Insulating Your Hot Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
With oil prices what they are I am trying to find ways to save this year. I really should have done this years ago, but never had the motivation I needed until now.

I know next to nothing about home improvement so I am looking to you all for suggestions. My first question is about insulating my hot water heater. Do I just buy regular insulation and wrap the tank or do hardware stores sell insulation secifically designed for hot water tanks?

Thanks Andy. That was the answer I was hoping for. Are they standard or do i need to take measurements of my tank?

They probably go by gallon capacity. I'd be prepared with height and circumference numbers as well as capacity.

Thanks Nicahawk. That pipe is exposed and not insulated. I will look into that as well. Thanks for the tip!

Good answers so far.
And if you're really feeling ambitious, and your house has a cellar, stick some insulation all around the wood plate that goes around the perimeter, where your floor joists are nailed.

Good answers so far.
And if you're really feeling ambitious, and your house has a cellar, stick some insulation all around the wood plate that goes around the perimeter, where your floor joists are nailed.
Thankfully that part is already done. Less work for me :)

just a wording thing gb, they are called water heaters, not hot water heaters....with some sales people, you'll get much better treatment if you simply call them water heaters:)

LOL thanks for pointing that out Beth. Things like that drive me crazy when other people do them so i am glad you educated me.

I guess what I really should have said was hot water tank.

While you are buying the tank insulation, get some for your Air Conditioner too... if you have a central air system.
Insulating the COLD pipes that run from your outside compressor to inside the house is another good way to save some bucks.

And if you get the wrap and tape type of insulating blanket for your heater, have some
duct tape handy. The tape supplied with the brand I got was absolutely worthless.

Just remember, things still have to breathe.

For example, several years ago waterproof jackets where completely water resistant. The issue was that as water could not get in, it could not get out, and the sweating became an issue for the wearer. That brought on the wave of Gortex products.

Many of the best insulations kits are spongy, with many swiss-cheese holes. Basements are damp, and a house "breathes" as the temperatures rise and fall with day and night, and then the change of seaons.

My Dad was the executive engineer for Master Lock. He had the same concerns, and like everything he did, he investigated it to death--both in terms of performance, but also in terms of cost.

He chose long slats of hard styerofoam, and affixed them around the tank leaving small gaps. He did wrap pipes, but only in places where the pipes would "weep" during temperature changes.

They lived in that house for 30 years and never had a damp basement, but lots of hot water and functional central air.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom