Interview Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
I'll be leaving home in about 10 minutes and will be in the hot seat at the top of the hour. I expect that this will be a more professionally conducted interview than my last one, which was pretty-much a waste of my time.

1,000 good thoughts being sent your way Z!!

Good luck! Lot's of karma! Smiles! Hugs!

Good luck, Z. I would be sure the company comes up to my expectations. Ask questions, and be who you are.

Thanks for all your good wishes... I think it helped. The interview went well. It was a 'professional conversation' (which I like because I have the goods but don't like being grilled). I was the first person spoken to, so they're still talking to people today and tomorrow. They'll take the top two to a second and final interview. I'll find out whether they want me to come back before the end of this week.

You're right, mish... good advice. I always ask a lot of questions (it's easier to ask than to be grilled - - I like to "turn" the interview around wherever possible).

My reply was not about turning the interview around, but to make sure you ask the questions you need to ask about the company etc. Of course, it's never a good policy to ask - how much vacation time do I get? :ROFLMAO:

mish said:
My reply was not about turning the interview around, but to make sure you ask the questions you need to ask about the company etc. Of course, it's never a good policy to ask - how much vacation time do I get? :ROFLMAO:

It's funny 'cause she discussed all the company's benefits (including vacation) except PAY! I know it would be pretty decent but I didn't think it was prudent to ask at this time.

It probably wouldn't be prudent to ask about vacation but I don't see why we can't ask about our salary. That's very important to know. I'm fixing to interview for a teaching position too. Yey! Good luck to you!

Well - - I know it's a good position and I have an idea about what it would pay... and I would accept it if it was a little lower than what I'm thinking it is... but I don't think I'll be surprised one way or the other so it's not THAT important at this stage.

I was actually an interviewer this morning.

Don't know if we have a job available yet, but the candidate knew that before she came and wanted to discuss the matter anyway. For a lot of reasons don't think it would be a fit, but she is fantastic candidate and am sure she will do well.

Having interviewed a number of people over the years, and been interviewed too many times, I must say the question of money is a toughie.

Had been advised when I first started interviewing for a job, that as an interviewee not to bring up anything re money or benefits, at least at the first interview.

If the interviewer brings the matter up, fine, but remember you are there to sell yourself.

The company wants to know what you can do for them.

Sometimes have been asked what my $ requirements were, and I always made it a point to know about what the job would go for. Then I usually give about what I considered close to the max, figuring they realized everything is negotiable. But would never give a hard nosed answer.

The best time to negotiate is when they have decided you are their choice.

At least that is my experience.

Best of luck Z. Hope it works out.

Thanks for the advice, dot...

During the interview we talked about the 'staffing' issue and how to find a good fit (since I, too, have been on both sides of the table). Lots of people have the experience and the ability to DO the job. The trick is to get someone who will fit well with the team.

re: salary. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I just thought it was strange that she went into so much detail about all the other benefits (to the point where I was smiling and nodding as she was "blah blah blahing"). LOL

:) I think its fine to ask what your starting salary will be when they offer you the job although they should tell you on their own by that time and ask you if its acceptable.

z, i hope the interviewer wasn't going on about the bennies, because the salary that they are going to offer sucks.
i would approach the subject, at least trying to find out the range that they are looking to pay, on the next interview.
and don't forget, if they aren't willing to cough up the dough-ray-me, you can always negotiate for more vacation.

Good point Bucky... I do work in the Social Services field, and the pay doesn't really compare with many other corporate situations. However, this is a pretty high level position in Las Vegas' biggest agency. Like I said, I already have a pretty good idea what the range is and I don't think I'll be surprised.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom