Insulin side effects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gossie

Sous Chef
I've been diabetic for over a decade. I take Lantus and Humalog. I'm wondering if anyone else has a side effect of aches and pains, mostly joint pain?

When I've been off the insulin, I didn't have any of these symptoms.

I have aches and pains, some of it joint pain, but nothing I think I can contribute to the Lantus or Humalog. I have been on both for three years now. Have you talked to your doctor about this? It might be an indicator of a rejection on your bodies part.

i have been have joint pain, mostly in my knees. just thought it was arthtis sp?

maybe it isn't, started humlong about a week ago, don't have to use it lot only bout 2 units. been taking lantus for about a year or so.

can't figure how to see if it is humlong without risk of high blood sugar levals.

any suggestions?

babe:ermm::ermm:

Last edited:
Babe, I would suggest checking with your doctor. People here are (in general, there may be exceptions) not medical professionals, we don't know your medical history or symptoms or all the meds you're taking, and we can only guess at what it might be - not good medical practice :) Please call your doctor.

Babe, I would suggest checking with your doctor. People here are (in general, there may be exceptions) not medical professionals, we don't know your medical history or symptoms or all the meds you're taking, and we can only guess at what it might be - not good medical practice :) Please call your doctor.

amen to that

I am going to stick by my original post to the OP and direct it at Babe as well: have you talked to your Dr. about this?

Humalog is not the only insulin out there, your Dr. can suggest alternatives or set up a way to find out if there is an interaction problem, etc. Just make sure your Dr. knows all the medications, supplements, vitamins, etc you take and especially so if you have more than one Dr. It might suprise some to find out that supplements and vitamins and other OTC meds can effect how your Prescription meds work.
Two other things I have learned that have helped me over the years: Our Dr.'s office has a nurse line that we can call for exactly these kinds of things. I call the nurse line, the nurse takes the info, and either gives me recommendations or consults the Dr. and calls me back with instructions info etc for me. Second WebMD is a good place to look up prescriptions and meds for info on side effects, interactions, etc. Just remember it is NOT a substitute for sound medical advice from a licensed Dr. It just provides, IMHO, a good reference and starting point as well as provide ideas you can talk to your Dr. about.
In my case I carry around a med card to keep track of all the meds I am taking now, and also list several supplements that my PCP suggested I take. On a couple of occasions they prescribed a different med based not on other prescriptions I had but on the supplements my PCP wanted me on.
This med card is especially helpful as right now I am seeing my PCP, Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Cardiologist, Endocrinologist, Dietitian, and physical therapist as well as an in home nurse that visits. Sometimes this is tough as Medicaid only allows each Dr. to prescribe up to 3 brand name meds a month.
Many of my meds had to be switched out for others as the ones they wanted would not be covered, and in many cases this really narrows down the Dr.'s choices and I end up with a med that works but is not the best one for me in my Dr.s opinion.
Thank God I have an in home nurse right now that helps me co-ordinate it all!!

Back
Top Bottom