"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #181
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I love synchronized swimming, and at least it's more of a sport than table tennis... It requires incredible skill and athleticism, not to mention form and grace. Why do people always make fun of it?? I used to practice a few moves with my aunt in the pool (who was on the synch swim team in high school) and it is unbelievably difficult. I'm sad I didn't get to see any of it this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1

I took advanced swim instructor/lifeguard classes as a teen, and a component was synchronized swimming moves. Incredibly difficult. A very beautiful sport, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
The synchronized swimming dig kind of hit a nerve because my bf and I argued about whether or not it's even a sport. He doesn't think it should be considered an Olympic sport.
I acknowledge the art, difficulty and athleticism involved in synch. swimming. It can even be enjoyable to watch. I would equate synch. swimming to ballet. One's done in the water, the other on a stage. I acknowledge the art, difficulty and athleticism of ballet as well. I consider neither to be a sport.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #182
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There was a TV show years ago that pitted ballet dancers against football players as far as athleticism, I think it was Fame. Guess who won?

I do agree that BMX biking shouldn't be an Olympic sport. And I had never heard of women's wrestling. DH says this is the first year for it.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #183
Master Chef

While we're at it, I don't think the horse jumping, etc. is a sport either....at least not a human sport. The horse has all the talent, the human is just a trainer!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #184
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
While we're at it, I don't think the horse jumping, etc. is a sport either....at least not a human sport. The horse has all the talent, the human is just a trainer!
It is the rider that has to train the horse. And staying on with those small saddles is no mean feat in itself. Those turns and jumps are telegraphed to the horse with the rider's legs. The reins are merely to use for the bit in the mouth of the horse. That goes for dresage as well. If you notice the reins stay loose at all times as the rider sits tall and straight. Then if your horse stumbles, you had better think fast and roll out of the way of the horse rolling on you. Keeping a horse that weighs often more than a thousand pounds with just your legs, well, you better be in the same shape as any athlete in other sports. And you will never see a female rider on a stallion. Those horses are just too unpredictable and dangerous. You better have the strength to bring it under control if it decides it doesn't want to work anymore. They will rear up and after they have thrown you, they will try to stomp you to death. They usually have a double bit in their mouth.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #185
Chef Extraordinaire

Is it the closing ceremony today?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #186
Certified Pretend Chef

Sunday
Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #187
Master Chef

All that being said Addie, there is no way I would call an animal trainer, an athlete, or the exercises a "sport".
It's beautiful to watch and I appreciate the effort of the rider in controlling the horse, not to mention the many hours of training involved. The fact is the rider would be nothing without the horse, and therefore it's beyond me why it's an Olympic sport.
Jez saying..

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #188
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

As a former barrel-racer...the horse is important and so is the rider. If someone else rode my horse, she was just a horse, walking, trotting, galloping. But, if I got on her I could have her running rings and jumping. Something she only did when she was in MY control and I could not have done it as well on my own. That said, it is NOT a sport. It is work and a vocation for horse and rider. The skills we demoed were skills we used to do our jobs off the show circuit.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #189
Executive Chef

To each his own as far as all of the Olympic sports go. I actually was very entertained by the BMX races. I am sure there is someone out there that would have the reason why it is a wonderful sport to have in the olympics. I don't understand why there are so many ice skating sports in the winter olympics. I love watching speed skating, but get bored after a while with the figure skating, and don't even like to watch the ice dancing. I am sure there is someone out there that could also make a good case as to why ice dancing is a sport too. I just don't care for it.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #190
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
As a former barrel-racer...the horse is important and so is the rider. If someone else rode my horse, she was just a horse, walking, trotting, galloping. But, if I got on her I could have her running rings and jumping. Something she only did when she was in MY control and I could not have done it as well on my own. That said, it is NOT a sport. It is work and a vocation for horse and rider. The skills we demoed were skills we used to do our jobs off the show circuit.
It is a matter of trust between the rider and the horse. And the knowledge each has of the other.