"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
Sous Chef

as others have said...mozilla firefox is the ONLY way to go.

im a network engineer and security admin...and i wont let any of my peeps go near anything IE.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
Everymom

Mugsy, if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you tell me why not? I've not really had any issues so I'm interested in why Mozilla is better.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I am using it at work not home. Im not really impressed.
It works just fine. They changed the button layout which Im not used to quite yet. Personally I like the IE6 layout. Didnt really need to change it. IMO. They hide the "FILE; EDIT; VIEW; FAVORITES; TOOLS; HELP" bar. So I had to go and UN-hide it.
Aurora is correct with the "TAB" issue. Its nice because it saves space on your "START" bar at the bottom.
But again, for ME, its not a HUGE plus.
And for people that arent used to surfing the web (ie: my aunts) it is really confusing because the new button arrangement doesnt say WHAT the buttons do.

All in all..... its a changed button arrangement.... that hides the bar thingy and is more safe to use..... for now.
SOOOOOO..... its up to your own preference, aptitude and functionality.
If I had a choice for Mozilla (FoxFire) or IE7..... I would choose Foxfire.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Aurora, what is that tab feature like? And why do you like it better than the toolbar at the bottom? Just curious. Thanks all!
With IE prior to 7 each time you want to open a new website you have to open a new IE window which will allow you to see only one site at a time. With IE 7 you only need to run one copy of IE and it opens a new tab for each URL that is open. This uses less CPU time and makes it easier to switch between websites. Many computers with limited memory will crash or run very slowly if you open too many programs at the same time. This should not happen with IE 7.

I've been using Mozilla (FireFox) and NetCaptor (which uses the IE engine) for years for the tabbed browser functions however, there are some websites that I visit which will only work with Internet Explorer. Not all XHTML features are supported by FireFox and some sites look funky when run in FireFox.

I'm testing FireFox 2.0 now and while it is still buggy, it looks much more promising. There are so many new features and conveniences and the free extensions and add-ins make it much more useable than IE. For now, if you wish to try FireFox, stick with FireFox 1.5x for stability.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
With IE prior to 7 each time you want to open a new website you have to open a new IE window which will allow you to see only one site at a time. With IE 7 you only need to run one copy of IE and it opens a new tab for each URL that is open. This uses less CPU time and makes it easier to switch between websites. Many computers with limited memory will crash or run very slowly if you open too many programs at the same time. This should not happen with IE 7.

I've been using Mozilla (FireFox) and NetCaptor (which uses the IE engine) for years for the tabbed browser functions however, there are some websites that I visit which will only work with Internet Explorer. Not all XHTML features are supported by FireFox and some sites look funky when run in FireFox.

I'm testing FireFox 2.0 now and while it is still buggy, it looks much more promising. There are so many new features and conveniences and the free extensions and add-ins make it much more useable than IE. For now, if you wish to try FireFox, stick with FireFox 1.5x for stability.
Netscape uses the Mozilla engine by default, but can change to the IE engine as needed, without your knowledge. That makes NS nearly as vulnerable as IE. Most sites that require IE are in MS's pocket, and I tend to avoid them. NS also brings it's own package of problems. For example, Netscape has problems with some mouse drivers, not allowing the "scroll" option to function. I use Mozilla by preference; if there is a website I can't live without that insists on IE, I just use that browser for that site.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
Master Chef

DH just put it on the computer at home. Once I got used to it, I was OK with it. I'm not big on change . He said he did it because it's supposed ot have much better security features and because at some point the automatic updates will install it anyway. It's worked fine so far.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Alix switch to Firefox. It is much safer than IE. Virtually no viruses, spyware, adware, etc. No popups either unless you want them. Plus it is so customizable. You can make it do so many cool things. The next version (which is in beta testing now) automatically spellchecks what you type even.

You can have both IE and Firefox on your system at the same time so you have nothing to lost by loading it and giving it a try. It will even copy all your favorites from IE over to Firefox the first time you run it if you want.

Once you try Firefox you will start kicking yourself for all the time you have not already been using it, seriously.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Alix, Click Me to download Firefox
Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #19
Senior Cook

been using it extensively since it was released... plus, i tried the beta version.

in one word... "buggy." in two words... "very buggy." in 3 words, "don't do it."
Old 10-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Further comments from my DH:

I think before discussing the relative virtues of IE 7 and Firefox 1.5.X (not the unfinished experimental Firefox beta), one must set priorities. The two opposites are safety and convenience. One should decide,hopefully in advance, what one wants to go for. In case the choice is safety, Firefox is the undisputed winner according to a lot of published info. In case one opts for convenience, the answer is open. For sure familiarity carries some weight here.

What I take issue with is Microsoft's statement that IE 7 has 'improved' safety features. This sounds rather incredible when it comes from the maker of IE 6 which still has several unpatched vulnerabilities outstanding. In this respect, to work well does not necessarily mean to work safely. Lack of safety (if it exists) may show up later when purchases have been made by unknowns using your credit card number etc.

Alix, based on the above, I think the option is yours.