"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #41
Head Chef

Kayelle - the comedian was Rowan Atkinson as his Mr Bean character. Quirky humour, as I say.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Kayelle - the comedian was Rowan Atkinson as his Mr Bean character. Quirky humour, as I say.
I thought it was the funniest thing he ever did...

Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #43
Executive Chef

We shall catch the gymnastics and the horse dressage and The Vet also likes track.

London has uncountable visitors, and we were unable to get over as we have apartment reforms to handle and prefer to avoid London during such enormous events ... We are on Adriatic resting ...

Enjoy, and have lovely wkend.
Margaux.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I usually enjoy quirky British humor GQ In fact, I can't wait for Doc Martin to start another season. I hope I didn't offend, but I really thought he ruined a beautiful and meaningful piece of music that could have been a lovely moment. Different strokes for different folks, PF.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen,

MR. BEAN, yes he is quite quirky ... The former Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, often called just ZAPATERO ( SHOEMAKER ) resembles MR. BEAN according to many Spanish People. It was actually a cartoon in the major newspapers !!! Sort of have facial expressions that are quite similar ...

Kindest. Margi
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Rather watch Arctic wildlife documentaries (like ''Nature' on PBS).
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #47
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, so we just finished the opening ceremonies. Thank heaven for the fast forward and skip buttons on our PVR remote!

I honestly didn't know who Danny Boyle was until they mentioned "Slumdog Millionaire". DH and I watched half an hour before we turned it off. Boring and not our kind of movie. I found these ceremonies very similar, though there were some good parts:
-Kevin Branagh
-Mohammed Ali
-JK Rowlings (just because she never appears in public)
-The children's choirs
-The music sequence but they missed out on U2 and Elton John (and for that matter Bob Geldof)
- The cauldron. Probably the best one ever as each "petal" represents a country and they came together as the world.
- Paul McCartney

Some parts I didn't like:
- The Queen looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there.
- Liked Mr. Bean, but would have enjoyed seeing the orchestra - that is a classic British piece of music not to mention its Olympic ties.
- Daniel Craig

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

oh yeah, Daniel Craig gets the Gold from me...

I was thinking Queen Elizabeth looked like she was trying to NOT be teary eyed and was holding it back.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
oh yeah, Daniel Craig gets the Gold from me...

I was thinking Queen Elizabeth looked like she was trying to NOT be teary eyed and was holding it back.
+ 1. As did Sir Paul. I enjoyed the whole thing! Totally British, totally quirky. Did wonder why Elton John wasn't there, he's closely tied to the Royals.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #50
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+ 1. As did Sir Paul. I enjoyed the whole thing! Totally British, totally quirky. Did wonder why Elton John wasn't there, he's closely tied to the Royals.
My dad and I talked about the same thing this morning, Seems like Sir Elton was the only one missing.

I can't believe the Mr.Bean hating, lol. It's Mr.Bean, the bit was meant to be funny, and break things up a bit, a little bit of comic relief never hurt anything, sheesh. People are going to rag on Mr.bean, and not that pop star kiddy show stuff in the middle, where she looses her phone, he picks it up, and calls her on the lost phone?? C'mon.

While I still think the Beijing Opening Ceremonies are by far the best ever, and will be for quite some time, it is just hard to compare the two as they are just different animals all together. It is sad to see 90% of the Beijing Olympic complex rotting away, they look like a post apocalyptic scene from a movie.