Is Anyone following the Summer Olympics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love synchronized swimming, and at least it's more of a sport than table tennis... It requires incredible skill and athleticism, not to mention form and grace. Why do people always make fun of it?? I used to practice a few moves with my aunt in the pool (who was on the synch swim team in high school) and it is unbelievably difficult. I'm sad I didn't get to see any of it this year.

+1

I took advanced swim instructor/lifeguard classes as a teen, and a component was synchronized swimming moves. Incredibly difficult. A very beautiful sport, IMHO.

The synchronized swimming dig kind of hit a nerve because my bf and I argued about whether or not it's even a sport. He doesn't think it should be considered an Olympic sport.

I acknowledge the art, difficulty and athleticism involved in synch. swimming. It can even be enjoyable to watch. I would equate synch. swimming to ballet. One's done in the water, the other on a stage. I acknowledge the art, difficulty and athleticism of ballet as well. I consider neither to be a sport.

There was a TV show years ago that pitted ballet dancers against football players as far as athleticism, I think it was Fame. Guess who won?

I do agree that BMX biking shouldn't be an Olympic sport. And I had never heard of women's wrestling. DH says this is the first year for it.

Last edited:
While we're at it, I don't think the horse jumping, etc. is a sport either....at least not a human sport. The horse has all the talent, the human is just a trainer!

Last edited:
While we're at it, I don't think the horse jumping, etc. is a sport either....at least not a human sport. The horse has all the talent, the human is just a trainer!

It is the rider that has to train the horse. And staying on with those small saddles is no mean feat in itself. Those turns and jumps are telegraphed to the horse with the rider's legs. The reins are merely to use for the bit in the mouth of the horse. That goes for dresage as well. If you notice the reins stay loose at all times as the rider sits tall and straight. Then if your horse stumbles, you had better think fast and roll out of the way of the horse rolling on you. Keeping a horse that weighs often more than a thousand pounds with just your legs, well, you better be in the same shape as any athlete in other sports. And you will never see a female rider on a stallion. Those horses are just too unpredictable and dangerous. You better have the strength to bring it under control if it decides it doesn't want to work anymore. They will rear up and after they have thrown you, they will try to stomp you to death. They usually have a double bit in their mouth.

All that being said Addie, there is no way I would call an animal trainer, an athlete, or the exercises a "sport".
It's beautiful to watch and I appreciate the effort of the rider in controlling the horse, not to mention the many hours of training involved. The fact is the rider would be nothing without the horse, and therefore it's beyond me why it's an Olympic sport.
Jez saying..:rolleyes:

As a former barrel-racer...the horse is important and so is the rider. If someone else rode my horse, she was just a horse, walking, trotting, galloping. But, if I got on her I could have her running rings and jumping. Something she only did when she was in MY control and I could not have done it as well on my own. That said, it is NOT a sport. It is work and a vocation for horse and rider. The skills we demoed were skills we used to do our jobs off the show circuit.

To each his own as far as all of the Olympic sports go. I actually was very entertained by the BMX races. I am sure there is someone out there that would have the reason why it is a wonderful sport to have in the olympics. I don't understand why there are so many ice skating sports in the winter olympics. I love watching speed skating, but get bored after a while with the figure skating, and don't even like to watch the ice dancing. I am sure there is someone out there that could also make a good case as to why ice dancing is a sport too. I just don't care for it.

As a former barrel-racer...the horse is important and so is the rider. If someone else rode my horse, she was just a horse, walking, trotting, galloping. But, if I got on her I could have her running rings and jumping. Something she only did when she was in MY control and I could not have done it as well on my own. That said, it is NOT a sport. It is work and a vocation for horse and rider. The skills we demoed were skills we used to do our jobs off the show circuit.

It is a matter of trust between the rider and the horse. And the knowledge each has of the other.

... Horses are dumb.

It is a matter of trust between the rider and the horse. And the knowledge each has of the other.

A lot of accolades for someone that said they are dumb;)

I certainly have a lot of respect for anyone that hops on an animal, and commands the respect OF that animal, to go out, and work as a team. It's pretty amazing, imo. To classify it as a "sport", doesn't seem wrong, but now that I think about it, it's certainly not like a SPORT, like say Rugby(returning in the 2016 Olympics). It's certainly an AWESOME collaboration between human, and animal, and I have respect for both.

This was a pretty neat link relating to the Rhythmic Gymnastics. . . I hate to admit it, but I watched some while napping off and on this afternoon, mainly because the remote was out of reach, and I was deeply engaged in my role of Captain Lazy.

21 Reasons Olympic Rhythmic Gymnastics Is Cooler Than You Think

I was watching beach volleyball and realized that just about the entire Olympics is about taking a perfectly fun activity and pushing it to the extreme. It changes from something to do on a summer afternoon into work and business. I still like watching it but sometimes I wonder what these folks do for fun!

I was watching beach volleyball and realized that just about the entire Olympics is about taking a perfectly fun activity and pushing it to the extreme. It changes from something to do on a summer afternoon into work and business. I still like watching it but sometimes I wonder what these folks do for fun!

I hear ya loud and clear. I find that people who are involved in sports, go way overboard. Even if they aren't training for competition. The food they eat, the clothing to show of their body, attending every sports event, etc. They seem to be unable to even hold a conversation without bringing sports into it. And it isn't just men. Women are just as bad. "Sorry, I can't meet you for lunch. I go running on my lunch hour." They bring a duffel bag to work with their running clothes and shoes. They bring a lunch with them that is full of alfalfa. Feed for horses. Their idea of a date is to attend a sports event. Then after instead of going for a drink, they sit and dissect every move the two opponents made.

Sports fanatics, do me a favor. Don't every come to visit me. You are not well rounded people. :huh::rolleyes:

oh, i'm sure you could have jumped and run rings just as well on your own two feet...

:innocent:

Then I could have, yes:LOL: This was in the very remote past...our career both working and show circuit (rodeo) ended between the headlights of the dairy tanker. I just didn't have the heart to train another horse and I was just then considering that boys were more interesting than horses.

Just watched the team rhythmic gymnastics, wow! Absolutely gorgeous.

Just watched the team rhythmic gymnastics, wow! Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm not gonna lie. . .the link that I posted just a few posts up got me thinking, so I did watch some of it, and wow. The choreography aspect is pretty amazing, and the apparatuses they use, while they seem silly, it does command some serious skill to get it to all come together.

Back
Top Bottom