sleep. (For some reason the good books do this.)
Other times I end up reading until it's time to face the new day.
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
Wine Guy

I used to be a terrible sleeper. I'd wake three or four times in the middle of the night. Sometimes I would just stay up because I couldn't fall back asleep.

Then, about 4 months ago, I purchased a new mattress. Previous to this purchase I had always slept on a firm mattress, because that was what a doctor recommended 25 years ago to remedy some back issues. He also suggested sleeping with a pillow between my knees to keep everything in alignment. So that's exactly what I did... for many, many years.

Well, a trip to California in 2015 changed my way of thinking. I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Santa Maria, and for the two weeks I was there had the best sleep of my entire life. I would go to bed around 10 and sleep though the entire night, often not getting up until 8 the next morning. My wife at the time also observed I wasn't tossing and turning as much, too.

So I went to the lady that ran the place and asked her about the mattress. Turns out it was an "ultra plush" design with a pillowtop - pretty much the opposite of what that doctor had recommended so many years ago. I would get into this bed and it would just sort of envelop me. It was awesome. Even if I tried, I simply could not stay awake in this bed.

When I moved into my new house last October, I bought myself a bedroom set, as well as the exact same mattress I had enjoyed at the B&B. Best decision I ever made. I also ditched the knee pillow after a couple of months because it would just make me hot and sweaty, and seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

Long story short: I truly enjoy bedtime again. I can't remember the last time I awoke in the middle of the night. And I no longer fight the urge to nod off at my desk in the middle of the afternoon.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

It also helps, I guess, to have the entire bed - of your choosing - to yourself.

When we moved into our new house, my wife and I had a few months to pick out a mattress as or bedroom furniture was being hand made in Amish communities in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
At the same time, we shopped for a bed for our son.

We must have tried out hundreds of matresses in dozens of stores. We drove the salespeople nuts.

DW and I ended up with a firm bed with just the right amount of "memory" give, and my boy chose a pillow top thing that I call the big marshmallow.

In the end, I'm lucky if I get 3 hours a day in our big bed.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a studio apartment in an elderly housing building. So there is not much housework to do to keep me busy. And having Pirate here with me, what little there is, I am only to happy to let him do it. It keeps him out of my hair.

So I can't say that I am exhausted at the end of the day. Unless I have to go out for several hours. As a result, being in the house all the time I can take a nap whenever the need for one overtakes me. I have a foam-pedic mattress. I have no trouble falling asleep. When I am really tired, I can easily sleep for 10 hours straight. But then I am up for 12-15 hours straight.

I eat only when I feel the need to. Not by the clock. As a result, I have lost 165 pounds this past year. I feel a lot healthier.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with Dermatology. So right now I have to jump into the shower and get my clothes ready.