iPhone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Help!

A friend gave me her old iPhone. It says, "8GB". I can't see anything that tells the model #, but that's usually on the inside of phones. How do I open it up to put in my SIM card?

It's charging right now and it just chirped at me. It says to insert a valid SIM to activate the phone.

:unsure:

I took my phone to the local Verizon store, as I couldn't get the slot open to check the sim card. The guy at the store had difficulty too...mine is in a case right now, but as I recall, there's a small slot cover with a tiny hole on the outside of the phone, you insert the end of a paperclip into the hole, push, and if it works, it sproings the little door open. Then you can stick your sim card in.

Check out the Apple iPhone website, that might have some more advice. Or take it to your phone store and have them do it. I was afraid I would hurt it.

Good luck! You'll love your new iPhone!

Last edited:
I took my phone to the local Verizon store, as I couldn't get the slot open to check the sim card. The guy at the store had difficulty too...mine is in a case right now, but as I recall, there's a small slot cover with a tiny hole on the outside of the phone, you insert the end of a paperclip into the hole, push, and if it works, it sproings the little door open. Then you can stick your sim card in.

Check out the Apple iPhone website, that might have some more advice. Or take it to your phone store and have them do it. I was afraid I would hurt it.

Good luck! You'll love your new iPhone!

Thanks, it worked. Now I'm stuck. I have no idea what to do from here. I guess I'm checking the Apple website.

taxlady said:
Thanks, it worked. Now I'm stuck. I have no idea what to do from here. I guess I'm checking the Apple website.

If Safari browser is on your phone (it usually comes standard) go to the bookmarks icon in it (looks like a little open book) scroll down, and the whole iPhone manual should be right there on your iPhone. I lucked out, as I already had an iPad, so not much of a learning curve. I found our phone service provider was anxious to help as well.

If Safari browser is on your phone (it usually comes standard) go to the bookmarks icon in it (looks like a little open book) scroll down, and the whole iPhone manual should be right there on your iPhone. I lucked out, as I already had an iPad, so not much of a learning curve. I found our phone service provider was anxious to help as well.

I have no idea what's on here. The apple website is no help. This is all I see when I switch it on:

IMG_3015.JPG

That's a closed padlock above the circle with the notes and it says iTunes below circle with the notes.

If I click the i in a circle, I get an IMEI # and an ICCID #.

Did you activate a phone service? Okay. Do you have iTunes downloaded to your PC? It's asking you to connect to the PC iTunes. Download iTunes on your PC, plug the phone in to the PC using the cable that should have come with your phone, and see what happens. It should have a walk through from there. I will try to find the iPhone manual link and post it.

Here they are.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS3.1_User_Guide.pdf

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download itunes first.

Know what, TL, you have to activate a phone service first! Check out the manual.

Last edited:
Okay. Do you have iTunes downloaded to your PC? It's asking you to connect to the PC iTunes. Download iTunes on your PC, plug the phone in to the PC using the cable that should have come with your phone, and see what happens. It should have a walk through from there. I will try to find the iPhone manual link and post it.

Here they are.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS3.1_User_Guide.pdf

Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now

Download itunes first.

Know what, TL, you have to activate a phone service first! Check out the manual.

I have a phone service with that SIM card.

I don't have iTunes, yet. Thanks for the link and the info.

Yes, I have a cable to connect the phone to my PC.

I'll go give all of that a try.

Thanks for all the help.

You need to call, activate, and get a data plan. Sorry, I should have said that first. I think you can also get one online, but they still give you a number to call to activate.

Your phone may be locked from the previous owner. You may need to get the password to unlock it. The folks at the phone store are very helpful around here. As you use the phone you will discover all sorts of things that no one ever told you. At least that is how it is for me.

Your phone may be locked from the previous owner. You may need to get the password to unlock it. The folks at the phone store are very helpful around here. As you use the phone you will discover all sorts of things that no one ever told you. At least that is how it is for me.

I was beginning to wonder if that was what the locked padlock meant. I'll ask her.

taxlady said:
I was beginning to wonder if that was what the locked padlock meant. I'll ask her.

I hope it works out for you. I just love my iPhone. I realized that they call it a smart phone because when you figure everything out you feel smart. :D

chopper said:

That might just be it, Chopper! I got mine new out of the box.

Last edited:
chopper said:
I hope it works out for you. I just love my iPhone. I realized that they call it a smart phone because when you figure everything out you feel smart. :D

Lol, Chopper, that's how I feel every time I figure out something new on my IPhone! I've had it for a year and a half and am still learning!

I am wondering, what kind of SIM card Taxlady is trying to put into her IPhone. Are non-Apple products compatible? I'm guessing she has a card from another smart phone.........oh well, I hope you get it all sorted out Taxlady. :)

I am wondering, what kind of SIM card Taxlady is trying to put into her IPhone. Are non-Apple products compatible? I'm guessing she has a card from another smart phone.........oh well, I hope you get it all sorted out Taxlady. :)

I'm just putting my regular old SIM card that I have had for 11 years. Once I installed iTunes and hooked the phone to the computer, it works. I picked up my voice mail. I tried calling my cell phone's 611, but I got the after hours message. I need to talk to someone there to figure out if I want a data plan and if so, which one.

But, I can't figure out how to send a text message. Does this thing have predictive typing? It asked me for the password for the house wifi network, but I guess I got it wrong. Now, I can't figure out how to try again. I have sent text messages to my friend to ask her and to DH asking if I have the password right. They are at her house having a LOTR marathon viewing.

taxlady said:
I'm just putting my regular old SIM card that I have had for 11 years. Once I installed iTunes and hooked the phone to the computer, it works. I picked up my voice mail. I tried calling my cell phone's 611, but I got the after hours message. I need to talk to someone there to figure out if I want a data plan and if so, which one.

But, I can't figure out how to send a text message. Does this thing have predictive typing? It asked me for the password for the house wifi network, but I guess I got it wrong. Now, I can't figure out how to try again. I have sent text messages to my friend to ask her and to DH asking if I have the password right. They are at her house having a LOTR marathon viewing.

Go to Settings - general- network - wifi, turn off wifi. Then your network should take over, and you won't need a password.

Last edited:
Go to Settings - general- network - wifi, turn off wifi. Then your network should take over, and you won't need a password.

My home network has a password. How will my home wifi network work with the iPhone if I tell the iPhone to turn off wifi?

I'm not trying to do stuff on the fido (cell phone company) 3G network. Then they want me to pay for all the data bits. I may do that later when I have figured out some stuff and can talk to a person at fido to get a data plan.

taxlady said:
My home network has a password. How will my home wifi network work with the iPhone if I tell the iPhone to turn off wifi?

I'm not trying to do stuff on the fido (cell phone company) 3G network. Then they want me to pay for all the data bits. I may do that later when I have figured out some stuff and can talk to a person at fido to get a data plan.

I have Verizon, and a home wifi network. My iPad works on my home network and my iPhone works on Verizon's net. Not sure what to tell you!

I have Verizon, and a home wifi network. My iPad works on my home network and my iPhone works on Verizon's net. Not sure what to tell you!

You probably have some sort of reasonable data plan. We pay more for cell phone plans here in Canada than you guys pay in the States. It should be able to connect to the home network because I can see the name of my home network and I didn't type it in.

You probably have some sort of reasonable data plan. We pay more for cell phone plans here in Canada than you guys pay in the States. It should be able to connect to the home network because I can see the name of my home network and I didn't type it in.

Can you not just type in your password? If you go to settings and tell it to join the WiFi network it should prompt you for the password.

Back
Top Bottom