"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Master Chef

Thumbs down Is anyone else having trouble with Xmas spirit

I just can't get into the mood, AGAIN!
I like it because it gives me the excuse that I need to buy things for people. I love giving gifts!!!
I just don't like all the other stuff that goes with it anymore. The lights are pretty, but, I'm not interested in going out and looking at them anymore. DH is putting his up at this very minute and I just couldn't care less!! All the inside stuff is still in the attic!!
I do miss buying all the things for my boys when they were small. Playing Santa and hiding things, then spending all night wrapping and putting things together. It use to be all about them, now it isn't. They're older and have very few things they want and it's like cd's or movies or things like that.
My candy making day is next Sunday and I don't want to go. I just cant' get into any of it.
Any other Grinches out there??

Old 11-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Executive Chef

It's VERY hard to get in the Christmas spirit here in the islands. It's summer all year round. It's so warm that the Christmas trees in our homes are dead before Christmas comes along. Also, we don't have any little ones in the family. I feel you can always see Christmas thru a child's eyes. Bah! Humbug!

Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
DH is putting his up at this very minute
forgive me, but That part of your post struck me as a little ODD

By DH I gather you`re married, but when you say "HIS" stuff, how does that work?

but if you ignore that part, it would seem he`s obviously still keen and hasn`t lost his Umpf, have a chat with him, perhaps he`s got plenty to share

think of this way also, perhaps this gives you guys some YOU time together this year!

Chin Up, I`ll send you some from this end anyway, I got Plenty to spare

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
yes, I'll be part of the humbug group this year.... Maybe, next week will be different but so far. I can't get excited about the holidays.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ahhh Texas and Pds,
come on over here and I'll set 3 boys and 1 Little spit fire on ya and the Christmas spirit will take hold in no time. I know it gets to the point when you little ones are grown that you think why bother...but these guys have kept me galumping along..When I look at their eyes get big at the sight of the Christmas tree all lighted and sparkly with ornaments and hear the oooooh's as they check out the gifts asking who's this for Ma?
Maybe this year don't do as much, do a little but make sure you have those lights, and one evening,after dark, turn off all the lights light a fire if you have a fireplace pour yourself some wine or hot chocolate and have a cookie, and just enjoy the twinkle of the light..Remember your boys faces on Christmas morning and how one day soon, you will see that look again..Maybe on a little boy or girl who will call you Ma like mine do.

kadesma
Old 11-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Kadesma... I can't wait for that day!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'm never into it this early. Give me about 2 weeks.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
forgive me, but That part of your post struck me as a little ODD

By DH I gather you`re married, but when you say "HIS" stuff, how does that work?

but if you ignore that part, it would seem he`s obviously still keen and hasn`t lost his Umpf, have a chat with him, perhaps he`s got plenty to share

think of this way also, perhaps this gives you guys some YOU time together this year!

Chin Up, I`ll send you some from this end anyway, I got Plenty to spare

Yes, I'm married and my stuff is everything inside, "his" is all the outside stuff. His favorite movie is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Ever see that one? This year,"Deck the halls" has come out and it's worse. He has icicles lights for the entire house eaves, colored ribbons that go all the way around under the soffit{sp} color strings that go on the corners of the house, white strings that go all over the 8' fence, globes that go in the trees, 3 reindeer, a sleigh, a holographic santa, a projecter and this year, he is adding sidewalk lights that are giant christmas bulbs
THAT is the only part that he likes. We fight over what I buy for my boys. His limit is $50 not mine!!!! He gripes about how much I spend, although, I don't spend more than $400 a year between my boys, him, the white elephant for my side and then his side. I think I do very good. As far as getting any spirit from him, forget it!! Now, if you want to share some, send it on down here. I would welcome it with open arms!!

kadesma, I can't wait to have grankids. I know when that happens, that my mood will change dramatically. I envy you right now. Your family is still so very close and you get to see them so often. I hope my boys stay close to us so that I can see them whenever I want also.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
Everymom

I'm with middie, its still too early for me. My girls have been busily making stuff for Christmas gifts, but I am still just coasting happily along. Christmas spirit will arrive whenever we finally go get a tree.

Don't worry about the humbug feeling texasgirl, when Christmas Eve arrives and you stop to count your blessings it will be there in full force. (PS, I'll be counting you in as one of mine this year. BIG HUG!!!)
Old 11-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Far too early for me, too, I'm afraid.

But, when I do get round to decorating, we put very little outside the house - and try to use traditional things inside like pine sprays and ivy garlands etc, with lots of candles and white lights and garland the mantlepieces and the staircases with fresh ivy etc and ribbons.