Interesting article about Cosby and slavery museum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might be interested if the museum would include ALL people who were slaves in the US. How about the Indians, Irish, Chinese, Mexican, etc., indentured servants, etc? Irish you might not know about but many women and children were sold by the British and transported to various places around the world. I am sure there were other people that were in a similar situation. Almost every week some poor person is rescued from slavery in an American home or business.... those are the one that are known so how many are not?

Its so hard to think about slavery at all. No one is saying that those other cultures didn't have slavery, it is all too prevalent everywhere in the world. Can we please focus on the positives of this situation instead of what might be missed? Its very easy to note what isn't being done, but lets instead celebrate that someone is doing SOMETHING.

A worthy cause, no doubt. I find it hard to rationalize building anything to recall the past when there are still so many displaced people today, still trying to get home to the gulf coast.
Imagine if everyone contributed $8 to the people who are alive...

Like I said, a worthy cause, to be sure. There are so many more pressing causes right now, I think.

Everyone has different priorities Vera, and none of us should expect anyone else's priorities to be our own.There are those folks out there who will feel this is a very good use for their $8. I hope you put yours where YOUR heart lies.

I couldn't agree more, Alix. Any contribution to any worthy cause cannot be wrong or misquided.:)

I love Bill Cosby simply because he is a passionate man, well educated, and he puts his education and therefore his fortune to good use. I for one love the idea of a slavery museum. In essence, it wouldnt matter what type of slavery the museum depicts, slavery is slavery, whether it be black, white, hispanic, nor would religion play a part. Slavery see's no color, no creed, no religion. Slavery is a bad part of everyone's life. I think Bill's cause is to show it out there in the raw to draw attention, to provoke thought, to cause emotion, to dimish the thought of racism ultimaltely.

VeraBlue said:
I couldn't agree more, Alix. Any contribution to any worthy cause cannot be wrong or misquided.:)

Exactly my thoughts Vera. I knew you were a smart lady!:LOL:

Amber, beautifully said.

Each has his "cause" be it mine or yours, it's a "cause" Of course in our eyes ours is very important, but then so is yours..So contribute where your heart tells you, hold your head high and be proud of what you've done and your neighbor can do the same, hands together, all "causes" become one.
Love your fellow man.
kadesma

These memorials are crucial to our understanding of where we come from. Cincinnati Ohio has a relatively new memorial built to the history of the Underground Railroad, named the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. Even if I get Alzheimers' Disease, I do not think I will forget visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland. Very powerful.

We must never forget.

Swann said:
I might be interested if the museum would include ALL people who were slaves in the US. How about the Indians, Irish, Chinese, Mexican, etc., indentured servants, etc? Irish you might not know about but many women and children were sold by the British and transported to various places around the world. I am sure there were other people that were in a similar situation. Almost every week some poor person is rescued from slavery in an American home or business.... those are the one that are known so how many are not?

The fact remains that the Civil War was fought primarily over the issue of slavery. And the planned location for the museum is rich in Civil War history. That said, I'm still not sold on the fact that the museum is the best way to end racism.

Swann,
Please elaborate on the part of your post that I have bolded above. Feel free to PM me if you like. Thanks, Roger.

I feel the need to interupt here - this post is not about racism and this post will not go there. This post is about a project, a project that tells about a piece of our history.

kitchenelf said:
I feel the need to interupt here - this post is not about racism and this post will not go there. This post is about a project, a project that tells about a piece of our history.

Sorry about that. I just feel the two issues are intertwined, and I feel one is more relevant in our society today. That is why I invited the PMs, because this issue could turn into a heated debate, and I know that is frowned upon at DC.

Even if I get Alzheimers' Disease, I do not think I will forget visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland. Very powerful.

We must never forget.
Jews were slaves in Ancient Egypt, too. Who do you think built the Pyramids? :ohmy:

Vagriller...
Not long ago a couple in Chicago were sent to jail for having a 12 yr girl in their household as a domestic.... no schooling and living in a slavery condition according to the media. I will not say the ethnicity of the family as they claimed she was "given to them" for training. A sweat shop, brothel, or etc. in Los angeles was raided and about 20 women from SE Asia were freed. they were kept in locked bldgs..... came here to marry a rich American or work in ??? They were unpaid and persons responsible sent to prison. Were they indentured servants? Probably not. Articles in paper say that it is believed there are thousands of women and children in slavery in the US. One in San Diego was a Russian "bride". It is an underground culture and well documented around the world.

life is to short to make others shorter.

Though I am apointed with a duel citizenship to both he U.K. and America, I recognize the backs this country was built on....as well as many other countries.

It is sad that this still goes on in the world, but the fact of the matter is, $$$ is the root of all evil and injustices/humiliations/lack of integirity/self demolition/world sufferage/continental indifferences....and a whole assortment of other inhumane activities.

Swann said:
Vagriller...
Not long ago a couple in Chicago were sent to jail for having a 12 yr girl in their household as a domestic.... no schooling and living in a slavery condition according to the media. I will not say the ethnicity of the family as they claimed she was "given to them" for training. A sweat shop, brothel, or etc. in Los angeles was raided and about 20 women from SE Asia were freed. they were kept in locked bldgs..... came here to marry a rich American or work in ??? They were unpaid and persons responsible sent to prison. Were they indentured servants? Probably not. Articles in paper say that it is believed there are thousands of women and children in slavery in the US. One in San Diego was a Russian "bride". It is an underground culture and well documented around the world.

I have read about the human trafficking issues in our country. It is astonishing to think that in this day and age that this type of thing goes on in "civilized" nations.:(

Back
Top Bottom