"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #161
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I can't help but think during the medal ceremonies the US athletes look like they about to board the Space Shuttle in their rather bland looking monotone outfits.
R. Lauren's organization was responsible for the design and had them made in China. For those non-Americans, that will never happen again. Big stink. they should have been made in this country.

I think they should open the design of the Olympic outfits to competition of some lesser known designers. Give them a break they need. I am sure there will be some farout designs, but also some very attractive and pretty designs.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #162
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
R. Lauren's organization was responsible for the design and had them made in China. For those non-Americans, that will never happen again. Big stink. they should have been made in this country.

I think they should open the design of the Olympic outfits to competition of some lesser known designers. Give them a break they need. I am sure there will be some farout designs, but also some very attractive and pretty designs.
Not a bad idea, perhaps, some sort of Design Olympics?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #163
Executive Chef

At my house, the 11 o'clock news follows the olympics.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #164
Head Chef

The Womens Relay yesterday was fantastic, the USA got a new world record those women were amazing, so powerful!!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #165
Head Chef

Looking forward to the closing ceremony tomorrow, a celebration of British music and culture. Not sure who invited the Spice Girls though........
Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #166
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Looking forward to the closing ceremony tomorrow, a celebration of British music and culture. Not sure who invited the Spice Girls though........
Al Gore...

Sorry, it just popped out there
Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #167
Certified Cake Maniac

I agree, GQ! The men's relay (400 m) was awesome as well.

In some ways I am relieved it is almost over and in others I am sad. What started out disastrous and heartbreaking for Canada has turned inspirational on so many levels.

The media is saying that "Bronze is Canada's Gold", and it can be taken positive or negative, but I see it as only positive. While there were a few disappointments where we were "expecting gold", some of our athletes who were not even expected to medal at all poured out their hearts into their event and came up with silver and bronze. I for one am proud of all our athletes, whether they won a medal or weren't even able to complete their race.

My avatar says it all.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #168
Certified Cake Maniac

So is Elton John not part of the closing ceremonies either? It is stated to be about Britain's pop culture.......

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #169
Certified Pretend Chef

Just a small rant.

BMX bikes are what pre-teens and teens ride around our neighborhood. They think they are cool because they can do a trick or two. That's fine and I have no issue with that. I spent a lot of time on a bike when I was a kid too.

HOWEVER!!!!, making it an olympic sport is absurd. Grown men and women racing around an undulating curvy course on these mini bikes is about as stupid a "sport" as I can imagine.

What next? Synchronized swimming!?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #170
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Every one of the athletes is a star, whether the medal or not...they have fought to become the best of the best for their country and none of them are slouches. I find all of them inspirational.