Is Anyone following the Summer Olympics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought you might enjoy a side note. There are certain times of the year when companies do not hire any one. From Thanksgiving to January 2nd. And during Olympic Years. Absenteeism is high during those times. :ermm:

I have been talking with friends in London. . . not surprisingly, No work is getting done in the City, unless you are working in pubs or restaurants. It's basically just one large party.

While there are a few contenders that are "overweight blobs", by and large, that doesn't represent the heavy weight as a whole.

Heavyweight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take a quick look at the current champs, and see who is an overweight blob. . .
Tat mate maybe I was a bit over the top but I had just watched a terrible bout featuring a football player who converted to boxing 2 yrs ago being humiliated by an average opponent.
The late great Teofilo Stevenson (three gold medals) or the great Ali would have been embarrassed to enter the ring with this crop of boxers.
I was lucky to meet both(not in the ring:)) I met Ali in the Q club in London (I was the only white person there) I asked him about TS, his comment was he would love to fight him as a proffesional but not box him as an amateur.
Olympic Boxing needs a strong US team in all weights, what has happened?

Buon Giorno,

Saturday night at the Hotel Bar in Corfu, we caught the Swimming Championships for the Gold Medal.

The Netherlands won the Gold.

Not 10%, here and there ... We have been celebrating the Vet´s birthday 60 km. from Puglia, Italia via Ferry in Corfu, Greece ...

There are seven Ionic islands, and Corfu, is the Capital and the main island. We are have taken a tour of several of the others.

Amazing, one is an island of wild Oregano ( have 3 whole bags of it ); one is a fishermens´ paradise, one is for raising and breeding Donkies, and one is just virgin beaches to die for ... with tiny hotels. .
you missed out the cricket and the classic corfu blow back.

Ps for those who do not know about the blow back, please place the toilet paper (used) in the bin provided in the bathroom.

The European Newspapers Have Excellent Coverage

Laurie,

Innovative and timely Thread.

The European Newspapers have excellent coverage, including 10 pages of Photographs with the Contestants, the Order of the Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals and a bio on each of the contestants too ...

Spain has done quite well in the Swimming and Water Sports areas.

Kind regards,
Ciao, Margi. ( 8th August - Wednesday )

Okay, so what's up with Canada and contraversy. It seems that we can't get a break.

Our soccer women play a fantastic game that is shaken with two dubious (I won't say wrong) calls, and not only do they lose the game but after reporters stick microphones in their faces seconds after it is over asking "how do you feel", they are now under review for bad mouthing the official. I haven't had it on today, so I don't know if the players (including our awesome captain) will be expelled from the bronze medal game.

A Canadian boxer fought his heart out against a Brit in his quarter final match, the only Canadian to get that far in awhile. He was a washout in the first round but clearly won the second and third. They were tied in points and the judges gave it to the British fighter.

We had a male swimmer told he wasn't was and wasn't again in the final of a race because of a Chinese swimmer appealing and winning a false start charge. Yes, if there was no problem he would have been ninth and not make it, and they didn't appeal, but it is hard on them when they have such a routine in preparation. Same happened with a Female swimmer where she thought she was done so didn't rest and had to come back and swim in a semi.

I am not mad about any of this really. And I know there were many other controversies with many other countries (the Nigerian runner who threw a race was disqualified from the 1500 that he wanted to run, was put back in and won it). It is just the Canadian in me and our "why does this always happen to us", mentality. :rolleyes: (Alix, Taxlady, CWS, etc. don't worry I have my tongue planted firmly in my cheek ;))

I cannot speak about the dubious calls, not having any background in the game. There sure did seem to be some obscure rules invoked, according to the commentary I heard on the TV.
I do wish that the reporters covering the game would be required to wait in an area away from the athletes. Give them a chance to compose themselves....win or lose...and not just the Olympics...all sports.
I am not sure if these games are less organized than games in the past or if there is simply more intrusion by the media, looking for "the story". Likely, there is the same kind of thing occurring in every Olympics, we just are hearing about it more and more.

Before heading to London, the athletes are sent to media charm school. They are more or less told to suck it up and smile. Always cooperate with and answer all questions the media asks you. I personally would love to see one losing athlete break down into deep sobs when the reporter sticks a mike into their face. It would leave the reporter speechless. :mad:

... I personally would love to see one losing athlete break down into deep sobs when the reporter sticks a mike into their face. It would leave the reporter speechless. :mad:

This is exactly the kind of reaction the media loves! The camera would stay on that athlete for 5 minutes. Media are always looking for the biggest emotion to put on TV.

This is exactly the kind of reaction the media loves! The camera would stay on that athlete for 5 minutes. Media are always looking for the biggest emotion to put on TV.

But it is difficult to hold an interview when you get no response. And the audience will respond to the athlete and not the reporter. If the reporter insists on asking questions, it will ruin their reputation. This is a young kid, not a serial killer they are trying to interview. The athlete will always have the sympathy of the audience. :)

I was very angry with the photog who shoved a camera in McKayla Mahoney's face when she turned away from the TV cameras after she got the Silver in the vault. She was favored to win the gold and right then was not a good time to get a pic of her.

I was very angry with the photog who shoved a camera in McKayla Mahoney's face when she turned away from the TV cameras after she got the Silver in the vault. She was favored to win the gold and right then was not a good time to get a pic of her.

While I agree with you, 100%, that is the job. They have done a good way of disconnecting their level of humanity, all to capitalize on someone else's moment of humanity(be it positive, or negative). I am constantly impressed with how the athletes deal with the constant attention, and always having a lens in their face, I couldn't do it, just because of that, I would snap.

They forget that these are just young people. Even charm school doesn't totally prepare them for what is to come. The kids of celebrities have a hard enough time, so imagine how difficult it is for these kids. It is the first time they have been exposed to all of this attention.

For so many of these kids that don't get the Gold, or even medal, it is like attending the funeral of their dreams. Too bad the reporters are required to attend Charm School also. :(

Yeah, I'd be giving them an up close and personal contact with their own camera...

When Son #3 was doing paramedic work, he was called to attend an horiffic crash after a police chase. The driver was trapped in the vehicle and badly injured. One of our local TV stations stuck their cameras inside the car. My son let out a stream of language that would never make the nightly news. A few finger gestures also helped seal the outcome. It was his way of protecting his patient. It worked every time for him and some of his friends. One station had the nerve to complain that the paramedics were interfering with the Freedom of the Press. And they were told about Patient Confidentiality. Case closed! :ohmy:;)

:punk::clap::clap::punk:Well, I for one was out of control here last night watching the finals of the beach volleyball with USA vs USA. What a wonderful match!!
You go California girls!!

Whooooo Hoooooooooo !!!

I'm very proud of the way my country has put on this event.I'm also proud of the way the British fan have behaved.A number of foreign athletes have stated how impartial the crowds are and the great support they were given.

Back
Top Bottom