"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

iphone 5 is out today

just curious--how many of us (you) are buying the new iphone? who already has an iphone or ipad? what features or aspects of it do you like the best? how is it superior to other smart phones?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Master Chef

No iphone for me.

I carry a $15.00 burner.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Sous Chef

The while family is so getting it in 2 months when out contract is up. But I'm an attorney and we have a family business and constantly need to be connected: text, Email, Dropbox, calendar, Internet, efax, spreadsheets, we all use while running around Miami. So it's indispensable. Also totally fun to play games, read, DC forum, I look up recipes on way to supermarket to buy food as no time to plan.

I'm looking foward to the do not disturb So you can "turn off the phone" while still fielding calls/texts from some people (ie shut off work but keep wife and kids)

Also looking foward to camera. Evidently better then alot of digital cameras. So I've been taking plenty pics of my baby (who carries cameras around??) and Bigge screen as we use it for work alot.

Also supposed to be fast as hell. Can't wait
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have an iPhone 3. A friend gave it to me when she got an Android phone. I'm pretty sure my next phone will run Android.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

They are no doubt nice phones, but I don't get the hype.

You could have bought a better phone with LTE over a year ago (heck almost 2 years ago), larger screen, and with google maps navigation, the best map system out there.

I saw people on TV who got them, telling how revolutionary the phone is, ummm, no it's not, it's just a slight upgrade from the last phone and still lags behind a lot of other phones.

They are nice phones and quite user friendly, but Android has come a long way in the last couple of years and is excellent. I almost bought my partner an iPhone for christmas last year, but the lack of google maps navigation and to a lesser extent, lack of an option of a physical keyboard, I spent half the money and got him a really nice Samsung phone, with LTE.

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The internet was down today at work (from a sidewalk network cable cutting accident from out of town), so all work computers in all the schools in the district were totally useless, as was the system in the main office.

Enter the iPhone 4S! It worked, I was able to get email, do paperwork, etc.

I love my iPad too. It just didn't work at work, as it's not 3G.

Apple has the best apps. I know there are folks who love their Droids, etc. I'm happy with iPhone, have no interest in upgrading yet.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I know that I could survive without a smartphone, but I'm not sure if I want to

It's just so nice to have. It's to the point that I rarely travel with my laptop anymore.

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Shucks, I never had a cell phone until a couple of years ago. Swore I would not get one for a long time. I still ain't sure about the necessity of it but Mrs Hoot was determined I oughta have one. It ain't a smart phone but I ain't sure I am smarter than it is.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Traded my iPhone 4 in for $150 credit. Adopted a new Samsung Galaxy 3s. For my money this is a much more capable than iPhone in every way that matters. Still have my iPad and Macs but the iPhone 5 is just plain disappointing. I was expecting much more from Apple.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When I travel I leave all the connected things at home. I have a Trac Phone for emergencies, it just makes phone calls. Yes, when it comes to phones, I am a Luddite.