"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Essiebunny,
you have all of your DC family right here. Lean on us all you would like to. I know how hard this must be..So, if you need to come anytime and let us lend a shoulder and an ear...Thoughts and prayers, that this and all things are easier to bare.
kadesma

Old 11-27-2006, 03:15 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

my heart goes out to marge, tg, sush, and essieb, and everyone else who spirit is sad this christmas.

i wish i could send you my son for just a day, so you can sit him on your lap to tell him all about frosty, and rudolph, and coal in the stocking , and the whole shebang.

things have been rough around these parts of late, which should normally have shoved any kind of christmas spirit right out the window. but this is my boy's first christmas that he's beginning to understand how it works, and it's just the most wonderful thing that has rekindled that spirit in me.

how can you be down when you have the sweetest little boy listening, nay, hanging on every word of every story about santa, and his elves and eight tiny reindeer. it's every bit of the wonder and fantasy that is christmas just sitting there in your lap: the joy of family traditions, dreaming of gifts, brilliant lights and pretty decorations abounding. he encompasses every bit of love and hope that has ever existed, and because of him - for me - it's gonna be great.

i know you all can remember that. that feeling, almost an anticipation of the joyous events of the season, and the warmth and love of your family. i'm sure if you look down deep enough; look really hard enough, you'll find a tiny little flame, maybe just a spark, of what you loved about christmas.

you know, if you should find in yourself, even just for a short time, maybe you'll be able to share it with others. so many in this world need you, maybe you don't realize it or can see that anymore. it should'nt take you long to find someone who could use a little kindness.

and that, my friends, is the best gift given at this time of year. the hope that if we all just stop and care about each other, just to show a little love to our fellow man, the world might just be a better place for one day.

so no, virginia, santa's not dead.

not so long as there are little boys (and girls) that need to hear of the miracle of christmas.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #33
Master Chef

oh, goodness, why am I crying----oh, Buckytom, you said it all so beautifully
and all my heartfelt sympathy for those of you experiencing such sadness now---I lost my mother in law in October (really she was given to me as a mother for the one that God took with cancer at age 9) and Thanksgiving was really tough without her--it was her favorite time of year. But then I look at my 4 year old granddaughter and this was the first year that I was told that she didn't cry on Santa's lap and actually told him what she wanted. We have at least a few more years to bring the majic and wonder of Christmas to her life though it's difficult this year. But life does go on. I do have to admit that living overseas where you aren't assaulted by Christmas in August and sick of it by Halloween does help----decorations in Kazakhstan did not show up until last week and only on a small scale as this is basically a Muslim country. The city does set out pretty lighted Christmas decorations however that are beautiful to look at. And of course the snow and -15 degree weather does help to put one in the mood. They don't commercialize Christmas over here like we do in the states and no one has to decorate unless they want to. It's not expected. And that in itself takes off the pressure.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:15 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Question OooH!

[quote=texasgirl] and this year, he is adding sidewalk lights that are giant christmas bulbs

Dear TexasGirl,
I saw some of those in a local display but I fell in the ice and snow and by the time I recovered they had taken down the display. Can you tell me where you got them? Or the company that made them? Searching for "Giant Christmas Bulbs," as you can guess leaves me in a huge sea of search results.

Thanks!