"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
It probably wouldn't be prudent to ask about vacation but I don't see why we can't ask about our salary. That's very important to know. I'm fixing to interview for a teaching position too. Yey! Good luck to you!

Old 02-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
Head Chef

Well - - I know it's a good position and I have an idea about what it would pay... and I would accept it if it was a little lower than what I'm thinking it is... but I don't think I'll be surprised one way or the other so it's not THAT important at this stage.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #13
Head Chef

I was actually an interviewer this morning.

Don't know if we have a job available yet, but the candidate knew that before she came and wanted to discuss the matter anyway. For a lot of reasons don't think it would be a fit, but she is fantastic candidate and am sure she will do well.

Having interviewed a number of people over the years, and been interviewed too many times, I must say the question of money is a toughie.

Had been advised when I first started interviewing for a job, that as an interviewee not to bring up anything re money or benefits, at least at the first interview.

If the interviewer brings the matter up, fine, but remember you are there to sell yourself.

The company wants to know what you can do for them.

Sometimes have been asked what my $ requirements were, and I always made it a point to know about what the job would go for. Then I usually give about what I considered close to the max, figuring they realized everything is negotiable. But would never give a hard nosed answer.

The best time to negotiate is when they have decided you are their choice.

At least that is my experience.

Best of luck Z. Hope it works out.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks for the advice, dot...

During the interview we talked about the 'staffing' issue and how to find a good fit (since I, too, have been on both sides of the table). Lots of people have the experience and the ability to DO the job. The trick is to get someone who will fit well with the team.

re: salary. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I just thought it was strange that she went into so much detail about all the other benefits (to the point where I was smiling and nodding as she was "blah blah blahing"). LOL
Old 02-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I think its fine to ask what your starting salary will be when they offer you the job although they should tell you on their own by that time and ask you if its acceptable.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

z, i hope the interviewer wasn't going on about the bennies, because the salary that they are going to offer sucks.
i would approach the subject, at least trying to find out the range that they are looking to pay, on the next interview.
and don't forget, if they aren't willing to cough up the dough-ray-me, you can always negotiate for more vacation.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #17
Head Chef

Good point Bucky... I do work in the Social Services field, and the pay doesn't really compare with many other corporate situations. However, this is a pretty high level position in Las Vegas' biggest agency. Like I said, I already have a pretty good idea what the range is and I don't think I'll be surprised.