Is chivalry dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We gentleman are few and far between I think...

I've had my share of "independent" women ***** me out for holding open a door, but I just pass it off as ignorance. It's a common courtesy I provide to everyone.

My dad opened the car door (and other doors) for my mom every day until she died. James opens doors for me too. Sometimes, if we are in a hurry or if James doesn't feel good, I will get out before he can come around.

On the other hand, as many of you have said, I open doors (and give up seats) for others too. I think it is just common courtesy to try to make things easier for others if you have the chance to, especially if they have a disability or are frail in any way. I've known women who get upset if someone holds a door for them, but most of the women I know appreciate the gesture.

LOL Sorry to go a little off-topic with this, but this just reminded me of a conversation my mom had with another woman several years ago. The woman found out that my mom didn't have a career and was "just" a homemaker. She went on and on about how my mom (who was a homemaker by choice) was not free. My mom just looked at her and said, "If I feel like going to a movie or shopping in the middle of the day, I can do that whenever I want. Can you?" :cool:

:) Barbara

My DH is truley chivalrous. As well as all the opening doors, holding coats etc he truely tries to anticipate my needs and wishes and make me comfortable. I am always so proud of him when he stands for others to have his seat on public transport (as I stand for people who need my sest more too). I was once really amazed when he stood for a young and fit looking woman, I mentioned I thought he had gone OTT, as at the far end of the carriage there was a spare seat...shortly two seat together cleared, so I moved and we sat together, I pointed out there had been a spare seat, and he pointed out the woman's shoes and said, I have seen your feet at the end of the day and I know sometimes you'll stand on them rather than walk further in those heels. I was amazed, as I have never complained but that is exactly what I do but it was a lesson to me that my DH is truely special and attentive and kind.

Unfortunatley to an extent I agree with Clutch. We have vociferous feminists in out family and I have to agree the young men in the family don't know which way to turn to get things right. I feel extremely sorry for them. I also feel they have undermined the right my DH and I have to fill mopre traditional roles, though I feel not working atm my voice and opinion is taaken as seriously by DH as it was when I was the main breadwinner. Regardless of my right to vote and be heard I still enjoy being feminine n being cared for and respected as a woman. :)

Barb L, you remind me of a hilarious story I experienced. A well known feminist was talking to a woman about their daughters, and the feminist was expressing horror that the other woman's (an academic secretary) daughter was marrying and planning to stay home, and saying that their daughters' generation did not apprieciate the fight that these women had had. The feminist asked the other woman what she would have been if she could have been anything and not subjected to the dominian of men to be "merely" administartion..and the other woman, getting obviously annoyed with the feminists attacki on her daughter hissed "a houdsewife, but we had bills to pay" I giggled in the corner!

Last edited:
Please excuse me for being so late to this gathering of you ladies (and guys)

Amber...Let me assure you and others that Chilvary is not dead!! It does exist and prospers in many areas. I see it alot here in my area..It is as much a part of me as the beat of my heart...it is done without thinking, there is no real conscious thought..it just happens! To be otherwise would be totally foreign...
You women can be "I am woman. I am strong" and still deserve/expect to be treated and respected as a lady!

Thank you Ma'am, for allowing me to interupt your discussion with my brief comments.

Uncle Bob

I`m one of those "Bad Guys" as outlined in the defintion set in post #3
where I come from, The men are Men and the Women are Gratefull :cool::-p

(may as well live up to the stereo-type).

There have been a number of times when Crystal Is cold, but won't admit it to me. No matter how many times I ask her if she is she'll say she's fine. I've learned to just take off my jacket and give it to her. Lemme say, she looks really cute in my Mustang jacket! LOL!!

I've run into 2 or 3 "feminists" when holding doors, only one of them really said anything. Her boyfriend looked as if he was her slave. It was kinda scary. I said something to her, don't remember exactly what, but something along the lines of, "Women complain about chilvary being dead, but when a guy acts chilvarous, women get offended. What gives?" I wanted to say something about how she looked like a man and how if she didn't put a bra on . . . . . . Well, we all know what would have happened there. LOL! But I was a good boy and bit my tounge.

Chivalry is not dead just try opening up your eyes to nicer guys you wouldn't have noticed before.

I grew up around chivalrous men who treated me like a lady, and I expected, and got, the same from my boyfriends.
I've seen how the younger men treat their girlfriends these days, and I must say I don't approve. But the young women don't seem to expect any better, and I suppose the feminist movement is largely the cause of that. Or perhaps it's the way they were raised. Maybe people are just getting lazy about using good manners.
Those same young men are very polite to me though...perhaps because I'm an older lady who walks with a cane.
By the way, don't get the idea that I disapprove the feminist movement. I AM woman, and I AM strong! I've proved that in many ways in my lifetime.

That doesn't mean I can't enjoy having the door opened for me.

I see it every day. The majority of guys I see act chivalrous as a matter of fact. I see men holding doors open, letting the ladies go first, giving up a seat, etc. i actually see it more than I don't.

One of the things I cherish about Ken is how chivalrous he is. He never fails to open and close doors for me, help me into and out of cars etc etc. He never even thinks about it, just does it. He does it for his mom and mine too. Its one of those things I am glad my daughters see so that they know what to look for in a boyfriend/husband.

Philly, you make a good point, because I've seen this happen countless times...a guys opens a door for a woman and she doesnt thank him or even acknowledge him in some way. Very rude IMO. I always thank people when they are courteous towards me.

My momma raised me well, and so did my dad. My significant other will attest to it. I ALWAYS make sure to hold doors, or even get her car door open and hold it before I do, when on the metro she was surprised even, when I gave up my seat for a lady that was standing, and funny enough, after I did it, a few more men on the rain did, lol!

I do NOT think women killed anything, it is a cop out. I do know that simple actions, repeatidly, can start to get taken for granted, and become "thankless", but I choose to be a better person. Just my $.02

...and in keeping with good manners, and a courteous attitude, I will not mention that you got the idea from the RR Talk show...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I dont think most women want it anymore. At least not much of it. Outside of paying for the bill that is. Most ALL women I meet want a man that has money. Personality is a close second.

Well, I must have found the only woman who relies solely on personallity! Cause I sure as heck don't got the loot! LOL!!!

Don't get me wrong. I make enough to take care of my baby. I will pass on buying clothes or parts for the Stang to buy something nice for Crystal or something she needs, if it comes down to it, just because that's the kind of person I am. I'm helping her pay off a credit card full of charges that have nothing to do with me so she can concentrate on her car payments and I'm helping her get herself back into school.

I've noticed something among my friends. My friend Jester (I will use nicknames to protect the innocent) and I were both raised solely by our mothers and we are very caring people and we go out of the way to help others and especialy the ones we love. Beave is an in-between. His father took and still takes very good care of his mother and he does the same for women, but does have a few limits. Dragon's father was rather forceful with his mother and he seems to be going down the same path. I almost got into it with him one night cause of how he was "playing" with his GF. I've also noticed men who are brought up by their fathers to love/worship sports tend to be stupid and insecure about themselves and will do anything to hide it.

Here's the real test ladies: Will your man, go to the store alone, and get you your "monthly" products without a second thought?

I've done this twice, at least, for my GF and it startled the daylights out of her the first time. She told me she needed them. I asked what she needed and she told me, not expecting me to get it at all, and when I showed up with them, her jaw dropped. The guy behind me in line was mumbling something about it and the cashier (around 25-ish) just kinda looked at me a little funny, like she had never seen a man buy them before. I kinda get a kick out of buying stuff like that just from the looks I get.

men have been chivalrous towards women for about a thousand years now, and where has it gotten us??? if we had any brains at all, we'd have given up much sooner.

ok. most people know (i hope) that i'm a sucker for a one (or 2) liner. just couldn't resist that.

now that i've gotten that out of my system, let me say that it's about time chivalry (in the sense of holding doors for ladies, or standing up when they enter a room), if not quite dead, should be put out of it's misery in a quick and humane manner.

i think it's a wonderful thing that women's rights (and all other rights groups) have come along and finally clobbered some common sense into the general public. having someone hold your chair when you are seated is pretty poor recompense for not having property rights or voting rights. or the right for equal pay and education. as a simple meaningless "courtesy" at a formal dinner, it's fine in my opinion. but as a pervasive, everyday, everywhere practice, this kind of chivalry towards women can lead to too many negative social ramifications, even if only on the subconcious level.

on the other hand, while there can never be too much,and it can well be said that there's too little, i think that chivalry in the sense of being magnaminous and courteous to others in general is neither dead nor dying. nor should it. my rule of thumb is to always be courteous (give up seat on train, get the door, etc.) for: the elderly, the handicapped, obviously pregnant women, and people carrying babies. other than that, i'm courteous in general, but i believe the door should swing both ways. i don't feel the need to give up my seat on the train to someone simply because they happen to be female.

too many of the woes of on our poor planet are simply due to the fact that we see our selves or our group as being different from (and all too often, somehow superior to) others. the less of that kind of nonsense the better.

icon12.gif

I was raised to be polite, courteous and I've become almost gracious as I've aged. I imagine as a martial artist, chivalry should be second nature and I've certainly put myself in difficult situations because I couldn't stand to see a woman abused in any way. I like waking up in the morning feeling good about myself so it works out well for everyone.

In reply to Philso.

I don't stand up when a woman enters the room and I am sitting down. I have only twice gone as far as to "hold a chair" for a woman and they were both with my current GF, Crystal and both times it was in a joking manner.

I take care of Crystal for one simple reason: MY JOB is to keep a smile on her face. It is a TRUE full time job and if she isn't smiling, I'm doing a bad job.

Also, if she isn't smiling long enough, I'm out half my stuff. LOL!! Just kidding!

I hold doors for those who really need it (elderly and handicapped) for as long as they take to get in. I will hold the door for the person behind me and 92% of the time get thanked for it. When I am on line at any store, I try to strike up a conversation with the person at the register and I understand if/when there is a problem it's not their fault and don't yell at them. If I walk past people anywhere, I try to say 'hello' or 'how are you?'. Just plain be polite.

Life is too short to be a chooch to everyone and be miserable all the time. I work with a handful of people who are like that and I try to just stay away from them as much as I can. There is one that I have to work with Monday thru Thursday and all I do is kill her with kindness.

On the flip side, as I have stated before, I have let the door slam on people for being ignorant or rude.

Here's another question on behalf of politeness:
If you're in line at the grocery store and the person behind you only has a couple items (as opposed to your half full grocery cart), do you let them go first?

I do. I appreciate it when somebody does that for me. I suppose I grew up learning to treat other how I'd like to be treated. I like it when someone holds the door open for me if they've just gone through, with 2 small kids in tow it is especially handy! I don't like when they just waltz through without saying a single word or acknowledging me in any way.

I feel like people are just too rushed to be polite these days. Lazy too maybe. Too rushed to fix their terrible parking job, too lazy to say please when they order their quadruple, extra hot, no whip, extra foam, soy, no sugar caramel latte with a cherry on top.

Something that I've thought a lot about since having our kids is that I think it is sooo important to teach my kids about respect! Saying please and thank you and excuse me is something that Aidan is already very good at. And the looks of astonishment that he gets by saying "excuse me" to get past someone! He's learning right now of holding doors for others. Aidan's generation is the one that will be holding doors for me when I'm an old grandma. I'd better start lifting weights I suppose, to get in shape for pulling the doors open for myself. :LOL: I will have some peace of mind though, knowing that my boys will be doing what I have taught them. :)

Sushi, it is a poor class of women you meet who value only money.

Clutch, buying "monthly" products does not mean a man is chivalrous, it means he is immune to embarrassment or that a woman has planned badly. :LOL:

Philso, I can only speak for myself, but I personally feel respected when a man thinks enough of me to hold a door open or to hold my chair. In my eyes, it is a gesture of respect. Although there aren't many specific "rules" about women showing respect to men in public, there are many ways women can be respectful to men. Just because there are no books dedicated to the subject doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Oh, and for the record, I give up MY seat on the bus to elderly, pregnant and handicapped folks as well. That isn't just a male province. It seems to me the height of disrespect to see a well dressed young business man seated and fiddling with his Blackberry while an older lady is standing and trying not to topple over while the bus weaves. Oops. Sorry folks, got off on a little rant there.

Clutch said:
When they find this "good" or "nice" man, they automatically want a "bad" man. Like the Fonz.

LOL @ 'the Fonz' as a "bad" man :ROFLMAO:... That's who you come up with?!? That's funny.

Just so you know, the Fonz had that tough-guy exterior but had a heart of gold. I'm confident that he treated all of his women very well. :rolleyes:

As a gentleman, I shared your frustration for years. I finally met someone who likes to be treated well and who appreciates and even expects chivalry and kindness. It was worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom