Interesting Ancestral Photographs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beth, thanks for posting these.

I hope your scanning these at a far larger resolution than whats needed for display here. I can tell from looking at the camping pictures that there is far greater detail than what we can see.

I'm one of those people who cruise the Library of Congress photo Archives and save pictures in the large raw data format.

you are welcome wart, glad you are enjoying them.

What resolution do you suggest for these photos? Would some photos warrent different resolutions? I tried one at 1200 dpi and my computer balked. I have cabinet cards, one (so far) tintype, and lotsa general photos.

Yes, I also have noticed the great detail in some of my photos. Especially the ones taken by my grandfather who was an amateur photographer. How would you suggest these photos be scanned?

What resolution do you suggest for these photos? Would some photos warrant different resolutions? I tried one at 1200 dpi and my computer balked.

Talk about questions with multiple answers! I read your question last night, slept on it, did a little research and haven't come up with anything definitive.

The short answer is scan everything at as high a resolution as your system and your patience can handle.

I see scanning old photos not as simply sharing graphics but as archiving them. {story omitted} Thus I would scan at a high resolution and save the scan directly to the hard drive in a raw data format*. THEN create a second folder and copy all the scans to it. THEN burn the first folder to disk and put it in the safe. All this copying and backing up is so you don't have to scan again**.

*Raw format: This is the highest quality format and (generally) graphics can be retouched and manipulated with no or minimal degradation. There are multiple raw formats, your scanner/scanner driver/scanner program may have it's own raw format which would be the highest quality BUT is only useful if quality graphics programs can utilize that particular format.! The most widely used raw data format still seems to be Tagged Image Format (TIF).

** Scanning and backing up files: You really don't want to expose old photographs to light, especially intense light. Sunlight is murder, scanner light is not healthy either. The more times something is scanned the more damage is done. Unfortunately the couple of scanners I've had, the higher resolution I scan the longer the item is exposed. High resolution scans are a darned if you do and darned if you don't thing. Thus the first reason to back up the files two different ways. The second reason for double back ups is, do you really want to go through this again? Sooo much easier to, if something gets pooched in the editing process, go back and recopy an original to the working folder than it is to dig out the photo and have to rescan it.

The way I do it is as soon as I open an original file in the working folder is to save it under the 'publish' name.

WHEW!!

More on resolution .... AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAahhhhhhaaaaa

Yes, I know I wrote scan as 'big' as you can stand. This is where the/ a quality graphics program comes in.

Take the cumbersome raw data file, touch up and manipulate it, then save it (in raw form then>>>) resample it to a usable* size and finally save it in a universal format (usually JPG)

* What is usable? {maniacal laughter*}

In my particular case, with my system and monitor, for a 'full sized' reproduction anything over a 96 res (dot per inch, lines per inch, Pixels per Inch, aka DPI, LPI, PPI respectively) is a waste because my system and monitor is set for 96 DPI. Scan at 96 DPI and one inch of picture will display as one inch on my monitor. Scan at 192 and one inch of picture displays as two inches on my monitor .... but it will display as 2.666 inches on a monitor set to 72 DPI and 1.666 inches on a monitor set to 120 DPI. Sort of.

*Maddening, Isn't it?

So what could possibly justify scanning say, a 5"x7" photo at a resolution that could easily make the graphic stretch over two monitors? It's what I had to look up .... Printing.

At this time and state of todays printer technology it seems there is little to be gained by scanning greater than 300 PPI. This is for a 1:1 printing. Why would you want a higher resolution? If you wish to enlarge the picture extra data would come in handy. Also 300 is seen by some to be the upper limit with TODAYS tech, not tomorrows.

In conclusion, thank God, I would say scan at 600 and resample to suit the purpose.

wow, that's a lot to chew on....thank you so much for your insights...

fortunately I have not even begun to sort these photos. So I will have this to consider while I handle these photos one more time. I would say I have scanned almost 2/3rds at 300 dpi and 1/3 at 600 dpi. I graple with should I even scan ALL the photos I have. I have an obscene number of photos of my mother and her mother. It is unnatural how many photos they had taken of themselves.

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.

since warts advice, I have been scanning at a higher resolution and am not able to upload those photos onto this site...but here is one scanned lower...it is of a great aunt and her beau/husband, don't know the relationship at time of photo. this is also the same carriage my grandfather courted in, and the house in which he was raised

Attachments

• VaughnsSisterMaybe (2).jpg
    VaughnsSisterMaybe (2).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 177
Beth, that is a wonderful picture. He was a rakish, handsome guy. And look at her beautiful blouse! No polyester there. And I imagine she had her waist cinched in with some kind of corset. That's why she looks grim!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom