Is anyone else having trouble with Xmas spirit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I just can't get into the mood, AGAIN!
I like it because it gives me the excuse that I need to buy things for people. I love giving gifts!!!
I just don't like all the other stuff that goes with it anymore. The lights are pretty, but, I'm not interested in going out and looking at them anymore. DH is putting his up at this very minute and I just couldn't care less!! All the inside stuff is still in the attic!!
I do miss buying all the things for my boys when they were small. Playing Santa and hiding things, then spending all night wrapping and putting things together. It use to be all about them, now it isn't. They're older and have very few things they want and it's like cd's or movies or things like that.
My candy making day is next Sunday and I don't want to go. I just cant' get into any of it.
Any other Grinches out there??

It's VERY hard to get in the Christmas spirit here in the islands. It's summer all year round. It's so warm that the Christmas trees in our homes are dead before Christmas comes along. Also, we don't have any little ones in the family. I feel you can always see Christmas thru a child's eyes. Bah! Humbug!:(

texasgirl said:
DH is putting his up at this very minute

forgive me, but That part of your post struck me as a little ODD:huh:

By DH I gather you`re married, but when you say "HIS" stuff, how does that work?

but if you ignore that part, it would seem he`s obviously still keen and hasn`t lost his Umpf, have a chat with him, perhaps he`s got plenty to share :)

think of this way also, perhaps this gives you guys some YOU time together this year!

Chin Up, I`ll send you some from this end anyway, I got Plenty to spare :):):)

yes, I'll be part of the humbug group this year.... Maybe, next week will be different but so far. I can't get excited about the holidays.

Ahhh Texas and Pds,
come on over here and I'll set 3 boys and 1 Little spit fire on ya and the Christmas spirit will take hold in no time. I know it gets to the point when you little ones are grown that you think why bother...but these guys have kept me galumping along..When I look at their eyes get big at the sight of the Christmas tree all lighted and sparkly with ornaments and hear the oooooh's as they check out the gifts asking who's this for Ma?
Maybe this year don't do as much, do a little but make sure you have those lights, and one evening,after dark, turn off all the lights light a fire if you have a fireplace pour yourself some wine or hot chocolate and have a cookie, and just enjoy the twinkle of the light..Remember your boys faces on Christmas morning and how one day soon, you will see that look again..Maybe on a little boy or girl who will call you Ma:) like mine do.

kadesma:)

YT2095 said:
forgive me, but That part of your post struck me as a little ODD:huh:

By DH I gather you`re married, but when you say "HIS" stuff, how does that work?

but if you ignore that part, it would seem he`s obviously still keen and hasn`t lost his Umpf, have a chat with him, perhaps he`s got plenty to share :)

think of this way also, perhaps this gives you guys some YOU time together this year!

Chin Up, I`ll send you some from this end anyway, I got Plenty to spare

Yes, I'm married and my stuff is everything inside, "his" is all the outside stuff. His favorite movie is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Ever see that one? This year,"Deck the halls" has come out and it's worse. He has icicles lights for the entire house eaves, colored ribbons that go all the way around under the soffit{sp} color strings that go on the corners of the house, white strings that go all over the 8' fence, globes that go in the trees, 3 reindeer, a sleigh, a holographic santa, a projecter and this year, he is adding sidewalk lights that are giant christmas bulbs:huh: :wacko:
THAT is the only part that he likes. We fight over what I buy for my boys. His limit is $50:LOL: not mine!!!! He gripes about how much I spend, although, I don't spend more than $400 a year between my boys, him, the white elephant for my side and then his side. I think I do very good. As far as getting any spirit from him, forget it!!:) Now, if you want to share some, send it on down here. I would welcome it with open arms!!

kadesma, I can't wait to have grankids. I know when that happens, that my mood will change dramatically. I envy you right now. Your family is still so very close and you get to see them so often. I hope my boys stay close to us so that I can see them whenever I want also.

I'm with middie, its still too early for me. My girls have been busily making stuff for Christmas gifts, but I am still just coasting happily along. Christmas spirit will arrive whenever we finally go get a tree.

Don't worry about the humbug feeling texasgirl, when Christmas Eve arrives and you stop to count your blessings it will be there in full force. (PS, I'll be counting you in as one of mine this year. BIG HUG!!!)

Far too early for me, too, I'm afraid.

But, when I do get round to decorating, we put very little outside the house - and try to use traditional things inside like pine sprays and ivy garlands etc, with lots of candles and white lights and garland the mantlepieces and the staircases with fresh ivy etc and ribbons.

Texas I'm possibly the farthest thing from a professional counselour, but....

I know you miss your son terribly. If you realized how upset he'd be to know you cannot find joy in something you always found so joyful, you'd keep trying to find the spirit. I think if you do the things that are familiar to you, and they get you out of the house, (which we both know is so important) I have a feeling that you'll be glad you did. It's untrue that misery loves company. Misery wants to be alone so it can grow and consume. Get out, Texasgirl, please do. Then, take pictures and send them to your son!

I have no Spirit this year...
the grandsons are 19 & 22 so they will get gift cards to GameStop..My son Kevin already has his (early) since he had to try on his Leather Jacket. My other son and wife will get a check.
I don't want to be a Bah Humbug..I'm just not with it this year.

And no-one blames you for that, Dove. I am sure that many of us will be thinking of you at this special time of year. I'm not a believer, but I do believe that positive thoughts can give positive energy to those we are thinking about... so special positive thoughts are winging your way.

Dove, you are very strong. I don't know if I could have done as much as you are doing. Heaven and your family know that you are a wonderful person. :)

Marge,
of course this will be a very hard Christmas for all of you. Try to get out a little, sit very still and remember some of the special moments you shared with Paul and your boys.Chances are there will be tears,but tears cleanse us and help us remember our loved ones and the good times. there will always be that little twinge at birthdays and holidays, I know I'll have some this Christmas without my mom..But, I'm going to try to remember how she loved my dad's eggnog, the shine in her eyes when my sister or I opened a gift she had gotten us. How she loved her Mr. and Mrs. Santa she put up every year..This will help me through as will knowing she would not like it if my sister and I only had tears and no smiles. I know they both will be watching and loving us.

hugs to you Marge..
we all love our DC grandma
kadesma

I really love the Holidays even though there is just myself and Jolie. I love to see all the Christmas decorations in the Fashion Malls.

Jill, do you and your friends have a dinner together? It sounds like y'all have a great time during other times of the year. :)

Getting in the spirit.

All I have to do is put in the DVD of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol". I have a copy of all the ones made except the one with Albert Finney (which I am looking for). My favorite one is the black and white made in 1951, with Alastair Sim.

I do remember all the wonderful things we all did together..all the memories of the places we visited when we traveled in our 5th wheel and the changes of duty stations, the good times as well as the bad..they weren't so bad that we couldn't get through those lean years. He was a crack shot so we always had food on the table during that time.

I am trying to help my sons get through their loss.John is 51 and Kevin is 34..he keeps saying "I wish I had Dad for as many years as John did" I can't fix that except to tell him that his Dad loved him no more or no less than his brother.

On
thanksgiving and our Anniversary I gave my eldest grandson his watch.(with the permission of both sons.)
Enough of this,,,I will overcome and be OK
Marge

Back
Top Bottom