Interesting article on food styling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only things we do are we do spritz veggies with oil, blanch and chill veggies to keep their colour, and just sear the meat so it "looks" cooked. The other thing is I cook using my pans and action shots are in the "company" pans, but the pans are cold so we don't have to worry about burning our hands! We don't quite do food styling--what you see is pretty much what you get. Although, I was tempted to draw char marks on the halloumi cheese last week...

Thanks! Interesting article, funny too.

I liked his writing style too, Z. Funny - I knew there were tricks to food photography (for food that was never meant to be eaten), but I never would have thought Pine Sol and Fixodent would be involved. :ermm::LOL:

:ohmy: "If there’s cheese, you might want to melt it by spreading Pine-sol on it, which breaks it down chemically without overly browning it."

I caught that too Cheryl...I'd love to try it but I haven't the heart to sacrifice the cheese. I wonder who thought of that?

Velly interesting...:smartass:

While the techniques are interesting, the result is deceptive advertising with the sole purpose of deceiving the consumer.

While the techniques are interesting, the result is deceptive advertising with the sole purpose of deceiving the consumer.

Sadly, yes. Like it said about burgers in the article, (paraphrasing here) ".....put all the goodies in the front so no one can see the empty bun in the back....".

At least we are out of the 60's and 70's horrid colors and weird dishes. Anyone remember the Betty Crocker Recipe Card file in the plastic box? My mom had one. :mrgreen: I will never forget seeing a concoction that featured vertical hot dogs in a round with some substance in the middle....sort of like a weiner tiramisu. :LOL:

Last edited:
that's garlic jello in the center. makes it look like a roast rack of hot dogs.

i asked dw to make that for me for my birthday. the look of horror on her face was my gift.

that's garlic jello in the center. makes it look like a roast rack of hot dogs.

i asked dw to make that for me for my birthday. the look of horror on her face was my gift.

Ewww...! I bet you both had a good laugh over that suggestion. :LOL:

disclaimer....my late mom never made such horrific dishes...I just liked looking through those recipes and laughing, even back then...

That was a good read Cheryl. Thanks for sharing it!

I don't know the regulations that were in effect in 2012 when the article was written, but I hope they might be tougher than those in the 1990's. Back then I did food demos at a local grocery store for a regional chain. My supervisor had come to our store from a job at Meredith Corporation. She created recipes, wrote magazine articles and cookbooks, and worked with food photographers and stylists all the time. Heather would say "I make it taste good, then they make it look pretty". And she would certainly tell us that the stylists had much tougher jobs than she did - she really admired their skills. But the rules limited the food stylist as to how much "lipstick and hairspray" they could use. I would think the rules now are at least as strict as they were in the 1990s.

Back
Top Bottom