"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

I was disappointed by the opening. The intent of the organizers was a good one, but the execution not so much. The fact that the TV commentators had to provide a running commentary explaining what was going on turned me off. I wonder what the folks in the stands were thinking. Also wondered how the folks in the nose bleed seats could see the details like little kids in the beds and such to make sense of it all.

I didn't watch the end of the show or the torch lighting.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I understand your frustration with the whole program. It didn't hold my interest. But if you missed the lighting of the cauldron, you missed the very best part. If they should show it again, I suggest very strongly, that you try to catch it. It was very moving and beautiful. And surprising as to who was going to light the cauldron.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I watched it, although, I was put off by the decision NBC made not to show it live. I figured it would be edited for commercial concerns. I reckon it would have been too much to hope for that any network would carry it live and uninterrupted, despite all the hoorah about it's importance. Even so, I found it an amazing and impressive event. I am looking forward to the British contingent of D.C.'s comments on it.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

BBC streamed it live at an earlier time. Unfortunately, I don't get BBC. NBC is more interested in making money from the commericals than pleasing the public.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

NBC is fourth among the top four networks and is desperate for a winner. They have the Olympics on all of their networks and will keep them in prime time for a couple of reasons. Prime time is when most people turn on their TVs so they get max viewers and they can charge more for commercials in prime time so there is a better chance of the Olympics' being profitable for them. I guess that's all really one reason. I think the majority of viewers are couples who have been working all day and sit down for a night of TV. Imagine how angry they would be if they missed the opening ceremonies because it was on live five hours earlier.

NBC paid tons for the rights to televise the Olympics. They have to earn that back.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I understand all that, Andy. I reckon you have a point. Still, all this is part of many reasons why I choose not to watch much TV at all. As far as the viewers missing the live telecast...they had to watch tape anyway...Why not show it live, then an edited encore showing?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I understand all that, Andy. I reckon you have a point. Still, all this is part of many reasons why I choose not to watch much TV at all. As far as the viewers missing the live telecast...they had to watch tape anyway...Why not show it live, then an edited encore showing?

I guess they could have done that. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
Head Chef

I thought the opening ceremony, produced by Danny Boyle - was stunning. It was quirky too - a British thing!! Loved the Mary Poppins bit and the tribute to our superb NHS service. The music too was wonderful.

Strangely enough, my husband has been glued to the Womens Beach Volleyball, I can't think what's interesting about that..................apart from teeny tiny knickers.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #39
Master Chef

I'm glad we recorded the opening ceremony and watched it this morning. Good grief some of it was so boring I'm glad we could fast forward through some of it including the commercials.

The part where the orchestra played the beautiful "Chariots of Fire" was ruined by that idiot British comedian. What's up with that?

For the most part, I thought it was the worse opening ceremony ever, with the exception of the involvement of the Queen. What a really great sport she is! Just outstanding PR on her behalf. I was worried at first that Paul had lost his good voice, but it turned out he was choked up with the wonder of it all. I loved the lighting of the torch as always, but I wish it would have raised up somehow so the city can see it throughout the games.

I'm most looking forward to the Beach Volleyball as that was my game many many moons ago. Naturally, Steve likes their outfits.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Here is a vid of the cauldron lighting, the best version I could find. It was spectacular.