Is DC Hazardous To Your Health?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we last spoke on this topic, I've had a CAT scan and a cystoscopy and they both say I have nothing to worry about. The CAT scan was easy but the cystoscopy was a revisit of the catheter experience. Not as painful but a solid reminder.

Here's hoping all DC members can enjoy a run of good health for a while.
Andy, so glad you are doing well. Take care of yourself stay well friend.
kades

Thanks PF.

Between the nurses and doctors in the ER and the nurses at the urologist's office. I've never had so many females handle my junk and have nothing to show for it (if you know what I mean).

If you remember, Shrek had bladder cancer last fall. He had the urologist, me (for three days), the ER and then the Urologist who did the surgery. Aside from the last Urologist which he doesn't remember because he was out, he said I was the gentlest person who had come near him for the whole week.

PF and Andy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Will get back to you.

To be continued.....

Well, here I am. And lucky to be alive. At nine o'clock before I left to go to my appointment I check my sugar. It was 204. Way to high for me.

Ten-forty five a.m. They called my name. I wasn't feeling too good. Extremely sleepy, shaking, having a very severe case of the dry heaves, and just wanting to go to sleep. I could no longer sit up on my own. They tried to get my BP. Two different people tried. By the time they found a machine that would give them some sort of reading, my BP was 60 for the top number. My pulse was 50 and dropping. The next thing I know I am on a gurney and being rushed through the corridors to the ET. I opened my eyes just enough to see the student doctor running ahead to make way and get folks out of the way. They keep saying, "Adele don't leave me. Open your eyes. Can you hear me? Can you feel me touching you?" All I could do was grunt a reply. I have an oxygen mask on, and once we get to the ER, right in the corridor I have about eight people working on me. One is giving me an IV, someone is removing my clothes and placing stickies my chest and legs for an instant EKG, wake up Adele, don't leave me. Get the crash cart.

All I could say was call my son. You could hardly hear me. My BP was still dropping. All I wanted to do was go to sleep. They wouldn't let me. I was severely dehydrated and and they were trying to get my BP up and my sugars down. the blood work comes back the the lab. Something is wrong with my kidneys. By the time they had me stable, the nurse removes the IV too roughly. My skin is very fragile. She rips open the needle stick site. Not enough pressure on the site of the IV. I don't notice it until I am half dressed. I am standing there with blood pouring out of the vein. The thick gauze is soaked with blood and dripping all over me and the floor. She pulled of the tape too roughly. I get out of there at six in the evening. They wouldn't let me sleep.I called Son #1 to pick me up. I call my youngest one to let him know I am all right. I immediately layed down and went into a deep sleep for five hours. I am still shaky and have trouble walking. If I didn't have a need for a visit to the outhouse, I would still be sleeping. but as each minute passes, I am feeling stronger.

There was some disagreement as to whether I should be admitted. I stayed out of that conversation. Usually I am fighting to go home. Not this time. They made me walk a short distance. I appeared to be stable. All the numbers have improved tremendously. So they let me go. I manage to develop a migraine headache while I was there. They give me a shot for that and one for the nausea before I leave. The headache is gone, but not the nausea.

I am dringking plenty of water, no coffee. and just had a small bowl of crackers and milk. A childhood favorite. I am going back to sleep.

BTW, Katie, how did your surgery go? I was thinking of you on the way home.

Never did get the pre-op work done for the eye surgery. So we have to go back to square one. Is there an omen going on telling me that it should never take place? What else can happen? :)

Aaakkk, Addie! What an ordeal! How could they have released you? Take care sweetie!

Last edited:
Crimineys, Addie! What a day, I do hope you are feeling better and did they ever figure it out? Not just dehydration and high blood sugar, something else must have been going on. Scary!

Oh my dear sweet Addie,
I am so sorry I just saw this for the first time now. I went through several times when Dad's sugar level plummeted. It was very scary. They should have kept you over night. And I agree with Fiona that there must be something else going on.

Gentle hugs and lots of love and prayers heading your way. Take care of yourself. :angel:

Crimineys, Addie! What a day, I do hope you are feeling better and did they ever figure it out? Not just dehydration and high blood sugar, something else must have been going on. Scary!

My release papers said "Dehydration and High Sugar Levels." I don't understand how I became so dehydrated. I walk around with a bottle of water in hand all the time. I am acutely aware of how quickly and easily the elderly can become dehydrated. Even when I have a cup of coffee going. I will take a sip of coffee and then water. I have a cup holder on my scooter and even take a bottle with me. I know Winthrop will call me today to come in. They always do after a visit to the ER. And I was so exhausted, that I didn't get to talk to my youngest son for long, the one the ER doctor talked to. So I will get more information when I talk to him again.

I have been complaining to my Primary ever since he took me off the diabetes medicine and I started to eat again. I want to go back on it, but he is waiting to see if I continue eating. And I have. I am way past the 'no eating' problem. My son knows that I am "the feisty on." I always fight back. No matter how sick I am. After I had my open heart surgery, both he and the heart surgeon were surprised when I cam through trying to smile and gave them the circled fingers Okay signal. Immediately the intubation tube came out. The surgeon stated "She is going to do just fine." And I did. I was back to work in less than four weeks.

I will get more information when I talk to me son again. They did asked if I had congestive heart failure. With all the questions they asked about my heart, it leaves me thinking that there was something more going on. It is going on to five in the a.m. I am all slept out. and All the weakness, dizzines and other problems are now gone. I feel my old self again. One of the things everyone commented on as I got better yesterday was how much color had return to my face. I take it that grey was my color of the day yesterday. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking of you Addie

Thank you everyone for your caring messages. That is what I love about DC. People who genuinely care. For me, it can make a difference in my day. I will keep plugging away. If only because I know some of you will miss me. I have made some truly good amazing friends here at DC.

I have shown Son #1 how to notify you if something really serious happens to me. Even if I am in the hospital for just a couple of days. Since I usually post at least once a day, if I don't show up, someone will wonder and ask, "Where is Addie?" The last thing I want to do is create worry for any of my good frineds. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom