"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Is chivalry dead?

Ok, without mentioning the show I saw this on today, I liked this topic because I do indeed like to see men being courteous towards women. I like having the door held open for me, etc. I find it quite surprising when a man actually lets me go ahead of him while walking in a door way, holding the door for me. I do the same for men and elderly actually.

So I for one would like to see more of this, more courtesy, politeness. Call it old fashioned if you want, but I think it's just nice.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I do too Amber. It would be nice if the bf did things like that for me once in awhile. I think
it's rather sweet when I see it.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hmmm, I guess I shouldn't come in here and tell you how I treat my GF?

Yes, Chilvary is dead and it was killed by women. Point in case, Women claim that they want a good man, a nice man. When they find this "good" or "nice" man, they automatically want a "bad" man. Like the Fonz. A guy who smokes camels, rides a harley and wears a leather jacket. Therefore, the "good" guys go out and change themselves to be the "bad" guys so they can get the girls.

Hey! I've seen it more then a dozen times!

But seriously, another part of the problem is men don't teach their sons to be that way. I know too many guys who have wives and kids and spend their weekends at strip joints. It's sad. My children will be chilvarious.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm old enough to remember that doing things like holding doors open for women, opening their car doors for them, standing when they enter a room, etc. was considered part of being a 'gentleman'.

When the woman's movement came along, I was no longer a gentleman but a male chauvinest pig for doing the same things.

That didn't make me change. I still do those things.

When my SO and I recently had dinner with another couple, the guy chided me for making him look bad by opening the car door for my SO.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I don't think it's dead... it's just well hidden these days. It's there, you just have to look for it.

And good for you Clutch! That's a good thing to hear.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

By all means clutch, I welcome your, as well as everyones opinion on this topic.

Clearly me and so far Middie as well, agree on this topic.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior Cook

It's not dead, but it is rare..

I was raised to respect other people and try to be as courteous as I can. That means holding the doors for all strangers, and assisting someone when they are in need. Sometime that need is obvious and sometimes it's not.

My wife and I have been together for 5 years, and I am proud of the fact that she still has never had to open the car door for herself. I know she can handle it, but I enjoy treating her in this way..

Essentially, Sarah deserves to be spoiled absolutely rotten. In attempt to not sound incredibly "corny", I work very hard every day to give her another reason to smile. And with a smile like hers, it's all the reward I need..

As for courteousness, it's just a matter of the society. Those with the trait are fewer and far between. A simple thank you, or "Yes sir/maam" is not difficult.

I heard a great quote about this topic, but I'll be darned if I can remember it..

:)

-Brad
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I'm old enough to remember that doing things like holding doors open for women, opening their car doors for them, standing when they enter a room, etc. was considered part of being a 'gentleman'.

When the woman's movement came along, I was no longer a gentleman but a male chauvinest pig for doing the same things.

That didn't make me change. I still do those things.

When my SO and I recently had dinner with another couple, the guy chided me for making him look bad by opening the car door for my SO.
I love that Andy, holding the door, and opening the car door, standing up when we enter the room. Lovely, I am glad you didnt change!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc
It's not dead, but it is rare..

I was raised to respect other people and try to be as courteous as I can. That means holding the doors for all strangers, and assisting someone when they are in need. Sometime that need is obvious and sometimes it's not.

My wife and I have been together for 5 years, and I am proud of the fact that she still has never had to open the car door for herself. I know she can handle it, but I enjoy treating her in this way..

Essentially, Sarah deserves to be spoiled absolutely rotten. In attempt to not sound incredibly "corny", I work very hard every day to give her another reason to smile. And with a smile like hers, it's all the reward I need..

As for courteousness, it's just a matter of the society. Those with the trait are fewer and far between. A simple thank you, or "Yes sir/maam" is not difficult.

I heard a great quote about this topic, but I'll be darned if I can remember it..

:)

-Brad
Good point, yes she can open the car door for herself, but you just do it for her because it's nice, thats great.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Yes, Chilvary is dead and it was killed by women.
I remember Dave Chappelle saying that...LOL!! I'm not so sure I agree, I think in general, people have become more self centered and rude. What ever happened to holding the door open for someone walking in right behind you???? I can't tell you how many times a women and men alike are so self absorbed that they can't wait a few seconds to kindly hold the door. Or... do it for someone else and they walk right by like you were suppose to hold the door for them. I guess I have always been taught to be kind and courteous to all.

But miss Amber, I do like it when men treat us like a lady, I have to give my hubby *snaps* for that... he still holds the door, opens the door, puts me first even tho I don't deserve it!