Internet dos and don'ts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
On internet forums, I often see people complaining about others doing things like posting on old threads, using text messaging...

Seeing such complaints on forums often makes me too nervous to post something for fear of violating these rules.

What are the other dos and don'ts of internet discussions?

Don't be scared Mel. We are much looser with things like that then most places. If you are posting to an old message then you must have something relevant to say and no one here would see that as an issue.

To answer your question about other dos and don'ts, here is my top one. Typing in all caps is an internet don't. It is the equivalent of yelling and is considered rude.

Mel, no need to be nervous here. You've just joined the most helpful group there is. As to things I don't like, nothing really, except when someone asks a question,gets a reply but doesn't respond in kind. That's about it and like GB no caps:) So jump in and enjoy.
kadesma

...As to things I don't like, nothing really, except when someone asks a question,gets a reply but doesn't respond in kind. kadesma
uh oh...I may be unintentionally quilty of that already (i'm new here). I'm a little overwhelmed at the plethora of threads and am not keeping track of where I've posted...i try my best though. I may not revisit because maybe I can't find it again or even remember to revisit. Maybe I should slow down and keep notes. Please accept my apologies if I've offended anyone or do it in the future...i'm over-fifty and might not remember like i used to but always appreciate the conversation here. :flowers:
YouTube - Tom Rush - Remember Song

uh oh...I may be unintentionally quilty of that already (i'm new here). I'm a little overwhelmed at the plethora of threads and am not keeping track of where I've posted...i try my best though. I may not revisit because maybe I can't find it again or even remember to revisit. Maybe I should slow down and keep notes. Please accept my apologies if I've offended anyone or do it in the future...i'm over-fifty and might not remember like i used to but always appreciate the conversation here. :flowers:

Do you get email notifications when someone replies to a thread you have started or responded to? I don't know how I would manage otherwise!

I am the same way vagriller. The other thing you can do is click on your User CP link at the top. If you are subscribed to a thread it will show up in there when there are new posts.

GeezLouise, I should have said to check your User CP...Mollyanne, I didn't mean you Please don't be offended.I was just stating something that bothers a lot of us. No one person was meant.
kadesma:)

It's okay, kandesma. I knew you didn't mean me personally, nor was I offended. I just said I might be one of the ones that unintentionally missed a thread posting and if so, my apologies. I was just covering my bets in case. Still learning here :)

Thanks for the great tips, vagriller and GB. I haven't been good about checking my email lately but will check it out...and the User CP is another good tool to use. I used it for my set up but didn't think to use it for this.

Thank you everyone ;)

It's okay, kandesma. I knew you didn't mean me personally, nor was I offended. I just said I might be one of the ones that unintentionally missed a thread posting and if so, my apologies. I was just covering my bets in case. Still learning here :)

Thanks for the great tips, vagriller and GB. I haven't been good about checking my email lately but will check it out...and the User CP is another good tool to use. I used it for my set up but didn't think to use it for this.

Thank you everyone ;)
Mollyanne,
be sure and check your user cp..ya never know when the karma fairy will strike:LOL:
kades

Thanks for all the advice :)
Yeah, I have experienced all those things too.

I havent done those particular ones, but I did post text messaging, which seems to upset some people way more than it should. I stopped doing it, because of the negativity it brought my way.

The other thing you can do is click on your User CP link at the top. If you are subscribed to a thread it will show up in there when there are new posts.

This is the ONLY way I can keep track of what I have posted to. If you have not used it, give it a try. I find it more convenient than emil notification.

Back
Top Bottom