Is it just me, or does Costco seem overpriced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in the 90's, Price Club back then, practically every item in the store, the savings were enormous shopping at these warehouses as they didn't have much competition. No other merchant matched their prices.
Till we dropped it five or so years ago, pretty much the only things I bought at BJ's were jarred roasted red peppers, capers, pine nuts, gas and electronics. I didn't have the space to store bulk paper goods, etc., and the Kroger that opened near us two years ago has as good or better prices on meats. We also have Aldi fairly nearby and a Lidl is opening soon. We just got a bunch of coupons for Lidl in the mail.

Kroger is slowly roping us in, though ;) With the fuel points we get on our purchases there, DH got gas for 99 cents a gallon there last week. He fills up his pickup and two gas cans with the maximum allowed, then fills my tank (Ford Escape Hybrid) and the lawn mower from the cans. It's been at least a year since I've had to pump gas [emoji38]

Also, the locally owned pharmacy we've been going to for over 25 years (I'm Facebook friends with the previous pharmacist/owner) was sold recently and service has gone way down. We're going to start switching our Rx to the pharmacy at Kroger and some mail-order. It makes me sad, but we have to pay a toll both ways to get to the independent place, so it isn't worth it anymore.

Last edited:
I am one of those who buys those small cans of Bush's Beans. Like you said, perfect size. For years I made my own beans. But I am alone now and buy my food accordingly.

My father loved the chili in the can. But not me. I would think the food industry would recognize that there are single folks out that don't need a full can of any food. Too bad they don't sell frozen chili. Then you could cook the exact amount of what you want.

Addie, if you have a Walmart nearby, they sell smaller 10 oz. cans of a "chili for hotdogs" for 50 cents. A more expensive national brand sells cans of chili for hot dogs (16 0z.) at $3.24. That gets way too expensive to make a few homemade "chili, cheese and onions" hot dogs.

Last edited:
Addie, if you have a Walmart nearby, they sell smaller 10 oz. cans of a "chili for hotdogs" for 50 cents. A more expensive national brand sells cans of chili for hot dogs (16 0z.) at $3.24. That gets way too expensive to make a few homemade "chili, cheese and onions" hot dogs.

Actually, I tried this stuff today. Walmart. Great Value brand chili sauce for hot dogs. It's nothing but bean mush and spices. No meat whatsoever. No wonder it only costs 50 cents for 10 oz can. Isn't chili (no beans) supposed to have a little meat in it? :ROFLMAO:

I sorta wish someone made small cans of chili no bean sauce like Bush's Baked beans does. :neutral:

Last edited:
Walmart is too far away from where I live. It is up on the North Shore in Lynn.

We have been getting TV ads for Wegmans. Supposedly there is a new one coming, but where it is going to be located seems to be a big secret. Costgo's and BJ's are readily available by public transportation. But then you have to tote all that stuff home on the bus.

Addie, it's not a secret at all. It's on their website.

Medford, MA at the Meadow Glen Mall

Natick, MA at the Natick Mall.

Neither is much help to you.

I have been using Sam's for over 25 years and for the most part they are great and they will absolutely save you a LOT of money, IF you actually use all of whatever you purchase. If you compare cost per ounce/pound/item it will almost always beat normal grocery store, even walmart prices by a large margin. I spend anywhere from 300-500 a month at Sam's shopping for my kids and I and my parents. The one really annoying thing about Sams is they will carry a product that you really enjoy a lot, then one day it will be gone to never return. That really annoys me but I save too much money to stop shopping there.

Costco I like as well but I rarely have a membership because I am just so used to Sams. Costco has a better variety of high end food items like sea food, cheese, packaged meats and so forth. I tend to spend more there because of those items, but I don't need them so I stick with Sams.

Last edited:
Addie, it's not a secret at all. It's on their website.

Medford, MA at the Meadow Glen Mall

Natick, MA at the Natick Mall.

Neither is much help to you.

Gee, if I want to travel for about two hours on public transportation, one way, Medford is the closest to me. Natick is completely out of the question.

We don't have Costco but I am a member at sams. We always get our water, toilet paper, paper towels and now members mark washing tablets. It didn't break anyone out and did the Job! It is a lot cheaper than tide... we have also tried the salmon grain free dog food there, it's on the expensive side but made the dogs poo rather loose, so we just feed them cans of salmon here and there or sardines.... and feed pride.

Just got my chicken salad and Chobani yogurt from my cousin who has a membership yesterday when we went up to VA to get Mom's hearing aids.

I also have a Sams and a Costco membership and feel the same way. Costco tends to have lower prices on food and cleaning supplies...not always, but more often than not. I just check the unit prices.
I like Sams cause the one by me has a gas pump with great prices, supposedly so does Costco but not the one by me...
My daughter swears the meat at Costco is ten times better than Sams...since I eat kosher I can't comment.
If I HAD to give up one of the two cards...I'd ditch the Costco...more for the gas than anything else though.

We redid our Costco membership because Jeannie needed new glasses... She feels they do best for her so, that's what we did..

We don't buy a lot there but, certain items are worth shopping @ Costco..

Ross

We used to have a membership to Sam's Club but no more. I prefer shopping at the local mom and pop grocery store for general groceries, meat at the local butcher shop. As for general goods, we buy from Target, Sears, K-Mart, local hardware stores, also some ebay and Amazon. I don't like Wal-Mart.

You have to be careful what you're paying per ounce on cleaning products, food, etc., because the huge warehouse sizes are sometimes not much of a savings. If you don't care about brands, you can really save money by buying whatever brand is on sale and shopping at 2 or 3 stores based on their sales.

Last edited:
We redid our Costco membership because Jeannie needed new glasses... She feels they do best for her so, that's what we did..

We don't buy a lot there but, certain items are worth shopping @ Costco..

Ross

Very true. Their Kirkland branded allergy pills are an awesome deal. I was out visiting my mom and I bought a year supply of my Zyrtec generic allergy meds in the Kirkland brand for only $10. They want that much for a month's supply at Dollar General or the super market. They also have the other allergy meds in their Kirkland brand like Claritin.

So some items are a great deal at Costco.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom