"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
iPhone help

Help!

A friend gave me her old iPhone. It says, "8GB". I can't see anything that tells the model #, but that's usually on the inside of phones. How do I open it up to put in my SIM card?

It's charging right now and it just chirped at me. It says to insert a valid SIM to activate the phone.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I took my phone to the local Verizon store, as I couldn't get the slot open to check the sim card. The guy at the store had difficulty too...mine is in a case right now, but as I recall, there's a small slot cover with a tiny hole on the outside of the phone, you insert the end of a paperclip into the hole, push, and if it works, it sproings the little door open. Then you can stick your sim card in.

Check out the Apple iPhone website, that might have some more advice. Or take it to your phone store and have them do it. I was afraid I would hurt it.

Good luck! You'll love your new iPhone!

Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I took my phone to the local Verizon store, as I couldn't get the slot open to check the sim card. The guy at the store had difficulty too...mine is in a case right now, but as I recall, there's a small slot cover with a tiny hole on the outside of the phone, you insert the end of a paperclip into the hole, push, and if it works, it sproings the little door open. Then you can stick your sim card in.

Check out the Apple iPhone website, that might have some more advice. Or take it to your phone store and have them do it. I was afraid I would hurt it.

Good luck! You'll love your new iPhone!
Thanks, it worked. Now I'm stuck. I have no idea what to do from here. I guess I'm checking the Apple website.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

Thanks, it worked. Now I'm stuck. I have no idea what to do from here. I guess I'm checking the Apple website.
If Safari browser is on your phone (it usually comes standard) go to the bookmarks icon in it (looks like a little open book) scroll down, and the whole iPhone manual should be right there on your iPhone. I lucked out, as I already had an iPad, so not much of a learning curve. I found our phone service provider was anxious to help as well.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
If Safari browser is on your phone (it usually comes standard) go to the bookmarks icon in it (looks like a little open book) scroll down, and the whole iPhone manual should be right there on your iPhone. I lucked out, as I already had an iPad, so not much of a learning curve. I found our phone service provider was anxious to help as well.
I have no idea what's on here. The apple website is no help. This is all I see when I switch it on:

That's a closed padlock above the circle with the notes and it says iTunes below circle with the notes.

If I click the i in a circle, I get an IMEI # and an ICCID #.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Did you activate a phone service? Okay. Do you have iTunes downloaded to your PC? It's asking you to connect to the PC iTunes. Download iTunes on your PC, plug the phone in to the PC using the cable that should have come with your phone, and see what happens. It should have a walk through from there. I will try to find the iPhone manual link and post it.

Here they are.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download itunes first.

Know what, TL, you have to activate a phone service first! Check out the manual.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Okay. Do you have iTunes downloaded to your PC? It's asking you to connect to the PC iTunes. Download iTunes on your PC, plug the phone in to the PC using the cable that should have come with your phone, and see what happens. It should have a walk through from there. I will try to find the iPhone manual link and post it.

Here they are.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now

Download itunes first.

Know what, TL, you have to activate a phone service first! Check out the manual.
I have a phone service with that SIM card.

I don't have iTunes, yet. Thanks for the link and the info.

Yes, I have a cable to connect the phone to my PC.

I'll go give all of that a try.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You need to call, activate, and get a data plan. Sorry, I should have said that first. I think you can also get one online, but they still give you a number to call to activate.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Your phone may be locked from the previous owner. You may need to get the password to unlock it. The folks at the phone store are very helpful around here. As you use the phone you will discover all sorts of things that no one ever told you. At least that is how it is for me.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Your phone may be locked from the previous owner. You may need to get the password to unlock it. The folks at the phone store are very helpful around here. As you use the phone you will discover all sorts of things that no one ever told you. At least that is how it is for me.
I was beginning to wonder if that was what the locked padlock meant. I'll ask her.