"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is exactly the kind of reaction the media loves! The camera would stay on that athlete for 5 minutes. Media are always looking for the biggest emotion to put on TV.
But it is difficult to hold an interview when you get no response. And the audience will respond to the athlete and not the reporter. If the reporter insists on asking questions, it will ruin their reputation. This is a young kid, not a serial killer they are trying to interview. The athlete will always have the sympathy of the audience.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #152
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was very angry with the photog who shoved a camera in McKayla Mahoney's face when she turned away from the TV cameras after she got the Silver in the vault. She was favored to win the gold and right then was not a good time to get a pic of her.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #153
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was very angry with the photog who shoved a camera in McKayla Mahoney's face when she turned away from the TV cameras after she got the Silver in the vault. She was favored to win the gold and right then was not a good time to get a pic of her.
While I agree with you, 100%, that is the job. They have done a good way of disconnecting their level of humanity, all to capitalize on someone else's moment of humanity(be it positive, or negative). I am constantly impressed with how the athletes deal with the constant attention, and always having a lens in their face, I couldn't do it, just because of that, I would snap.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #154
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yeah, I'd be giving them an up close and personal contact with their own camera...
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #155
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Lol! Rawr!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
They forget that these are just young people. Even charm school doesn't totally prepare them for what is to come. The kids of celebrities have a hard enough time, so imagine how difficult it is for these kids. It is the first time they have been exposed to all of this attention.

For so many of these kids that don't get the Gold, or even medal, it is like attending the funeral of their dreams. Too bad the reporters are required to attend Charm School also.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #157
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be giving them an up close and personal contact with their own camera...
When Son #3 was doing paramedic work, he was called to attend an horiffic crash after a police chase. The driver was trapped in the vehicle and badly injured. One of our local TV stations stuck their cameras inside the car. My son let out a stream of language that would never make the nightly news. A few finger gestures also helped seal the outcome. It was his way of protecting his patient. It worked every time for him and some of his friends. One station had the nerve to complain that the paramedics were interfering with the Freedom of the Press. And they were told about Patient Confidentiality. Case closed!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #158
Master Chef

I can't help but think during the medal ceremonies the US athletes look like they about to board the Space Shuttle in their rather bland looking monotone outfits.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #159
Master Chef

Well, I for one was out of control here last night watching the finals of the beach volleyball with USA vs USA. What a wonderful match!!
You go California girls!!

Whooooo Hoooooooooo !!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #160
Executive Chef

I'm very proud of the way my country has put on this event.I'm also proud of the way the British fan have behaved.A number of foreign athletes have stated how impartial the crowds are and the great support they were given.