Is it difficult replacing socket board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
Example below. It's cracked. And I have a lot of socket boards like this home.
I have no electricity certificate or experience. Can I do it by myself? Is it safe by just following the general method taught by youtube or elsewhere?

Attachments

• 32324224424.jpg
    32324224424.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 139
If you're asking about replacing that cracked plastic, it's easy.

Those two buttons pop off to reveal screws. Undo the screws and the cracked switchplate will fall off.

Reverse the steps to put on the new one. You won't come in contact with any electrical bits unless you stick a screwdriver into the wires set into the wall.

I've never seen a switchplate like that before. But, they are just cosmetic. You don't need to be an electrician, as a long as, like Andy said, you don't poke your fingers and tools in around the wires.

CD

...You won't come in contact with any electrical bits unless you stick a screwdriver into the wires set into the wall.

...You don't need to be an electrician, as a long as, like Andy said, you don't poke your fingers and tools in around the wires.
It's so simple I've changed a cover plate for a light switch. :LOL: To be on the safe side, though, pull the fuse or flip the circuit breaker for the power to that socket. Better to be safe than sorry. I even kill the power to the garbage disposal if I need to dig anything out of its mouth, and it has an on/off switch that is in the "off" position with no chance of getting accidentally flipped.

No a complete replacement including the pressed button so probably need to touch some wires......

No a complete replacement including the pressed button so probably need to touch some wires......

That is different. You can still do it yourself, but you need to cut the power to that switch. That means either turning a breaker off, or removing a fuse, depending on how old your house is.

I have special tools that help me find the right breaker/fuse, and to test for current at the point of the switch. You can safely do it without those toolds, it is just easier with them.

If you lived near me, I could probably do it in ten minutes. But, without knowing more about the age of your home and electrical system, I don't know exactly what to tell you. Like I said, I've never seen a switch like that before, but it looks pretty old.

CD

Ok, ask a friend who’s done this do it for you. Although this is a very simple electrical job for most DIY’ers have someone walk you through it the first time.

Curious, the switch looks like you live out in the Far East. Where are you located?

Last edited:
Ok, ask a friend who’s done this do it for you. Although this is a very simple electrical job for most DIY’ers have someone walk you through it the first time.

Curious, the switch looks like you live out in the Far East. Where are you located?

clever, how can you tell from my switch?

Yes, I am in HK.

Last edited:
That is different. You can still do it yourself, but you need to cut the power to that switch. That means either turning a breaker off, or removing a fuse, depending on how old your house is.

I have special tools that help me find the right breaker/fuse, and to test for current at the point of the switch. You can safely do it without those toolds, it is just easier with them.

If you lived near me, I could probably do it in ten minutes. But, without knowing more about the age of your home and electrical system, I don't know exactly what to tell you. Like I said, I've never seen a switch like that before, but it looks pretty old.

CD

Thanks, but unfortunately, we are too far away. I will try to learn from Youtube.

Thanks, but unfortunately, we are too far away. I will try to learn from Youtube.

That's better than just diving in. As roadfix said, having a friend show you how the first time is a great idea.

The most important thing it to make sure the power going to that switch is OFF.

I've been shocked a few times. The las time, I got shocked, I was replacing a ceiling fan for a neighbor, and the fan motor and the light on the fan were on two separate circuits. I have no idea why someone would wire a house that way, but I went from standing on a ladder to siting on the floor very suddenly.

I now have and inexpensive probe that tells me if electricity is present where I am working. You just poke it around the wires you will be working with, and it will beep if power is present.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-NCVT-1SEN/100661787

Something like this should be available in HK. They are cheap, and can save your life.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom