"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have an iPhone 3. A friend gave it to me when she got an Android phone. I'm pretty sure my next phone will run Android.
I have a friend that is an Attorney. She swears by the Android. They are already having problems with the iPhone 5. Her kids are the ones who stand in line for days to get the latest. She is always trying their newest one and still swears by her Android. Me, I have a simple phone that lets me make calls or text. I don't know how to text. But my phone is free. So I have no complaints.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

We have stupid phones @ $40/mo. each. I don't honestly need a smartphone but if I could afford it, I'd buy an iPhone for the fun of playing with a new gadget.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Traded my iPhone 4 in for $150 credit. Adopted a new Samsung Galaxy 3s. For my money this is a much more capable than iPhone in every way that matters. Still have my iPad and Macs but the iPhone 5 is just plain disappointing. I was expecting much more from Apple.

do you think the iphone 5 would look any different if steve jobs were still alive?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

do you think the iphone 5 would look any different if steve jobs were still alive?
This one he actually designed.... It's the next one that will be not his creation
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
Unequivocally yes. Read Steve Jobs bio. Besides being a great history lesson on the personal computer it shows how the company was totally dependent on Steve's force of will to exceed the limits of perfection. Steve's drive was such that even the internal components that most users will never even see should be as beautifully designed as the outside. Without that guidance Apple will struggle to keep the pace that Steve set for them.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

I have a stupid phone that I rarely use, so I sure won't be getting one.

I was looking at all the young people camping out to get the first of these $700 phones and seriously wondered just where these youngsters got that kind of money to burn.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My sister's cell phone is dying. She called and it dropped the connection 4 times. I asked if she would be getting a smart phone and if it would be an iPhone. I told her I was going to get an Android next time. She asked if it was compatible. Compatible, hunh? Oh, could it sync with your computer? That reminded of one of the things I hate most about my iPhone - Apple's iTunes for syncing. What an awful interface. The one for Android can't be that bad.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I started out with the SafeLink phone. Couldn't make calls inside the building. Hated the phone. Very small, hard to use the keyboard, etc. Also ot call for assistance, I was talking to India. I have enough trouble understanding Americans. So when Assurance by Virgin came along I grabbed the opportunity. I still had 2000 minutes on the SafeLink phone. So I gave it to Son #2 to use. He gobbled up those minutes in nothing flat. That phone is now shut off. I did buy 250 minutes for $5.00 to go along with the 250 free minutes I get every month from Virgin. (Branson Company) Those minutes I keep. But the free ones, if I don't use them up every month, I lose them and just get new 250 minutes. This past month I used up the minutes with everything going on with my daughter. I also am using the free phone calls with the Gmail phone. It saves my minutes on my cell phone for calls I receive. I can't receive calls on Gmail but that is okay with me. With my grand income, my main concern is "free!" I don't make that many calls. Mostly to family and sometimes Winthrop. So I call them on Gmail and receive calls from them on my cell phone. Works for me. Who need iPhone #5? If I want to play games, I have a personal computer at home. and that is where I spend most of my time anyway.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

I have never owned and probably never will own any device that starts with "I".
No reason, I just haven't!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
My sister's cell phone is dying. She called and it dropped the connection 4 times. I asked if she would be getting a smart phone and if it would be an iPhone. I told her I was going to get an Android next time. She asked if it was compatible. Compatible, hunh? Oh, could it sync with your computer? That reminded of one of the things I hate most about my iPhone - Apple's iTunes for syncing. What an awful interface. The one for Android can't be that bad.
You really don't need any software on your computer for Android, like you do with itunes and iphones.

You can hook them up if you want to, but it is like hooking up a hard drive, Windows handles that on its own. For my music I just go to Google play and add my music from there and can either listen streaming, or download it to my phone. I also use amazon's music service and it works in much the same way.

http://bakingbetter.com
Closed Thread