"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

cassius clay was so pretty! he'd tell you that every chance he got, lol. floated like a butterfly, and stung like a bee.

i'd hate to think he knows just how bad he's declined.

dawg, rulon gardner was a big, scary, olympic champion wrestler (u.s.a.).

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

We dont normally watch the olympics but like hearing all the info on the radio or in the paper etc

Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just burst into tears seeing Mohammed Ali, the progression of his Parkinson's disease is just terrible.
Yeah--that was sad to see.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, this became a popular thread in my absence.

I just skimmed the last page of posts because I saw a couple of spoilers regarding the opening ceremonies and I taped it.

I love to watch curling. I never curled, being the only one of my family that didn't at some point or other but it is not a west coast thing and I was 8 when we moved from the prairies. But I learned the strategy from my Dad. I watched some of the curling after he passed and it was bittersweet. But I will still watch because I love the game.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I applied to be a ladies sprints start judge (one of those guys who kneels behind the athletes staring at their feet )I failed the drool test.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I applied to be a ladies sprints start judge (one of those guys who kneels behind the athletes staring at their feet )I failed the drool test.
ROFL
Old 07-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #27
Head Chef

WOW! What a breathtaking, beautiful & flawless opening ceremony. Amazing to see how perfect everything is choreographed & moves seemlessly into the next segment, w/ thousands of people & performers. The lighting of the torch was magnificent, as were the merging of the rings and showering of lights. I think it even took Paul McCartney's breath away. Well Done!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #28
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am not a huge sports kinda guy, when it comes to the "TV" sports, but I DO LOVE ME SOME OLYMPICS!

I think it is a great show of the Human Race, I LOVE seeing underdogs come and clean house, I love the level of athleticism, especially from those that don't have a 60million dollar Nike endorsement, or some other nonsense, but folks who just love their sport, and do it because of passion, not a paycheck.

I wish there were more examples of Humans doing amazing things TOGETHER. And sure, while there is a level of competition, it is also a gathering of the best the planet has to offer, and at the end of the day, they all have respect for one another, regardless of politics/religion/race/creed/upbringing. . . all of the factors that seem to "define" the world today, yet act as a bigger wedge than anything else.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just burst into tears seeing Mohammed Ali, the progression of his Parkinson's disease is just terrible.
We have a resident with Parkson's. He too is progressing far too fast. He will have to go into a care facility pretty soon. It breaks my heart to see him.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

The lighting of the cauldron was absoluting breathtaking. I loved the fact that no one big name lit it. But tomorrow's young athletes. What an honor for them. Unknowns for now!

Far too many commercials. NBC refused to stream it live. They would have lost money with less commercials. I liked it better years ago when ABC had the contract for the Olympics. I think ABC has always done a better job broadcasting sports events.